SELF

1. Self

a) One of the greatest challenges a Christian faces is SELF. Paul faced this particular issue in life.

@1. Romans 7:15-16,19 TLB
"[15] I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I can't. I do what I don't want to-what I hate. 

[16] I know perfectly well that what I am doing is wrong, and my bad conscience proves that I agree with these laws I am breaking."

"[19] When I want to do good, I don't; and when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway."

b) Why? 

@1. Romans 7:23-24 TLB
"[23] but there is something else deep within me, in my lower nature, that is at war with my mind and wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. In my mind I want to be God's willing servant, but instead I find myself still enslaved to sin. So you see how it is: my new life tells me to do right, but the old nature that is still inside me loves to sin.

[24] Oh, what a terrible predicament I'm in! Who will free me from my slavery to this deadly lower nature?" 

c) This is really a daily challenging struggle for every Christian believer.

d) Do we have a solution? Yes!

@1. Romans 7:25 TLB
"[25] Thank God! It has been done by Jesus Christ our Lord. He has set me free."

e) Jesus Christ did it on the cross. Sin has no hold on you when you accepted him as your personal Saviour. However, your old nature is still there and you may sin.

f) That's why God made provision for your sins even after your salvation.

@1. 1 John 1:8-10 TLB
"[8] If we say that we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and refusing to accept the truth. 

[9] But if we confess our sins to him, he can be depended on to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong. And it is perfectly proper for God to do this for us because Christ died to wash away our sins.

[10] If we claim we have not sinned, we are lying and calling God a liar, for he says we have sinned."

Comments