SONG OF SOLOMON (1)

0. Introduction

a) Song of Solomon is a wedding song honoring marriage. The most explicit statements on sex in the Bible can be found in this book. It has often been criticized through the centuries because of its sensuous language. The purity and sacredness of love represented here, however, are greatly needed in our day where distorted attitudes about love and marriage are commonplace. God created sex and intimacy, and they are holy and good when enjoyed within the bounds of marriage. A husband and wife honor God when they love and enjoy each other.

b) A moving story, drama, and poem, Song of Solomon features the love dialogue between a simple Jewish maiden (the Shulamite woman) and her lover (Solomon, the king). They describe in intimate detail their feelings for each other and their longings to be together. Throughout the dialogue, sex and marriage are put in their proper, God-given perspective.

c) Song of Solomon is a historical story with two layers of meaning. On one level we learn about love, marriage, and sex; and on the other level we see God's overwhelming love for his people.

d) As your read Song of Solomon, remember that your are loved by God, and commit yourself to seeing life, sex, and marriage from his point of view.

1. Song of Solomon 1

a) The Wedding Day (1:1-2:7)

i) The song of songs, which is Solomon’s.

The Banquet

The Shulamite

Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth—
For your love is better than wine.
Because of the fragrance of your good ointments,
Your name is ointment poured forth;
Therefore the virgins love you.
Draw me away! 

The Daughters of Jerusalem   

We will run after you.

The Shulamite 

The king has brought me into his chambers.

The Daughters of Jerusalem    

We will be glad and rejoice in you.
We will remember your love more than wine.

The Shulamite    

Rightly do they love you.
I am dark, but lovely,
O daughters of Jerusalem,
Like the tents of Kedar,
Like the curtains of Solomon.
Do not look upon me, because I am dark,
Because the sun has tanned me.
My mother’s sons were angry with me;
They made me the keeper of the vineyards,
But my own vineyard I have not kept.

(To Her Beloved)    

Tell me, O you whom I love,
Where you feed your flock,
Where you make it rest at noon.
For why should I be as one who veils herself
By the flocks of your companions?

The Beloved    

If you do not know, O fairest among women,
Follow in the footsteps of the flock,
And feed your little goats
Beside the shepherds’ tents.
I have compared you, my love,
To my filly among Pharaoh’s chariots.
10 Your cheeks are lovely with ornaments,
Your neck with chains of gold.  

The Daughters of Jerusalem    

11 We will make you ornaments of gold
With studs of silver.

The Shulamite     

12 While the king is at his table,
My spikenard sends forth its fragrance.
13 A bundle of myrrh is my beloved to me,
That lies all night between my breasts.
14 My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blooms
In the vineyards of En Gedi.

The Beloved   

15 Behold, you are fair, my love!
Behold, you are fair!
You have dove’s eyes. 

The Shulamite   

16 Behold, you are handsome, my beloved!
Yes, pleasant!
Also our bed is green.
17 The beams of our houses are cedar,
And our rafters of fir. (Song of Solomon 1:1-17 NKJV)
1I am the rose of Sharon,
And the lily of the valleys.    

The Beloved   

Like a lily among thorns,
So is my love among the daughters.

The Shulamite  

Like an apple tree among the trees of the woods,
So is my beloved among the sons.
I sat down in his shade with great delight,
And his fruit was sweet to my taste.

The Shulamite to the Daughters of Jerusalem   

He brought me to the banqueting house,
And his banner over me was love.
Sustain me with cakes of raisins,
Refresh me with apples,
For I am lovesick.
His left hand is under my head,
And his right hand embraces me.
I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
By the gazelles or by the does of the field,
Do not stir up nor awaken love
Until it pleases. (Song of Solomon 2:1-7 NKJV) 

Comments