MY FATHER'S BUSINESS

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. My Father's Business

 Luke 2:41-52
The Boy Jesus Amazes the Scholars
41 His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43 When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother did not know it; 44 but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day’s journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 48 So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.”

49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.

51 Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

2. Commentary

a) When Jesus said “I must be about My Father’s business”, He was not referring to Joseph, but to His Heavenly Father.  In John 5:19 Jesus said that He can do nothing by himself  but only what he sees His Father doing.  Again, in John 6:38 He says that He came down from heaven, not to do His will, but to do the will of the One who sent Him.

b) Jesus did nothing apart from His Father and longed only to live the purpose His Heavenly Father had for Him.  Only He truly knew what it entailed and all He was called to, likewise, only you know your Father’s purpose for your own life.

c) We must be about our Father’s business.  We must ask Him what it is He created us for and be obedient walking into His perfectly chosen destiny for our lives.

3. Prayer

a) Here is a prayer that you may ask our Heavenly Father...

Heavenly Father, 

I ask that you to show me what Your will is for my life.  I ask that You reveal to me what You have prepared for me to do, Lord, and that You would open my eyes to see as Jesus saw what You had for Him to do, and that  You would open my ears to hear Your voice speaking to me the truth of Your will.  Strengthen me to do what you have called me to do.  

In Jesus’  Name.  Amen.


The End ...

Comments