The Temptation to Help God

The Temptation to Help God
What Does It Mean?
This teaching addresses one of the most common and dangerous responses to problems: taking matters into our own hands rather than trusting God. The instruction begins by acknowledging the universal experience of being kept awake at night by problems, which are roadblocks that create emotional conflicts and force us to find resolution.
The teaching then presents the example of Sarah and Abram. When God promised that Abram would have a son, Sarah became impatient. Instead of waiting for God's timing, she gave her servant Hagar to Abram to solve the crisis. This is described as "classic"—we so often jump into a situation to "help God out" instead of patiently allowing Him to work out the situation His way.
The instruction reveals the consequences of this approach: we create and trigger bigger problems trying to solve the situation "our way." Sarah's plan led to conflict between Hagar and Sarah, strife in the household, and lasting consequences that continue to this day.
The teaching then presents a profound contrast: as we look at the situation, we see it as a "problem" needing our fix. But God sees it as an opportunity to display His amazing ability to do what we can't do. This is a fundamental shift in perspective.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the contrast between how we see problems and how God sees them. We see problems as emergencies requiring our immediate intervention. God sees them as opportunities to demonstrate His power and faithfulness. This reframes our understanding of difficulties—they are not just obstacles but platforms for God's glory.
Another surprising insight is that our attempts to "help God out" actually create bigger problems. Sarah thought she was solving the crisis, but her plan led to conflict, jealousy, and broken relationships. This is a powerful warning against taking matters into our own hands instead of trusting God.
The teaching also reveals that impatience is a root cause of many of our self-inflicted problems. Sarah could not wait for God's timing, so she forced her own solution. The result was not blessing but trouble. This challenges us to examine our own impatience.
Perhaps most challenging is the realization that what we see as a problem, God sees as an opportunity. Our perspective is limited and fearful; God's perspective is eternal and faith-filled. When we learn to see our problems the way God sees them, we can trust Him to work in ways we cannot imagine.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Resist the Temptation to "Help God Out"
The teaching reveals that jumping in to "help God out" often creates bigger problems. I need to resist this temptation and wait for God's timing.
I can apply this by:
Not forcing solutions when I am impatient
Trusting that God's timing is perfect
Resisting the urge to take matters into my own hands
Praying for patience and faith
See Problems as God's Opportunities
What I see as a problem, God sees as an opportunity to display His power. I need to shift my perspective and trust that God is working.
I can do this by:
Asking what God might be doing in my situation
Looking for opportunities to trust Him
Not being discouraged by difficulties
Believing that God can do what I cannot
Wait Patiently for God's Timing
Sarah could not wait for God's timing, and her impatience led to trouble. I need to learn to wait patiently for God to work.
I can apply this by:
Not rushing ahead of God
Being content to wait
Trusting that God's plan is better than mine
Using the waiting time to grow in faith
Trust God's Abilities, Not My Own
God sees problems as opportunities to do what we can't do. I need to trust in His abilities, not my own.
I can do this by:
Admitting my limitations
Relying on God's strength
Not depending on my own wisdom
Trusting that God is able to do more than I can imagine
Learn from the Consequences of Impatience
Sarah's impatience led to conflict and lasting consequences. I need to learn from her example and avoid the same mistakes.
I can apply this by:
Remembering the cost of impatience
Not repeating the same errors
Learning from biblical examples
Seeking to grow in patience and trust
Let Go of Control
The teaching challenges me to let go of control and trust God to work out the situation. I cannot fix everything; I must trust the One who can.
I can do this by:
Surrendering my plans to God
Not trying to control outcomes
Trusting that God is in control
Resting in His sovereignty
Final Reflections
This teaching on the temptation to help God presents a powerful contrast between human impatience and divine timing. Sarah's example is a warning against taking matters into our own hands. She thought she was solving a problem, but she was creating a much bigger one.
The key insight is the difference between how we see problems and how God sees them. We see problems as obstacles that need our intervention. God sees them as opportunities to display His power and faithfulness. This is a fundamental shift in perspective that can transform how we face difficulties.
The teaching reveals that impatience is often rooted in a lack of trust. We cannot wait for God because we do not fully trust that He will come through. We take matters into our own hands because we believe we can do a better job. This is pride, and it leads to trouble.
The call to let go of control and trust God's timing is both challenging and liberating. It challenges us to surrender our plans and wait patiently. It liberates us from the burden of trying to fix everything ourselves. When we trust God, we experience His power working in ways we could never accomplish on our own.
This teaching invites me to examine my own response to problems. Do I rush in to "help God out," or do I wait patiently for His timing? Do I see problems as obstacles or opportunities? The answers to these questions reveal whether I am walking in faith or in fear.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that acknowledges my tendency to take matters into my own hands. I confess that I have sometimes been impatient, rushing ahead of Your timing and trying to "help You out." Forgive me for my pride and for the times I have created bigger problems through my own efforts.
Lord, I thank You that You see problems as opportunities to display Your power. Help me to see my difficulties through Your eyes. Teach me to trust that You are working, even when I cannot see it.
Help me to wait patiently for Your timing. Give me the faith to believe that Your plan is better than mine. Help me to let go of control and to trust that You are able to do what I cannot.
I pray for those who are struggling with impatience. Help them to wait on You and to trust that You will act in the right time. Free them from the burden of trying to fix everything themselves.
Lord, I choose this day to trust in Your timing and to see my problems as opportunities for You to work. Help me to rest in Your sovereignty and to trust that You are faithful.
In Jesus' name, who is the author and finisher of our faith,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment