WE SHOULD BREAK UP


a) Being an artist, there's a look that everyone expects you to have. Everything from the clothes you wear, the shoes you have or the bag you carry should and needs to "fit". That is why I start smoking cigarettes; to "fit in". What was a small puff turned into a full habit and eventually, addiction. I never thought of quitting until my girlfriend pulled an ultimatum and made me choose her or my addiction for cigarettes.  

b) Smokers, like myself, know it's bad. But after holding a cigarette in our hands for so long at social events or when we have free-time, it's difficult to put it down. "Social smokers" have this problem as well, because when are we not socializing? As time goes on, we become more tolerant of some of the side-effects like the smell, the increased snoring, waking-up late, or the loss of appetite. But those close to us become less tolerant; like my girlfriend.  

c) It may seem like someone is trying to change who you are, but if it's for the better, you should change. I was lucky to have my girlfriend show me the importance of quitting smoking. After all, she was the one who'd have to deal with it. It wasn't easy, but I found ways to replace putting a cigarette between my fingers and after 6 months, I'm happy to say, I am smoke free and still in my relationship. I gained everything that I lost before smoking like: my appetite, sleeping hours, loss of frequent headaches, loss of snoring/ our of breath, and most of all, my overall health.  

d) I hope this story will help encourage you or others to quit a habit that almost cost me my relationship. Through the years I've learned that the only image I should care about is one that would reflect on who I am and those that are closest to me.  

Comments