The Integrity of Scripture, The Humility of Request

The Integrity of Scripture, The Humility of Request

Key Bible Texts

Proverbs 30:6 (KJV): "Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."

Proverbs 30:7 (KJV): "Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die."

What does it mean?

The first verse is a solemn warning against tampering with the words of God. To "add" to His words is to insert our own ideas, interpretations, or traditions as though they carried the same divine authority. It is to twist Scripture, to embellish it, or to claim that God has said something He has not said. The consequence is severe: God Himself will reprove the offender, and they will be found to be a liar. This echoes the broader biblical warning found in Deuteronomy and Revelation, where adding to or subtracting from God's Word invites judgment. The integrity of Scripture is not to be compromised, for God's words are pure and complete.

The second verse introduces a humble prayer from Agur, who asks for two specific requests before he dies. He does not command or demand but pleads, "Deny me them not." This is the posture of a man who knows his own weakness and his utter dependence on God. He is not asking for fame, power, or luxury; he is asking for what will keep him faithful to the end of his days. The two requests that follow in the next verses—remove vanity and lies, and give neither poverty nor riches—reveal a heart that longs for nothing more than to walk closely with God.

The Twist

The surprising connection between these two verses is that they both deal with the purity of truth—first in God's Word, and then in Agur's own heart. The one who adds to God's words is guilty of falsehood; the one who prays for the removal of vanity and lies is asking to be delivered from the same spirit of deception. The twist is that Agur's request for humility and honesty is the very protection against adding to God's words. A proud heart adds to Scripture; a humble heart trembles at it. Another profound turn is that Agur makes his request "before I die"—he is not assuming a long life, and he is not postponing his spiritual growth. He knows that his time is short, and he wants to settle these matters while he still has breath. And perhaps the most unexpected element is that Agur, who calls himself "more brutish than any man" and says he has "not the understanding of a man," nonetheless offers a prayer that has become a model of wisdom for all generations. His humility opens the door for his words to be preserved in Scripture.

What can I learn?

I learn that I must handle the Word of God with the utmost reverence and care. I am not to twist it, add to it, or use it to support my own agendas. When I teach or share Scripture, I must do so with accuracy and humility, always checking my understanding against the whole counsel of God. I also learn that prayer is the posture of the wise. Agur did not rely on his own strength; he asked God for what he needed. Furthermore, I discover that the most important requests I can make are not for comfort or success but for spiritual protection—for truth, for contentment, and for faithfulness to the end. Finally, I am reminded that I am not promised tomorrow. The urgency of "before I die" should shape my prayers today.

How does it apply to me?

Examine your handling of Scripture. Do you ever twist verses to fit your own preferences or to justify your actions? Commit today to studying God's Word faithfully, with a willingness to be corrected by it. When you share Scripture, be careful to present it accurately and in its proper context. Then, follow Agur's example by making your own requests to God. Ask Him to remove vanity and lies from your heart, and to give you neither poverty nor riches but what is fitting for your walk with Him. Do not delay—pray these things today, as if you had no tomorrow. And ask yourself: what are the two or three things I most need from God before my life ends? Let those requests shape your prayers and your priorities.

Final Reflections

Agur's words are a gift to every generation. He shows us that wisdom begins not with knowing much but with knowing our own lack. He warns us against the pride that adds to God's Word and the deceit that corrupts the heart. And he models for us the humble prayer that seeks nothing more than to walk faithfully with God until the end. The integrity of Scripture and the integrity of the soul are bound together. When we keep God's words pure, we are kept by them; and when we pray with Agur's humility, we are given the grace to finish well. May we treasure God's Word as it is, and may our requests to Him be shaped by the same holy longing for truth and contentment.

Prayer

Lord God, I thank You for Your truth, that he who adds to Your words may receive Your reproof and will be found to be lying. Give me understanding of Your Word, and keep me from adding to it. I thank You for these model requests to You from Agur. Cause me to have similar requests, and to seek to have them fulfilled. Father, I confess that I am prone to twist Your words to suit my own desires. Forgive me, and grant me the humility to receive Your truth as it is, without addition or subtraction. I make my requests before You today, knowing that my time is short: remove far from me vanity and lies; give me neither poverty nor riches, but feed me with the food that is fitting for me. Keep me faithful until the end of my days, and let me never be found a liar in Your presence. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments