The Blame Game

The Blame Game

What Does It Mean?

This teaching addresses one of the most fundamental human responses to problems: blaming others. The instruction begins by acknowledging the universal experience of being kept awake at night by problems, which are roadblocks that create emotional conflicts and force us to find resolution. They can be simple or complicated, self-inflicted, or caused by others.

The teaching then presents the example of Adam. When God confronted him about eating the forbidden fruit, Adam replied, "It was the woman you gave me who gave me the fruit, and I ate it." He blamed Eve, and he even blamed God indirectly by saying "the woman you gave me." When God asked Eve, she replied, "The serpent deceived me. That's why I ate it." Both Adam and Eve shifted responsibility for their actions.

The teaching comments: "How classic! We blame our failures on others." It then reminds us that Satan has power only to tempt; he does not have the power to make us do anything. That decision is ours alone. We self-inflict most of our crisis situations by bad behavior or by listening to Satan-induced lies—information that, if acted on, brings us into conflict with God and His principles.

The instruction concludes with a crucial principle: when facing a situation that requires a solution, it is impossible to please God if His information—wisdom—has not been accessed and applied. The result is another failed solution ushering in deeper trouble.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is Adam's subtle blame of God. He said, "The woman you gave me" gave me the fruit. Adam was not just blaming Eve but also pointing a finger at God. This reveals that blame-shifting often goes deeper than we realize—we may even blame God for our choices.

Another surprising insight is the reminder that Satan has no power to force us to sin. He can only tempt. The choice to act on the temptation is ours alone. This strips away the excuse that "the devil made me do it." While Satan is a tempter, he is not a puppet master. We are responsible for our own decisions.

The teaching also reveals that most of our crisis situations are self-inflicted. We bring trouble on ourselves through bad behavior or by acting on lies. This is a sobering truth that challenges us to take responsibility for our choices rather than blaming others or circumstances.

Perhaps most challenging is the principle that without accessing and applying God's wisdom, any solution will lead to deeper trouble. This means that our attempts to fix problems on our own, without God's guidance, will only make things worse. God's wisdom is not optional but essential.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Stop Blaming Others

The teaching reveals that blame-shifting is a classic human response. I need to stop blaming others for my choices and take responsibility for my own actions.

I can apply this by:

Acknowledging my own role in my problems

Not pointing fingers at others

Taking ownership of my mistakes

Being honest with myself and with God

Remember That I Am Responsible for My Choices

Satan can tempt, but he cannot force me to sin. I need to remember that I am responsible for my own choices and cannot blame anyone else.

I can do this by:

Recognizing that I have free will

Not excusing my sin by blaming others

Taking responsibility for my decisions

Confessing my own failures honestly

Recognize Self-Inflicted Problems

Most of my crisis situations are self-inflicted through bad behavior or acting on lies. I need to recognize this and take steps to change.

I can apply this by:

Examining how my choices have contributed to my problems

Not playing the victim

Taking proactive steps to change my behavior

Seeking God's help to break destructive patterns

Reject Satan's Lies

Satan tempts through lies—information that, if acted on, brings us into conflict with God. I need to reject these lies and embrace the truth.

I can do this by:

Testing everything against Scripture

Not believing the enemy's deceptions

Staying grounded in God's truth

Resisting temptation with God's Word

Access and Apply God's Wisdom

When facing a problem, I cannot please God without accessing and applying His wisdom. I need to seek God's guidance in every situation.

I can do this by:

Praying for wisdom

Consulting Scripture

Seeking godly counsel

Applying what I learn

Avoid Temporary Fixes

Without God's wisdom, any solution will lead to deeper trouble. I need to avoid temporary fixes and seek lasting solutions grounded in God's truth.

I can apply this by:

Not taking shortcuts

Seeking God's guidance before acting

Being patient for God's timing

Trusting that God's way is best

Final Reflections

This teaching on the blame game confronts us with one of the most common and destructive human responses to problems: blaming others. Adam and Eve's example shows how this pattern began. When confronted with their sin, they shifted responsibility—Adam to Eve and ultimately to God, and Eve to the serpent.

The teaching reveals that blame-shifting is not just a human failing but a spiritual issue. It denies our responsibility and avoids the need for repentance. When we blame others, we avoid addressing our own sin and miss the opportunity to change.

The reminder that Satan can only tempt, not force, is crucial. We cannot blame the devil for our choices. The decision to sin is ours. We may be tempted, but we are not compelled. This means we are responsible for our actions and cannot shift the blame.

The principle that without God's wisdom, our solutions will lead to deeper trouble is a warning against self-reliance. We may think we can fix our problems on our own, but without God's guidance, we only make things worse. We need to seek His wisdom and apply it to our situations.

This teaching calls me to stop blaming others, to take responsibility for my choices, to reject Satan's lies, and to seek God's wisdom. It is a call to humility, honesty, and dependence on God. When I embrace this, I find the path to true resolution.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that acknowledges my tendency to blame others for my problems. I confess that I have sometimes shifted responsibility, pointing fingers at others rather than owning my own choices. Forgive me for my blame-shifting and for the times I have avoided taking responsibility.

Lord, I thank You for the reminder that Satan can only tempt, not force. Help me to take responsibility for my own decisions and not to blame others or circumstances. Give me the courage to confess my sins honestly.

Search my heart and reveal any self-inflicted problems that I have created through bad behavior or by acting on lies. Help me to recognize and break destructive patterns. Lead me to repentance and change.

Teach me to access and apply Your wisdom in every situation. Help me to seek Your guidance before taking action and to trust that Your way is best. Protect me from temporary fixes that lead to deeper trouble.

I pray for those who are trapped in the blame game. Open their eyes to see their own responsibility. Lead them to repentance and help them to find true resolution in You.

Lord, I choose this day to stop blaming others, to take responsibility for my choices, and to seek Your wisdom. Help me to walk in humility and honesty before You.

In Jesus' name, who took responsibility for our sins,

Amen.

Comments