COVENANT: PENALTY & PROMISE (GOD & ABRAHAM)

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. Covenant 

a) "Jesus has obtained a more excellent ministry, because he is the mediator of a better covenant, which is based on better promises" (Hebrews 8:6-8).

b) “What sort of covenant was this new and better one?” To answer that question, we need to consider the kind of covenant.

2. Penalty And Promise

a) It is a covenant that makes promises that are conditional upon the beneficiary doing something specified.

b) For example, God and Abraham...

i) The covenant God made with Abraham was of this kind, and depended on Abraham’s obedience to God’s commands — as shown in the oath God swore to Abraham.

"When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, 'I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless, that I may make my covenant between me and you, and may multiply you greatly' " (Genesis 17:1-2).


"By myself I have sworn, because you have done this thing, and not withheld your son, your only son, indeed I will greatly bless you... and in your seed all the nations of earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice" (Genesis 22:16-18). 



The End ...

Comments