PRAYING LIKE JABEZ (5)

1. Praying Like Jabez 

a) Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.

b) Jabez did not set out to pray a prayer that God would record in Scripture. His prayer reveals the heart of a man who sought God for his daily needs whether they were emotional, physical, or spiritual. He knew God was more than enough for what he needed, so he called out to God for more of Him. You can take this prayer and make it your own. 

c) Prayer

i) Bless me indeed. You are pleased with me as I seek more of You and from You.  You will accomplish and perfect what concerns me; Your lovingkindness endures all my days. You do not forsake the works of Your hands (Psalm 138:8).

ii) Determine my righteous borders. As I am challenged in new areas and new obedience in old areas, let me dwell in Your presence, not settling where You tell me to pioneer, not striking out on my own when You tell me to settle. If You’re not going, I don’t want to go. I want Your direction and Your kairos timing and opportunity, Lord (Isaiah 30:21).

iii) Be with me. “If one loves God truly, with affectionate reverence, prompt obedience and grateful recognition of His blessing, he is known by God [that is, recognized as worthy of His intimacy and love, and he is owned by Him]” (1 Corinthians 8:3 Amplified). Give me grace to love You like this.

iv) Keep me in testing. When Satan seeks permission from You to sift me like wheat, let me know beyond doubt that Your grace is sufficient and Your intercession is more than enough. Help me, Jesus. My spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak (Luke 22:46).

v) Be honored in my requests, and show me Your unmistakable answers. Don’t let me dishonor You by misinterpreting You (Psalm 73:16-17).

d) Be blessed as you cry out to your Abba, Savior, Redeemer and Friend who is more than enough to supply all your needs.

Comments