THE BURNING BUSH (3)

(Message by Tanny Keng)

0. Introduction

a) The burning bush
(Text: Exodus 3:1-22)

1. What is the text all about?

a) The Egyptians had many gods by many different names. Moses wanted to know God's name so the Hebrew people would know exactly who had sent him to them. God called himself, "I AM," a name describing his eternal power and unchangeable character. In a world where values, morals, and laws change constantly, we can find stability and security in our unchanging God. The God who appeared to Moses is the same God who can live in us today. Hebrews 13:8 says God is the same "yesterday, today and forever." Because God's nature is stable and trustworthy, we are free to follow and enjoy him rather than spend our time trying to figure him out.

b) Yahweh (Jehovah) is here translated "I AM." God reminded Moses of his covenant promises to:

@1. Abraham

#1) The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. 2 “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.." (Genesis 12:1-3 NIV)

#2) 17 When the sun had set and darkness had fallen, a smoking firepot with a blazing torch appeared and passed between the pieces. (Genesis 15:17 NIV)

@2. Isaac

#1) 2 The Lord appeared to Isaac and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land where I tell you to live. 3 Stay in this land for a while, and I will be with you and will bless you. For to you and your descendants I will give all these lands and will confirm the oath I swore to your father Abraham. 4 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, 5 because Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions.” (Genesis 26:2-6 NIV)

@3. Jacob

#1) 13 There above it stood the Lord, and he said: “I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. 14 Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. 15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” (Genesis 28:13-15 NIV)

and used the name I AM to show his unchanging nature. What God promised to the great patriarchs hundreds of years earlier he would fulfill through Moses.

c) God told Moses to tell the people what he saw and heard at the burning bush. Our God is a God who acts and speaks. One of the most convincing ways to tell others about him is to describe what he has done and how he has spoken to his people. If you are trying to explain God to others, talk about what he has done for you, or for people whose stories are told in the Bible.

d) "A land flowing with milk and honey" is a poetic word picture expressing the beauty and productivity of the Promised Land.

e) The leaders of Israel would accept God's message, and the leaders of Egypt would respect it. God knew what both reactions would be before they happened. This is more than good psychology - God knows the future. Any believer can trust his or her future to God because God already knows what is going to happen.

f) The articles of gold (jewelry) and clothing were not merely borrowed - they were asked for and easily received. The Egyptians were so glad to see the Israelites go that they sent them out with gifts. These items were used later in building the tabernacle.

@1. 5 From what you have, take an offering for the Lord. Everyone who is willing is to bring to the Lord an offering of gold, silver and bronze. (Exodus 35:5 NIV)

@2. 22 All who were willing, men and women alike, came and brought gold jewelry of all kinds: brooches, earrings, rings and ornaments. They all presented their gold as a wave offering to the Lord. (Genesis 35:22 NIV)

g) The promise of being able to plunder the Egyptians seemed impossible to Moses at this time.

2. Prayer focus

a) Pray that we trust our future to God because God already knows what is going to happen to us.


The End ...

Comments