Running from Our Problems
Running from Our Problems
What Does It Mean?
This teaching addresses our natural tendency to run away from problems rather than face them. The instruction begins by acknowledging the universal experience of being kept awake at night by problems. It defines problems as roadblocks that create emotional conflicts, forcing us to find a resolution. They can be overwhelming situations, almost beyond our ability to deal with, requiring great effort to bear or overcome. They can be simple or complicated, self-inflicted, or caused entirely by the actions or attitudes of others.
The teaching then presents the example of Hagar. She was Sarah's servant, and after conflict arose between her and Sarah, she ran away into the wilderness. The angel of the Lord found her and asked, "Hagar, Sarai's servant, where have you come from, and where are you going?" She replied, "I'm running away from my mistress, Sarai."
The teaching makes a direct connection: Hagar does what we do. She ran away from the person she identified as the cause of her conflicts. This is a huge temptation. Most of us run away from our problems.
The instruction reveals a fundamental human pattern. When faced with conflict, our instinct is often to escape—to remove ourselves from the situation, the person, or the source of our pain. But running away rarely solves the problem; it often creates new ones.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the admission that running away is a "huge temptation" and that most of us do it. This normalizes the experience of wanting to escape, acknowledging that it is a common human response. The teaching does not condemn this impulse but recognizes it as a reality we all face.
Another surprising insight is the question the angel asked Hagar: "Where have you come from, and where are you going?" This is not just a geographical question but a spiritual one. The angel was asking Hagar to consider her past and her future—to reflect on where she had been and where she was headed. This question invites self-examination and redirection.
The teaching also reveals that running away does not solve problems. Hagar ran away from Sarah, but she was still carrying her problems with her. She was alone, pregnant, and in the wilderness. Running away did not bring her peace or resolution. It simply changed her location while leaving her problems intact.
Perhaps most challenging is the recognition that I, like Hagar, am tempted to run away from the people and situations that cause me conflict. This is a natural impulse, but it is not necessarily the wisest one. The teaching invites me to examine my own tendency to escape and to consider whether God might be calling me to face my problems instead.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Recognize My Tendency to Run
The teaching reveals that running away from problems is a common human response. I need to recognize this tendency in myself and not be surprised when I feel the urge to escape.
I can apply this by:
Being honest about my desire to avoid conflict
Not justifying my escape as wisdom
Recognizing when I am running rather than facing
Asking God for the courage to confront my problems
Examine Where I Am and Where I Am Going
The angel asked Hagar to consider her past and her future. I need to do the same, reflecting on where I have come from and where I am headed.
I can do this by:
Asking what has led me to this point
Considering the consequences of running
Thinking about where my path is leading
Seeking God's guidance for my next steps
Face My Problems Rather Than Run
Running away does not solve problems; it simply relocates them. I need to face my problems and seek resolution rather than escape.
I can apply this by:
Confronting conflicts directly
Not avoiding difficult conversations
Seeking reconciliation rather than escape
Trusting God for strength to face my challenges
Seek God's Guidance in the Wilderness
When Hagar was in the wilderness, God met her there. He did not abandon her. I need to seek God's guidance even when I am in the wilderness of my problems.
I can do this by:
Praying for direction
Listening for God's voice
Trusting that God is with me even in difficult places
Asking God for wisdom to navigate my situation
Be Honest About My Conflicts
Hagar admitted she was running away from Sarah. I need to be honest about my conflicts and not pretend everything is fine when it is not.
I can apply this by:
Acknowledging the sources of my conflict
Not minimizing my struggles
Being honest with myself and with God
Seeking help when needed
Trust God's Plan Even When I Don't Understand
Hagar did not know what the future held, but God had a plan for her and her son. I need to trust God's plan even when I cannot see the way forward.
I can do this by:
Believing that God has a purpose for my life
Trusting that He will guide me through my problems
Not giving up hope when things are difficult
Resting in God's sovereignty
Final Reflections
This teaching on running from our problems presents a relatable and honest picture of human nature. Like Hagar, we are tempted to run away from the people and situations that cause us pain. Conflict is uncomfortable, and our instinct is often to escape rather than to engage.
The story of Hagar is a powerful reminder that running away does not solve problems. Hagar ran into the wilderness, but her problems went with her. She was still pregnant, still in conflict with Sarah, and still uncertain about the future. Running away simply changed her location while leaving her problems intact.
Yet the story also reveals God's compassion. He did not abandon Hagar in the wilderness. He sent an angel to ask her questions, to guide her, and to give her a promise. God met Hagar in her escape and redirected her steps.
This teaching calls me to examine my own tendency to run away from problems. It invites me to be honest about my conflicts, to face them rather than flee, and to seek God's guidance in the process. It reminds me that God is with me even in the wilderness and that He has a plan for my life.
The ultimate lesson is that running away is not the answer. The answer is to trust God, to face my problems with courage, and to seek His guidance every step of the way. When I do, I find that God meets me in my difficulties and leads me to a better place.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that acknowledges my tendency to run away from problems. I confess that I have sometimes avoided conflict, escaping from people and situations rather than facing them. Forgive me for my fear and for the times I have chosen flight over faith.
Lord, I thank You that You met Hagar in the wilderness and guided her steps. Help me to seek Your guidance when I am tempted to run. Give me the courage to face my problems and to trust that You are with me.
When I am in the wilderness of my difficulties, remind me that You are there. Help me to be honest about my conflicts and to seek resolution rather than escape. Give me wisdom to navigate my challenges and faith to trust Your plan.
I pray for those who are running away from their problems today. Meet them in their escape and redirect their steps. Give them the courage to face their conflicts and the faith to trust in You.
Lord, I choose this day to face my problems with courage and to seek Your guidance in all things. Help me to stop running and to trust that You will lead me through every difficulty.
In Jesus' name, who is my refuge and my strength,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment