Facing Overwhelming Problems

Facing Overwhelming Problems
What Does It Mean?
This teaching addresses the universal experience of facing problems and overwhelming situations. The instruction begins by asking a relatable question: "Kept awake at night? Can't sleep?" It acknowledges that problems are roadblocks that create emotional conflicts, forcing us to find a resolution. Problems can be seemingly overwhelming situations, almost beyond our ability to deal with, requiring great effort to bear or overcome. They can be simple or complicated, self-inflicted or caused entirely by the actions or attitudes of others.
The teaching then turns to how we respond when facing an overwhelming situation. When evaluating a task or challenge, we are so often influenced by what we see. The example of the Israelite spies is instructive. They entered the Promised Land and saw that it was indeed a bountiful country—a land flowing with milk and honey. But they also saw that the people living there were powerful, their towns were large and fortified, and there were giants. Instead of trusting God, they focused on the difficulties, and this got in the way of success.
The teaching identifies the "bottom line": learn and grow. We must be fast learners that God's way is always the best way to go and get things done. The instruction presents two key scriptures. Romans 5:3-4 declares that we can rejoice when we run into problems and trials because they help us develop endurance, and endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. Second Corinthians 1:8-10 reveals Paul's experience of being crushed and overwhelmed beyond their ability to endure, to the point where they expected to die. But as a result, they stopped relying on themselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. And God did rescue them and will continue to rescue them.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the invitation to rejoice in problems and trials. This is counter-intuitive. We naturally want to avoid problems, not rejoice in them. But the teaching reveals that problems serve a purpose—they develop endurance, character, and hope. This reframes how we view difficulties.
Another surprising insight is that problems can be God's way of teaching us to rely on Him. Paul wrote that the trouble they faced was so overwhelming that they stopped relying on themselves and learned to rely only on God. Sometimes God allows problems to strip away our self-sufficiency and drive us to dependence on Him.
The teaching also reveals that the spies' failure was not in seeing the difficulties but in allowing what they saw to overshadow God's promise. The difficulties were real—the people were powerful, the cities were fortified, and there were giants. But God had promised to give them the land. Their focus on the problem rather than on the promise led to failure.
Perhaps most challenging is the call to be a "fast learner" that God's way is always the best. This means we should not have to go through the same trial repeatedly. We should learn from our experiences and grow in our trust in God.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Reframe How I View Problems
The teaching invites me to rejoice in problems because they develop endurance, character, and hope. I need to reframe how I view difficulties, seeing them as opportunities for growth rather than obstacles to be avoided.
I can apply this by:
Asking what God wants to teach me through my trials
Not seeing problems as punishments but as growth opportunities
Embracing difficulties with faith and patience
Trusting that God is working in my challenges
Focus on God's Promises, Not the Giants
The spies saw the difficulties and forgot God's promise. I need to focus on God's promises, not on the obstacles in my path.
I can do this by:
Remembering God's faithfulness in the past
Trusting that God will fulfill His promises
Not letting fear of obstacles overshadow faith in God
Keeping my eyes on God, not on my circumstances
Learn to Rely Only on God
Paul learned to rely only on God when he was overwhelmed. I need to learn the same lesson, trusting God even when I cannot see the way forward.
I can apply this by:
Admitting my helplessness
Depending on God's strength, not my own
Praying for help and guidance
Trusting that God will rescue me
Develop Endurance Through Trials
Endurance is developed through trials. I need to allow trials to do their work in me, developing patience, perseverance, and strength of character.
I can do this by:
Not giving up when things are difficult
Persevering through challenges
Allowing trials to strengthen my faith
Being patient in the process
Be a Fast Learner
The teaching calls me to be a fast learner that God's way is always the best. I need to learn from my experiences and grow in my trust in God.
I can apply this by:
Reflecting on what God is teaching me
Not repeating the same mistakes
Applying lessons learned to future situations
Growing in wisdom through experience
Trust God's Rescue
Paul was confident that God would continue to rescue him. I need to have the same confidence, trusting that God will deliver me from my trials.
I can do this by:
Remembering past deliverances
Trusting that God will rescue me again
Placing my confidence in God, not in circumstances
Resting in God's faithfulness
Final Reflections
This teaching on facing overwhelming problems offers a perspective that transforms how we view difficulties. Problems are not just obstacles to be avoided but opportunities for growth, character development, and deeper dependence on God.
The example of the spies is a warning against letting our focus on difficulties overshadow our faith in God's promises. The obstacles were real, but God's promise was greater. When we focus on the giants, we lose sight of the God who is bigger than any giant.
Paul's experience of being overwhelmed is a powerful testimony of God's faithfulness. He was crushed and beyond his ability to endure, but he learned to rely only on God. This is the lesson we all need to learn—when we are weak, God is strong. When we are helpless, God is our help.
The call to be a fast learner is a challenge. God does not want us to go through the same trials repeatedly. He wants us to learn, grow, and develop endurance, character, and hope. Each trial is an opportunity to trust Him more deeply and to experience His rescue.
This teaching invites me to rejoice in problems, to focus on God's promises, and to rely only on Him. It reminds me that God is working in my trials, developing endurance and character, and strengthening my hope. With this perspective, I can face any problem with faith and confidence.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that acknowledges the challenges I face. I confess that I have sometimes focused on my problems rather than on Your promises. Forgive me for my fear and for the times I have let difficulties overshadow my faith in You.
Lord, I thank You that You are greater than any problem I face. Thank You that You use trials to develop endurance, character, and hope in me. Help me to rejoice in problems, trusting that You are working for my good.
Teach me to focus on Your promises, not on the giants in my path. Help me to remember Your faithfulness in the past and to trust that You will be faithful in the future. When I am overwhelmed, remind me to rely only on You.
Develop endurance in me through trials. Strengthen my character and my confident hope of salvation. Help me to be a fast learner, growing in wisdom and trust through every experience.
I pray for those who are overwhelmed by problems tonight. Crushed and unable to endure, may they learn to rely only on You. Rescue them from their trials and give them hope and confidence in Your faithfulness.
Lord, I place my confidence in You. I trust that You will rescue me, strengthen me, and lead me through every trial. Let my life be a testimony to Your faithfulness and a witness to Your power.
In Jesus' name, who is my strength and my deliverer,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment