PEOPLE-PLEASING

PEOPLE-PLEASING

THE SLAVERY OF APPROVAL

Key Scripture

πŸ“– Galatians 1:10 (NKJV)
"For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."

Introduction

There is a subtle addiction that plagues the modern church, yet it is rarely named from the pulpit. It is the addiction to approval—the desperate, gnawing need to be liked, accepted, and affirmed by others. It manifests in the way we speak, the way we dress, the way we post on social media, and even the way we serve in ministry. We carefully curate our image to ensure we are not rejected. We soften the truth to avoid conflict. We say yes when we mean no. We smile when we are dying inside. We live our lives as if we are on a stage, performing for an audience of people whose opinions have become our oxygen.

The Apostle Paul understood this temptation intimately. Before his conversion, he was the ultimate people-pleaser—a Pharisee who lived for the praise and validation of the religious elite. But after his encounter with Christ on the Damascus Road, everything changed. Paul no longer lived for the applause of men; he lived for the approval of God. In Galatians 1:10, Paul cuts to the heart of the matter with surgical precision: you cannot serve two masters. You cannot live for the praise of people and simultaneously be a bondservant of Christ. One will always dominate the other. This teaching is for everyone who has ever felt trapped by the expectations of others, exhausted by the performance of perfection, or silenced by the fear of rejection. It is time to break free from the slavery of people-pleasing and discover the liberating freedom of living for an audience of One.

Biblical Truth

The Apostle Paul's words in Galatians are not a casual observation; they are a theological bombshell. The context is critical. False teachers had infiltrated the Galatian churches, insisting that Gentile believers must be circumcised and follow the Mosaic law to be saved. These "Judaizers" were peddling a gospel of works, and they were persuasive. The Galatians were wavering, and Paul was furious. He begins his letter not with the usual thanksgiving, but with a sharp rebuke: "I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel" (Galatians 1:6).

Then Paul defends his own apostleship. He asserts that the gospel he preaches did not come from men, nor was he taught it by men. It came by revelation from Jesus Christ. He then makes his bold declaration: "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ." Paul's point is profound. His ministry was not shaped by public opinion; it was shaped by divine revelation. He did not adjust his message to make it more palatable. He did not soften the offence of the cross to avoid persecution. He had died to the need for human approval.

The Greek word for "bondservant" is doulos, which means a slave—one who is entirely owned and whose will is completely submitted to their master. Paul is saying that true slavery to Christ is incompatible with slavery to the opinions of people. You cannot be a slave to two masters. The moment you begin to tailor your words, your convictions, or your behaviour to win the favour of others, you have ceased to be a slave to Christ. You have become a slave to the crowd. Jesus Himself declared, "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other" (Matthew 6:24). People-pleasing is idolatry because it elevates human opinion above divine command.

What We Often Get Wrong

There are several layers to the error of people-pleasing, and many of us are trapped in ways we do not even recognize.

First, we confuse love with approval. We believe that if we are honest about our convictions or set healthy boundaries, we will offend others and therefore lose their love. So, we become chameleons—changing our colours to match whatever environment we are in. We agree with opinions we do not hold, we laugh at jokes we find offensive, and we remain silent when we should speak. But love does not require agreement; love requires truth spoken in love (Ephesians 4:15). Love without truth is sentimentality; truth without love is brutality. True love holds both together.

Second, we are addicted to the praise of men. There is a deep, almost physiological pleasure that comes from being praised. It releases dopamine in our brains, creating a chemical dependency on external validation. We crave the likes, the comments, the compliments, the invitations, and the recognition. But the praise of men is a poor substitute for the praise of God. Jesus warned the religious leaders of His day: "How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God?" (John 5:44). The pursuit of human praise actually hinders faith because it makes us dependent on the approval of finite, fallible people rather than the infinite, unchanging love of God.

Third, we fear rejection more than we fear God. This is the root of people-pleasing. We are terrified of being excluded, criticized, or misunderstood. This fear of man is a snare, as Proverbs 29:25 declares: "The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe." When we fear man, we are held captive by their opinions. We make decisions based on how they will be received rather than on what God has commanded. We become reactive, not proactive—driven by the winds of public opinion rather than the anchor of God's Word.

Fourth, we mistake approval-seeking for servant-heartedness. There is a difference between serving others and pleasing them. Servant-heartedness is motivated by love and obedience to God. People-pleasing is motivated by fear and a desire for personal affirmation. A true servant serves God by serving others, regardless of whether they are appreciated. A people-pleaser serves others only to be appreciated, and when the appreciation does not come, resentment follows.

Fifth, we compromise our convictions to avoid conflict. We know what God's Word says, but we are afraid to speak it because we might offend someone—a family member, a coworker, a church leader, or a friend. We water down the gospel, we avoid difficult conversations, and we remain silent in the face of sin. This is not wisdom; this is cowardice, and it is displeasing to God. Paul asked, "Do I now persuade men, or God?" In other words, whose opinion matters most in your life?

God's Perspective

From the divine vantage point, people-pleasing is a form of idolatry. It places the creature above the Creator. It says that human approval is more valuable than divine approval. It says that the opinions of finite, sinful, inconsistent people matter more than the verdict of the holy, eternal, and unshakable God. When we live for the applause of men, we are effectively worshiping them—or at least, we are worshiping their opinion of us. And God will not share His glory with another (Isaiah 42:8).

God's perspective is that you are already approved in Christ. The Father looked at you through the lens of the Cross and said, "This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased." Your identity is not determined by what people think of you; it is determined by what God says about you. In Christ, you are forgiven, accepted, adopted, redeemed, and seated in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6). There is nothing you can do to make God love you more, and nothing you can do to make Him love you less. His love is unconditional, and His approval is eternal. When you truly grasp this, the approval of man loses its power over you. You are free to be exactly who God called you to be, regardless of who approves or disapproves.

God sees people-pleasers as captives—bound by chains of fear, insecurity, and pride. The fear of man is a prison, and God wants to set you free. The Apostle Peter, who once denied Christ out of fear of people, was later so transformed by the Holy Spirit that he stood before the Sanhedrin and declared, "We ought to obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29). That transformation is available to you. God does not want you to be cruel or unloving; He wants you to be truthful, courageous, and completely devoted to Him. He wants your life to be a single, undivided offering to His glory, not a fragmented performance designed to please a fickle audience.

Practical Application

Identify Your Audience: Who are you really living for? Take an honest inventory of your decisions over the past week. Did you make choices based on what God wanted or based on what people would think? Write down the names of the people whose approval you most crave. Then, intentionally surrender that craving to God. Ask Him to give you a heart that lives for His applause alone.

Practice Saying No with Grace: People-pleasers struggle with boundaries. They say yes to every request because they fear disappointing others. But saying yes when God wants you to say no is disobedience. Learn to say, "I would love to help, but I need to prayerfully consider this first." Then, if the answer is no, communicate it with love but without guilt. Remember, you are not responsible for managing other people's disappointment; you are responsible for obeying God.

Speak Truth in Love: Commit to speaking the truth, even when it is uncomfortable. This does not mean you are harsh or abrasive; it means you are honest. If a friend is heading toward destruction, speak the truth. If a coworker is gossiping, politely disengage. If you are in a conversation where sin is being celebrated, express your conviction with grace. Start small, and let the Holy Spirit give you courage. Remember, silence is often interpreted as agreement.

Fast from Social Media: Social media is one of the greatest amplifiers of people-pleasing. We post to be seen, to be liked, and to be validated. Consider taking a break for a week or a month. Use that time to recalibrate your heart to God's approval instead of the approval of online followers. When you return, be intentional about your content. Share what honours God, not what earns likes.

Meditate on Your Identity in Christ: Daily remind yourself of who you are in Christ. Write down a list of scriptures that declare your identity—I am a child of God (John 1:12); I am righteous in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21); I am accepted (Ephesians 1:6); I am free (Romans 8:2). Read them aloud every morning. When you know who you are in Christ, you will be less desperate for the approval of others.

Ask Yourself

Am I more concerned with what people think of me than what God thinks of me?

Is there a person or a group whose approval I am desperate for? Why?

Have I ever compromised my convictions to avoid conflict or rejection?

Do I say yes to things God is telling me to say no to?

If I knew I would never be rejected for it, what would I say or do differently?

Reflection

People-pleasing is a prison, but the key to the door is in your hand. The key is the knowledge that you are fully, completely, and eternally approved in Christ. The verdict is already in: you are forgiven, accepted, and loved. There is no human being whose opinion matters more than the opinion of God. And God says, "This is My child, whom I love." When you truly believe that, you will find the courage to speak the truth, set healthy boundaries, and live a life of radical obedience. You will stop being a chameleon, changing your colours to fit the crowd, and you will become who you truly are—a child of God, a bondservant of Christ, and a citizen of heaven. The applause of men will fade, but the approval of God is eternal. Live for that. Serve that. Treasure that. And you will be free.

Prayer

Father, I come to You with a heart that has been enslaved to the approval of others. I confess that I have cared more about what people think of me than what You think of me. I have compromised my convictions, silenced my voice, and shaped my life around the expectations of others. Forgive me for the idolatry of people-pleasing. I repent of fearing man more than I fear You. Today, I renounce the need for human applause. I release the opinions of those I have been trying to impress. I choose to live for an audience of One—You alone. Help me to speak the truth in love, to set healthy boundaries, and to walk in the freedom of being Your child. Let my life be a single, undivided offering to Your glory. I am Yours, and I am free. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I am a bondservant of Christ, and I cannot serve two masters. I refuse to be enslaved by the opinions of people. My identity is not found in their approval; my identity is found in Christ. I am fully forgiven, fully accepted, and fully loved by the Father. The praise of man is temporary, but the approval of God is eternal. I will speak the truth in love, I will set healthy boundaries, and I will live with courage and conviction. I fear God, not man. I live for God, not for applause. I am free from the slavery of people-pleasing, and I walk in the freedom of Christ.

Concluding Scripture

πŸ“– Proverbs 29:25 (NKJV)
"The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe." 

Comments