ABOUT MY FATHER'S BUSINESS (2)

1. About My Father's Business

a) What was Jesus referring to when He said, "I must be about My Father's business?" This phrase "My Father's business" was only mentioned once in the Bible in Luke 2:49. 

b) Various Bible translations (ASV, NIV, CEV, TLB, RSV, NAS) use the phrase "My Father's house." Only  KJV and NKJV use the phrase "My Father's business."

c) The Greek word for "business" in Luke 2:49 was added by the translators for better readability in the English language. There is no actual word in the original Greek text.

d) Jesus told His disciples this precious truth of how He dwells in the Father, and how the Father dwells in Him.

John 14:10
10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

e) His Father's business is His Father's house. From the beginning of Genesis to the end of Revelation, the business of God remains the same - to have a household of people dwelling together with Him. We will be His people, and He will be our God. God created Adam and Eve so that they could live with Him in the Garden, dwelling in His presence and enjoying sweet communion with Him.

f) But man sinned. God still loved man. He therefore sent His Son to earth to die for man so that man may dwell together with God again. In the last chapter of Revelation, we see that man is able to enjoy dwelling in His presence forever after sin and death are removed.

g) This is what the New Covenant is all about.

Jeremiah 31:31-33
31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah — 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." 

Comments