ABOUT MY FATHER'S BUSINESS (3)

1. About My Father's Business

a) What was Jesus referring to when He said, "I must be about My Father's business?" This phrase "My Father's business" was only mentioned once in the Bible in Luke 2:49. 

b) Various Bible translations (ASV, NIV, CEV, TLB, RSV, NAS) use the phrase "My Father's house." Only  KJV and NKJV use the phrase "My Father's business."

c) The Greek word for "business" in Luke 2:49 was added by the translators for better readability in the English language. There is no actual word in the original Greek text.

d) My Father's business is found in...

i) The name of Jesus.

Matthew 1:21-23
21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” 22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

ii) The mission of Jesus.

Matthew 15:24 
24 But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

iii) The final prayers of Jesus on earth.

John 17:11-12 
11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

iv) The Great Commission that Jesus had given us.

Matthew 28:18-20  
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

v) What Jesus is doing currently.

John 14:2-3  
2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

e) God's business is forevermore the same. God does not change. And His business remains consistently, continually, continuously and constantly the same. He is the Father of lights, with Whom there is no variation or shadow of turning (James 1:17). God does not change like shifting shadows. God does not change His business.

f) Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Praise the LORD that He does not change. If God changes His business, we will be in deep trouble. God's business is not just for the poor. God is interested in everyone - the poor, the rich and all in-between. In fact, in the beginning of Genesis, there was no poor. And at the end of Revelation, there will not be any poor in the new heaven and the new earth. All the poor have become rich by then. He is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). God's business is still the same gospel message written in John 3:16.

g) His Father's business is not about building big churches, and it is not about making big money. It is God dwelling in man, and man dwelling in God. Of course, we can build big churches as the Spirit leads. But that's the business of the church, or simply the Church's business. And of course, we can do business according to God's ways and principles. But that's kingdom business. Kingdom business is serving the King in His kingdom, creating wealth for the welfare and well-being of the kingdom community and its neighbours. But His Father's business is His Father's house!

Comments