FULFILLED PROPHECIES 4 | JESUS' CRUCIFIXION

1. Fulfilled Prophecies of Jesus Christ

a) It is amazing to me that none of the religious leaders in Jesus Christ’s earthly ministry recognized Him as the Messiah. This is especially surprising since there were dozens and dozens of prophecies regarding His coming.  

b) In John 8:58 Jesus tells them of His ancient origins and they wanted to stone Him for it, “Most assuredly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am.“  He also tells the religious leaders that He was the manna that came down from heaven in the wilderness in John 6:41, “At this the Jews there began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.”  They wanted to kill Him for this too because He was associating Himself with the God that led them out of Egypt – and as the manna (meaning “what is it!”) that came down from heaven.

c) In the gospel of John (1:1-2) He is indicated as having self-existence or the “I AM” of the Old Testament, which was the Old Covenant name of God,  and as such He was also the Creator, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.”   

2. Jesus’ Crucifixion

Isaiah 53:10-11  
“Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life an offering for sin, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand. After he has suffered, he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities.” 

a) In fact the last part of Isaiah chapter 52 and all of chapter 53 is about Jesus Christ at the cross of Calvary, as is Psalm chapter 22.  In Psalm 22:1,16 it clearly reveals what took place at Calvary, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet.”  This was written almost 700 years before the first crucifixion had ever taken place!

Zechariah 12:10 
“And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.”

Isaiah 50:6 
“I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.”

b) Some say that there are from 700 to over 1,000 prophecies about Jesus Christ in the Old Testament.  The odds on Jesus fulfilling even 48 of them is 10 to the 157th power. That’s 1 in 100, 000, 000, 000, 000, and 000.  The fact is that it is impossible for Jesus’ fulfillment of the nearly 1,000 prophecies to be due to blind chance or mere coincidence.  Make no mistake about it – Jesus fulfilled prophecy as a way of confirming the sovereignty of God and the sovereignty of a Savior for you and for me.  Believe it.  It was no accident. 

Comments