WHAT TRULY DEFINES YOU

1. What Truly Defines You

a) Featured Scripture Text

Isaiah 61:10
I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

b) If someone were asked to describe you, what words would they use?  What words do you hope they would use?

c) We are constantly looking to our surroundings to define us. Most of us go to great lengths on a daily basis to “look” at a certain way.  Somehow we feel that we can be defined by what we have while others don't have. At times, we define ourselves negatively because of the adverse circumstances we are in. We think people will look at us differently. 

d) Sometimes we pursue titles or identities that are even good ones.  We want to be known as great worship leaders or great pastors.  Maybe we wish to be known as a great musician or a renowned thinker. All of these can be good and noble; however, it is important to remember that first and foremost our identity is in Christ.

e) Always resist the temptation to allow your interests and talents define you. Instead, allow God's Word to define you in the following ways:

Matthew 5:14 
You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.

1 Corinthians 12:27 
Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.

Romans 8:37 
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

1 Thessalonians 5:5 
For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness.

1 Peter 2:9 
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

John 15:15 
No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

Romans 8:28 
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Galatians 2:20 
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Ephesians 2:19 
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God.”

Matthew 5:13 
You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

1 John 5:4 
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith.

Comments