SEEKING FOR A PROPHET RELEVANT?
1. Seeking for a prophet relevant?2 Kings 3:4-11
When King Media of Moab rebelled against Israel, King Jehoram mustered the army of Israel and invited King Jehoshaphat of Judah to help him fight against Moab. These two armies were later joined by troops from Edom.
They moved along a round about route through the wilderness for 7 days; but there was no water for the men or their pack animals.
Then the king of Israel cried out, "The Lord has brought us here to let the king of Moab defeat us."
But King Jehoshaphat asked, "Isn't there a prophet of the Lord with us? Is so, we can find out what to do!"
2. Why did King Jehoshaphat specifically asked for a prophet of the Lord? Why not any other prophets?
a) In the days of old, the king always sought a prophet of the Lord before going to war. The king knew that whatever the prophet said would hold water and eventually come to pass. The king wanted to know whether he would win the battle or not. If not, he would surrender to serve the new king.
3. Nowadays, is seeking for a prophet of the Lord still relevant and appropriate?
a) Here are some scripture verses that may shed some light:
Amos 3:7-8
“For the Lord GOD does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.
Numbers 12:6
And he said, "Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the LORD make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream.
Hosea 12:10
I spoke to the prophets; it was I who multiplied visions, and through the prophets gave parables.
2 Chronicles 20:20
And they rose early in the morning and went out into the wilderness of Tekoa. And when they went out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, “Hear me, Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem! Believe in the LORD your God, and you will be established; believe his prophets, and you will succeed,"
Deuteronomy 18:18-19
I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him.
Ephesians 4:11
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,
2 Peter 1:21
For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
1 Thessalonians 5:20-21
Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.
1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Matthew 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
Comments
Post a Comment