Don't Carry Yesterday

Don't Carry Yesterday

An Elaborate Devotion for Busy People

Opening Stillness (1 Minute)

You are carrying something that does not belong today.

It might be a mistake you made five years ago that still plays on a loop when you try to sleep. It might be a conversation that ended a relationship you never got to repair. It might be a version of yourself—the younger, more hopeful, less wounded you—that you keep trying to drag into the present. It might be a grief that should have softened by now but somehow feels as sharp as the day it arrived.

Whatever it is, it is heavy. And it is old. It belongs to yesterday. But your hands are still gripping it. Your shoulders are still bent under it. Your mind is still circling it like a planet trapped in orbit.

Before you read on, do one thing: look around the room you are in. Notice that the sun coming through the window is today's sun. The air moving through your lungs is today's breath. The moment you are sitting in is not yesterday. It never will be. You are here. And that is not nothing.

Breathe. Yesterday is finished. And you have permission to let it stay there.

The Anchor Scripture

Philippians 3:13–14 & Isaiah 43:18–19 (NIV)

"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."

Part 1: The Luggage We Refuse to Check

(2–3 Minutes)

We are all traveling with more bags than we can carry.

The bag of regrets. The one filled with words we wish we could unspeak, choices we wish we could unchoose, paths we wish we had not taken. It is heavy with the particular gravity of if only.

The bag of grievances. The wrongs done to us. The betrayals. The abandonments. The injustices we have catalogued so carefully that we could recite them in our sleep. This bag feels like justice. It is actually just weight.

The bag of old identities. The person we used to be before the divorce, the diagnosis, the failure, the success, the move, the loss. We keep pulling out the old photographs, the old labels, the old expectations, and trying to wear them even though they no longer fit.

The bag of grief. Not just for people we have lost, but for versions of our lives that died. The future we planned that never arrived. The dream that evaporated. The innocence we cannot recover.

And here is the thing about luggage: after a while, you stop noticing how heavy it is. You adjust your posture. You build your schedule around the weight. You forget that there was ever a time when you traveled light. You begin to believe that exhaustion is just the normal price of being alive.

But it is not. You were not designed to carry yesterday into today. You were designed for mercy that is new every morning. For grace that arrives daily, like manna, and cannot be hoarded. For a God who says, "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past."

Reflect: What from yesterday are you still carrying today? Name the bag. Is it regret, grievance, old identity, grief, or something else? How has the weight become so normal that you no longer notice it?

Part 2: Forgetting What Is Behind

(3–4 Minutes)

Paul's words in Philippians 3 are shocking in their simplicity: "Forgetting what is behind."

This is the same Paul who persecuted the church. Who held the coats while Stephen was stoned. Who breathed murderous threats against disciples of Jesus. If anyone had a yesterday worth carrying—the guilt, the shame, the horror of what he had done—it was Paul.

And yet he says: I forget it.

The Greek word for forgetting here is epilanthanomai—it means to lose sight of, to neglect, to no longer care for. Paul is not saying he has amnesia. He is saying he has stopped granting his past the power to define his present. He has stopped looking back. He has changed the direction of his gaze.

This is not denial. Paul never pretended his past did not happen. He spoke about it openly. He called himself the "chief of sinners" (1 Timothy 1:15). But he did not live there. He did not let his past be the address of his soul.

Forgetting what is behind means:

You acknowledge the past without letting it narrate your future.

You learn from the wound without letting it name you.

You remember the lesson but release the ledger.

You honor what was without demanding that it still be.

Isaiah 43:18 says it even more directly: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past." The Hebrew word for dwell means to ponder, to meditate, to give attention to. God is not saying the past did not happen. He is saying: Stop giving it your attention. Stop feeding it your thoughts. Stop letting it rent space in your mind.

Reflect: What from your past are you still "dwelling" on? What memory, identity, or wound still gets the best hours of your attention? What would it look like to stop letting yesterday narrate today?

Part 3: The New Thing Already Springing Up

(3–4 Minutes)

God does not leave you with an empty hand.

He says: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?"

This is the exchange. You do not just drop yesterday and stand in an empty room. You drop it so your hands are free to receive what God is already doing. The new thing is already springing up. The question is whether you can see it.

If your eyes are fixed on the rearview mirror, you will miss the road unfolding in front of you. If your hands are full of old grievances, you cannot receive new mercies. If your identity is anchored in who you used to be, you will resist who you are becoming.

The new thing God is doing may not look impressive yet. It may look like a small shoot in a wasteland. It may look like a quiet stirring where there was only numbness. It may look like a single relationship that is healthier than the ones you used to choose. It may look like a peace you do not understand in the middle of circumstances that have not changed.

But it is real. And it is now. And it requires you to stop staring at the door that closed so you can notice the one that is opening.

Reflect: What "new thing" might God be doing in your life right now that you have been too busy looking backward to notice? What small shoot is springing up in your wasteland?

Part 4: The Mercy of a New Morning

(3–4 Minutes)

Lamentations 3:22–23 says: "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

Every morning. Not every year. Not every season. Every morning.

This means that whatever happened yesterday—whatever failure, whatever argument, whatever despair, whatever spiral—does not have the final word today. The sun rises on fresh mercy. The alarm clock is an announcement that the ledger has been wiped clean again. The coffee brewing is a sacrament of new beginnings.

You do not have to carry yesterday's failure into today's grace. You do not have to drag yesterday's grief into today's possibilities. You do not have to let yesterday's identity dictate today's choices.

The Israelites tried to hoard manna. They woke up and gathered extra, storing it in jars, afraid that God would not provide tomorrow. And the manna rotted (Exodus 16:20). It was only good for the day it was given. Yesterday's grace cannot sustain today's need. And today's grace is poisoned by yesterday's bitterness.

You need today's bread. Today's mercy. Today's strength. And it is already here.

Reflect: What from yesterday are you trying to hoard into today? What old grace has soured because you will not let it go? Can you trust that today's mercy is already on its way?

Part 5: When Yesterday Was Better

(3–4 Minutes)

Sometimes the problem is not that yesterday was painful. It is that yesterday was better.

You look back at a season of life when you were healthier, happier, more connected, more hopeful, more successful. And the present feels like a downgrade. You keep comparing today to the highlight reel of yesterday, and today always loses.

This is the danger of nostalgia. It edits out the struggle and preserves only the glow. It turns a complicated past into a golden age that never actually existed. And it robs the present of its own dignity.

Lot's wife looked back at Sodom and became a pillar of salt (Genesis 19:26). She was not looking back at righteousness. She was looking back at comfort. At familiarity. At a life she had known, even though it was destroying her. And the looking back destroyed her.

The Israelites in the wilderness kept looking back at Egypt. "We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic" (Numbers 11:5). They had been slaves. They had been oppressed. But nostalgia made Egypt look like a buffet. And their looking back kept them from entering the Promised Land.

If your best days are all behind you, you have misunderstood the gospel. The God who raised Jesus from the dead is not finished with your story. The best work He does is often hidden in seasons that feel like wilderness. Do not let the edited memory of yesterday steal the real promise of tomorrow.

Reflect: Are you looking back at a "better" yesterday and comparing it unfairly to today? What if God is doing something deeper now than He was then? Can you trust that your best days are not behind you?

Part 6: Practical Ways to Set Down Yesterday

(3–4 Minutes)

You cannot think your way out of carrying the past. You need practices. Rituals. Small acts that train your body and soul to travel lighter.

The Morning Wipe. Before you check your phone, before you rehearse yesterday's problems, say this: "This is a new day. Yesterday's mercies were for yesterday. Today's are new." Let the first conscious thought of the day be a release, not a replay.

The Name and Release. Write down one thing from yesterday that you are carrying—one regret, one grievance, one failure. Fold the paper. Say: "This belongs to yesterday. I do not carry it today." Throw it away. Burn it if you can. Let your body learn what your mind believes.

The Rearview Mirror Limit. When you find yourself rehearsing the past today, set a timer for two minutes. Let yourself feel it. Then when the timer goes off, say: "Time's up. That is not today's work." Turn your attention to one thing in front of you.

The New Thing Scan. Once today, look for one thing God is doing that could not have happened yesterday. A new bud on a plant. A new conversation. A new thought. A new peace. Name it. Thank Him for it. Let it be evidence that He is already doing a new thing.

The Identity Update. If you are carrying an old identity that no longer fits, write a new one based on who God says you are today—not who you were, not who you failed to be, but who Christ says you are now.

Part 7: A Prayer for Traveling Light

(2–3 Minutes)

Read this prayer as an act of setting down the bags. Let each line be a zipper opening, a weight lifting, a hand letting go.

Lord, I have been carrying yesterday into today.

I carry my regrets like a backpack I cannot unstrap. I carry my grievances like a shield I think protects me. I carry my old identity like a coat that no longer fits but I am afraid to take off. I carry my grief like a treasure I cannot bear to put down.

But You say: Forget the former things. Do not dwell on the past. You say Your compassions are new every morning. You say You are doing a new thing—now, already, springing up.

I confess that I have been looking backward so long that I have missed what is in front of me. I have been living in the address of my past while You have prepared a new home in my future. I have been hoarding old manna while fresh bread is on the table.

I set down the bag of regrets. I cannot undo what I did. I cannot unspeak what I said. But I can stop letting it define me. Your mercy covers it. Your grace is bigger than it.

I set down the bag of grievances. They hurt me. They wronged me. But carrying the debt is crushing me, not them. I hand the justice to You. I take my hands off the throat of the past.

I set down the bag of old identities. I am not who I was. I am not my failure. I am not my success. I am not my loss. I am who You say I am—Yours, new, called, beloved.

I set down the bag of grief. Not forgetting. Not dismissing. But releasing the demand that yesterday's loss dictate today's joy. You are making streams in this wasteland. Help me see them.

I turn my face forward. I strain toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal. Not because I am strong enough, but because You are calling me. And the prize is not behind me. It is ahead.

Make me light, Lord. Make me free. Let me travel through today unburdened by yesterday. Let me receive the new thing You are already doing. Let me perceive it. Let me enter it.

This is a new day. And I am Yours.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Closing Blessing

(1 Minute)

Go now, lighter than you came. Yesterday is finished. Its failures are forgiven. Its grief is held by God. Its identity is retired. Its mercies were for then. Today's are for now.

May the Lord give you grace to forget what is behind.

May His compassions meet you fresh this morning, and every morning.

May you perceive the new thing He is already doing in your wilderness.

And may you press on toward what is ahead—unburdened, unbound, and unafraid.

Do not carry yesterday. Your hands were made to receive today.

Return to this devotion whenever the bags feel heavy again. The door is open. The road is ahead. And the new thing is already springing up.

Comments