COMMUNION: ONE BODY

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. Communion: One Body

a) “The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread” (1 Corinthians 10:16-17). All those who break the bread testify that they do not serve themselves, but each other. By breaking the bread, I testify that I do not live for myself, but for the others, and that I am willing to accept all the help for salvation they can give me because we all eat of the same bread. Let each one examine himself, and then break the bread.

b) Because Jesus laid down His life for us, we also ought to lay down our lives for each other. (1 John 3:16) When I eat and drink, I too proclaim that I ought to lay down my life for those who truly eat of the same bread, because we proclaim the death of the Lord. When I proclaim His death, I also proclaim that I died with Him that I might no longer live for myself, but for Him who died for me and rose again. (2 Corinthians 5:15)

c) Just as a member supplies the other members with all the strength and nourishment he draws from the body, so we too are to supply the other members with all the love, wisdom, strength, grace, mercy, patience, and faithfulness that we receive from Christ. If we are not willing to love, neither are we worthy to receive love. (1 John 4:11) If we are unwilling to be merciful, forgiving, easy to get along with, helpful, or forbearing, then we are also unworthy to receive these blessings.

d) Let each one examine himself when he comes to the Lord’s Supper, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

Comments