CHOOSING BETWEEN LIFE & DEATH
CHOOSING BETWEEN LIFE & DEATH
What does it mean?
This title captures the most serious decision every human being faces. It is not merely about physical survival—it is about eternal orientation. The text presents two stark realities: Life means walking in God's purpose, building a friendship with Him, and using our time on earth for His glory. Death means either the gain of going home to Christ (for the believer) or eternal separation from Him (for the rejecter).
The title forces us to confront the fact that neutrality is not an option. Every day, through our choices, attitudes, and priorities, we are either leaning toward life or toward death. God has set before us blessing and curse, and He urgently pleads with us: "Oh, that you would choose life!" (Deuteronomy 30:19). Choosing life means choosing God's will over our own, eternal values over temporary pleasures, and service to others over selfish comfort.
Reflections (The Twist)
We often think "choosing life" means choosing more years on earth—longevity, health, and avoiding danger. But the twist in this text is that choosing life has nothing to do with how long you live, and everything to do with how you live.
Paul openly admits that dying is "better by far" and that he personally longs to go and be with Christ (Philippians 1:23). By human logic, if death is better, then choosing death seems like the wiser option! But Paul chooses life anyway—not because it is easier, but because others still need him.
The twist is this: Choosing life means choosing responsibility over relief. It means staying in the pain, the struggle, and the daily grind because God has placed people around you who need your love, your service, and your testimony. You choose life not for your own sake, but for the sake of those God has called you to serve. The ultimate act of choosing life is laying down your own preferences for the good of others—just as Christ laid down His life for us.
How does it apply to me?
In my daily routine, I will stop viewing my mundane tasks as meaningless. Whether I am working, parenting, studying, or serving in my community, I am choosing life every time I do these things with excellence and love for God's glory. I will ask myself: "Am I using this moment to build something eternal, or am I just killing time?"
When I face hardship, discouragement, or weariness, I will remember that my suffering is not a sign that God has forgotten me. It is actually proof that He still has work for me to do. I will choose to persevere, knowing that my present struggles are producing eternal fruit that I cannot yet see.
I will internalize the truth that my time on earth is measured by God. No situation—no sickness, no accident, no enemy—can cut my life short before God's purpose for me is fulfilled. This frees me from paralyzing fear and empowers me to take bold steps of faith. I will live with holy daring, knowing that my eternal destiny is secure.
In my relationships, I will intentionally invest in the people around me. I will not isolate myself in my pain or become self-absorbed. If Paul stayed on earth for the sake of others, then I too must see my relationships as divine assignments. I will choose to be present, patient, and generous with my time.
One truth to carry
"I am here on assignment, and my assignment is not complete until God says it is."
My life is not random. My breath is not accidental. Every day I wake up is evidence that God still has a purpose for me on this earth. Until He calls me home, I have work to do—work that matters for eternity. I will not waste my days wishing for heaven; I will use my days building heaven's reality here on earth.
Prayer
Father,
Today I stand before You and consciously choose life. I choose to see my existence not as a burden, but as a sacred gift and a holy responsibility.
Forgive me for the times I have lived selfishly, wishing away my days or escaping into distractions. Forgive me for fearing death more than I fear wasting my life. Forgive me for forgetting that I am still here because You have people who need me.
Lord, give me Paul's mindset. Help me to count it a privilege to stay on earth, even when heaven seems sweeter. Help me to serve others with joy, even when I am tired. Help me to give my best shots today—not out of guilt, but out of gratitude for the life You have given me.
Remove the fear of dying before my time. I trust that You have numbered my days and that nothing can touch me outside of Your will. Because I am secure in You, I will live boldly. I will take risks for Your Kingdom. I will love recklessly. I will speak truth courageously.
I choose life today, Lord. Not just survival—but abundant, purposeful, eternal life, lived fully for You.
In Jesus' mighty name,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment