The Flawed Evaluation

The Flawed Evaluation

What Does It Mean?

This teaching examines Eve's thought process and the alarming reality that believers today face the same deception she encountered. The instruction begins by acknowledging that deception is not something any of us set out to be a victim of, yet our natural instincts and built-in flaws often override our desire to follow God.

The teaching then presents a startling statement from 2 Corinthians 11:3, where Paul expresses fear that believers' pure and undivided devotion to Christ will be corrupted, just as Eve was deceived by the cunning ways of the serpent. This is a shocking revelation—Paul is speaking about solid believers. Many reject this concept because they do not want to deal with the possibility that they are messed up, so millions bury their heads in the spiritual sands of deception.

The instruction turns to Genesis 3:6, examining Eve's thought process. Eve's evaluation of the fruit was flawed. She incorrectly saw that it was good for food. This was a wrong assumption—the fruit was forbidden and was poison to them. God had said, "Don't touch it!" The teaching asks, "What part of 'Don't touch it!' do we not understand?" We deceive ourselves when we think we know better than God or that we are smarter than the Almighty.

Eve saw that it was pleasing to her eye, not God's. Just because something looks good does not mean we can grab after it. Eve did not go to the wisdom of God for the answer to this dilemma. God's wisdom was readily available at the tree of life. If ever there was a moment for a second opinion, this was it. Eve had the freedom to ask God for advice, but she decided to make the decision on her own.

The teaching then raises a series of questions about Adam. Why didn't Adam stop Eve? Why didn't he rebuke her or teach her? Why didn't he walk away? Why did Eve make an independent decision? Why didn't Eve refer the serpent to her husband? Wasn't Adam to be her protector? These questions highlight the breakdown of God's design for protection and leadership.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the focus on Adam's failure. We often focus on Eve's deception, but the teaching asks why Adam—who was with her—did not intervene. He was the provider and protector. He knew what God had said. Yet he did not rebuke Eve, teach her, or walk away. His silence and inaction were as much a failure as Eve's disobedience.

Another surprising insight is that Eve made an independent decision. She did not consult Adam or God. She trusted her own evaluation of the situation. This is a warning against making decisions in isolation without seeking God's wisdom and counsel.

The teaching also reveals that Eve's evaluation was flawed at every point. The fruit was not good for food—it was poison. It was not pleasing to God's eyes—only to her own. And the wisdom it offered was not wisdom but deception. This is how sin works—it distorts our perception and makes us think we are making a wise decision when we are actually walking into destruction.

Perhaps most challenging is the question: "What part of 'Don't touch it!' do we not understand?" This reveals the simplicity of obedience and the complexity of our rationalizations. We often overcomplicate what God has made clear.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Recognize That Believers Are Under Attack

Paul's warning was directed at believers. I need to recognize that my pure and undivided devotion to Christ is under attack and not be naive about this reality.

I can apply this by:

Not thinking I am immune to deception

Being vigilant about my spiritual life

Guarding my devotion to Christ

Taking Paul's warning seriously

Evaluate My Evaluations

Eve's evaluation was flawed. I need to evaluate my own evaluations and ask whether I am seeing things from God's perspective or my own.

I can do this by:

Testing my assumptions against Scripture

Seeking God's wisdom before making decisions

Not trusting my own perception alone

Asking whether my evaluation aligns with God's truth

Seek a Second Opinion

Eve did not seek a second opinion when she should have. I need to seek counsel from God's Word and from wise believers.

I can apply this by:

Asking for advice from mature Christians

Consulting Scripture before making decisions

Not trusting my own judgment alone

Being willing to be corrected

Submit to God's Clear Commands

God said, "Don't touch it!" I need to obey God's clear commands without rationalizing or overcomplicating them.

I can do this by:

Taking God's Word at face value

Not looking for loopholes

Obeying even when I don't understand

Trusting that God's commands are for my good

Take Responsibility for Leadership

Adam failed to lead and protect Eve. If I am in a position of leadership, I need to take responsibility and not remain silent.

I can apply this by:

Speaking up when I see sin

Protecting those under my care

Teaching and guiding others

Not being passive in the face of danger

Avoid Independent Decision-Making

Eve made an independent decision without consulting God or Adam. I need to avoid making decisions in isolation and seek God's guidance.

I can do this by:

Praying about my decisions

Seeking counsel from others

Not trusting my own judgment alone

Bringing my choices before God

Learn from the Questions About Adam

The questions about Adam's failure are a warning. I need to ask whether I am being passive when I should be active and whether I am silent when I should speak.

I can do this by:

Not being passive in my spiritual life

Speaking up when I see wrong

Teaching and guiding others

Taking responsibility for my role

Final Reflections

This teaching on Eve's flawed evaluation and Adam's failure presents a sobering picture of how deception operates. Eve's thought process was flawed at every point—she saw the fruit as good for food, pleasing to the eye, and desirable for wisdom, but it was poison. Her evaluation was based on her own perception, not on God's truth.

The questions about Adam are a powerful challenge. He was with Eve, he knew what God had said, and he was supposed to be her protector. Yet he did not intervene. His silence and inaction were as much a failure as Eve's disobedience. This is a warning to all who are in positions of leadership and protection.

The call to seek a second opinion is crucial. Eve had access to God's wisdom, but she did not use it. She made an independent decision and suffered the consequences. I must learn from her mistake and seek God's guidance in every decision.

Ultimately, this teaching calls me to recognize that believers are under attack, to evaluate my evaluations, to seek a second opinion, and to take responsibility for leadership. It challenges me to obey God's clear commands and to avoid independent decision-making. In doing so, I protect myself from deception and walk in the truth.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that desires to evaluate things from Your perspective. I confess that I have sometimes trusted my own perception over Your truth, making decisions without seeking Your guidance. Forgive me for my independent spirit and for the times I have rationalized disobedience.

Lord, I thank You for the warnings of this teaching. Help me to recognize that my devotion to Christ is under attack and to be vigilant. Teach me to seek a second opinion from Your Word and from wise counsel before making decisions.

I pray for those in positions of leadership. Give them the courage to speak up, to protect, and to teach. Help them not to be passive in the face of danger. And help me to take responsibility for my role.

Help me to obey Your clear commands without rationalizing or overcomplicating them. Remind me that Your ways are higher than my ways and that Your commands are for my good.

Lord, I choose this day to seek Your wisdom and to trust Your truth. Help me to walk in obedience and to avoid the deception that comes from trusting my own evaluation.

In Jesus' name, who is the wisdom of God,

Amen.

Comments