SABBATH OBSERVANCE (2)

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. Bible Topic

a) To learn what the Bible has to say on a variety of topics affecting our everyday lives, we may find what we are looking for here.

2. Sabbath Observance

a) What Sabbath keeping counsel does Nehemiah give? It's in the Bible, Nehemiah 13:15,19,22, NIV. "In those days I saw men in Judah treading winepresses on the Sabbath and bringing in grain and loading it on donkeys, together with wine, grapes, figs and all other kinds of loads. And they were bringing all this into Jerusalem on the Sabbath. Therefore I warned them against selling food on that day.

b) When evening shadows fell on the gates of Jerusalem before the Sabbath, I ordered the doors to be shut and not opened until the Sabbath was over. I stationed some of my own men at the gates so that no load could be brought in on the Sabbath day. Then I commanded the Levites to purify themselves and go and guard the gates in order to keep the Sabbath day holy. Remember me for this also, O my God, and show mercy to me according to your great love.

c) What evidence is there that the Sabbath was designed to be a day for public worship? It's in the Bible, Leviticus 23:3, NIV. "There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly."

d) Jesus suggested that the Sabbath hours be used for doing good deeds. It's in the Bible, Matthew 12:11-12, NIV. "He said to them, 'If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath." 

Comments