One Word. Five Minutes

One Word. Five Minutes

A Devotional for the Overwhelmed and Overbooked

The Word: ABIDE

Bible Reference: John 15:5 (ESV)

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

Minute 1: The Hook

You have a thousand things to do today. Emails to send. Meetings to endure. Deadlines breathing down your neck. Kids to feed. A house to manage. A life to hold together.

And somewhere in the chaos, there's a quiet whisper that says: "You're not doing enough."

Here's the truth: Jesus never asked you to do more. He asked you to abide.

Not hustle harder. Not grind longer. Not add another devotional to your checklist. Just abide.

Minute 2: The Scripture

Read John 15:5 slowly. Out loud if you can.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

Notice what Jesus doesn't say. He doesn't say, "Whoever works the hardest bears much fruit." He doesn't say, "Whoever has the cleanest house, the most organized calendar, or the perfect morning routine bears much fruit."

He says: "Whoever abides."

The Greek word for abide is menō — it means to remain, to stay, to dwell, to make your home in. It's not a sprint. It's a staying. It's not about doing; it's about being.

Minute 3: The Reality Check

We live in a world that worships productivity. Your value is measured by your output. Your worth is tied to your to-do list. And if you're honest, you've probably tried to bring that same frantic energy into your faith — as if Jesus is another project to manage, another goal to achieve, another box to check.

But a branch doesn't try to produce fruit. It doesn't wake up stressed about its grape quota. It doesn't compare its fruit to the branch next door. It simply stays connected to the vine. And because it stays connected, fruit happens.

Your job today is not to produce fruit. Your job is to stay connected to the Vine.

Minute 4: The Practice

So how do you abide when you only have five minutes?

You don't need a monastery. You need a moment.

Breathe His name. Inhale: "Jesus." Exhale: "I belong to You." Do it three times. That's abiding.

Whisper one truth. "You are with me." Say it until your shoulders drop.

Receive before you produce. Before you open your laptop or your planner, open your heart. Even for sixty seconds. Even for thirty.

Abiding isn't about the length of time. It's about the direction of your heart.

Minute 5: The Prayer

Lord, I confess that I've been running on empty, trying to do everything in my own strength. Today, I choose to stop striving and start abiding. I am the branch; You are the Vine. I don't have to produce — I just have to remain. Fill me with Your peace, Your presence, and Your power. Let my life bear fruit not because I'm working harder, but because I'm staying closer. In Jesus' name, Amen.

One Sentence to Carry With You Today:

You don't have to do more. You just have to stay close.

Now go. Abide. And watch what grows.

Comments