THE NEED OF SALVATION | THE NATURE OF SIN

1. What does God say about sin?

a) To some people, sin is the same as good fun. To others it is like sickness; they say there is no such thing, it is just like a dream in your mind. Some know that sin is doing what is not right, but think that you cannot help doing it.

b) What does God say about sin?

i) God has a right to tell me what to do and what not to do. And He has told me. If I do what God says I should not do, it is sin. If I refuse or forget to do what God tells me to do, that is sin. Sin is lawlessness, 1 John 3:4. Even if I do not know God's law, I sin if I break it. But if I know to do good and not do it, this is also sin, James 4:17.

@1. "All unrighteousness is sin", 1 John 5:17.

@2. To think of foolishness is sin, Proverbs 24:9.

@3. Whatever is not of faith is sin, Romans 14:23.

ii) In one word, sin is rebellion against God. Sin is saying, 'I will do whatever I please, and I don't care what God wants me to do."

iii) Sin is a cruel slave driver.

@1. Whatsoever committeth sin is the servant of sin", John 8:34.

@2. Sin deceives people, Hebrews 3:13.

@3. Sin causes death, James 1:15.

iv) God hates sin, Jeremiah 44:4. He is angry with the wicked every day, Psalms 7:11.

v) Which is the worst sin? There are lists of different sins in several places in the Bible. In Matthew 15:19 "evil thoughts" is the first on the list. In Galatians 5:19, adultery. In Mark 7:22, pride and foolishness are at the end. Talking about other people in an unkind way and not obeying parents are included in Romans 1:29-30.

vi) In some ways pride is the worst sin. In a list of seven things which the Lord hates, pride is the first, Proverbs 6:16-19. It is the sin that keeps many people from coming to God, because they are too proud to confess their sins. But God saves only sinners, not those who think they are good and righteous, Luke 5:32. He can help man only through Christ. To refuse to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord is the sin which cannot be forgiven. It is the result of pride and rebellion against God. 

Comments