The Sanctuary Perspective

The Sanctuary Perspective

What Does It Mean?

This teaching addresses one of the most challenging struggles of faith: why the wicked prosper while the righteous suffer. The instruction begins with Proverbs 15:14, establishing that the wise person is hungry for knowledge while the fool feeds on trash. It then asks a crucial question: "What do we see in the world system everyday?" The answer is that what we observe in our modern age is nothing new.

The teaching turns to Psalm 73, where Asaph, the psalmist, honestly confesses his struggle. He almost lost his footing because he envied the proud when he saw them prosper despite their wickedness. The wicked seemed to live painless lives, healthy and strong, without troubles like other people. They wore pride like jewelry, clothed themselves with cruelty, and had everything their hearts could wish for. They scoffed and spoke evil, crushing others with their pride.

Asaph was tempted to think that his purity was meaningless. He questioned, "Did I keep my heart pure for nothing?" He was troubled all day long while the wicked prospered. This is a common struggle—seeing evil people succeed while those who seek God face difficulties.

The turning point came when Asaph went into God's sanctuary. There he gained perspective. He finally understood the destiny of the wicked: they are on a slippery path, sliding toward destruction. Their prosperity is temporary, and in an instant they will be destroyed. Asaph realized that his heart had been bitter and foolish, and he confessed his ignorance.

The psalm concludes with Asaph's renewed commitment to God. He acknowledged, "Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny." He declared that even if his health fails and his spirit grows weak, God remains the strength of his heart. His final declaration is one of trust and testimony: "How good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do."

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is Asaph's honest confession of his struggle. He does not pretend to have all the answers or to be unaffected by the prosperity of the wicked. He admits that he almost lost his footing, that he envied the proud, and that he was tempted to question the value of his own faithfulness. This honesty makes the psalm relatable and authentic.

Another surprising insight is the solution to Asaph's struggle. It was not intellectual argument or philosophical reasoning that resolved his doubts—it was entering into God's sanctuary. This means worship, prayer, and the presence of God. In the sanctuary, Asaph gained a perspective he could not find anywhere else. He saw the destiny of the wicked from God's viewpoint, and he realized that his own bitterness was foolish.

The teaching also reveals that the wicked's prosperity is not a sign of God's favor but a path to destruction. The wicked may seem to have everything, but they are on a slippery path. Their success is temporary, and their downfall is certain. This does not minimize the present suffering of the righteous but reorients their perspective toward eternity.

Perhaps most challenging is Asaph's acknowledgment of his own bitterness. He realized that he was "all torn up inside" and that he was "foolish and ignorant." This confession is essential. Before he could gain understanding, he had to admit his own wrong perspective. Bitterness and envy had clouded his judgment, and he needed to repent.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Be Honest About My Struggles

Asaph was honest about his envy and doubt. I should be honest with God about my struggles, even when they are uncomfortable. God can handle my questions and doubts.

I can apply this by:

Bringing my honest feelings to God in prayer

Not pretending to be unaffected by injustice

Acknowledging when I am tempted to envy the wicked

Confessing bitterness and asking for forgiveness

Seek God's Presence for Perspective

The turning point came when Asaph entered God's sanctuary. I need to seek God's presence regularly, especially when I am struggling with doubt or confusion. Worship, prayer, and Scripture reading give me eternal perspective.

I can do this by:

Spending time in worship and prayer

Reading Scripture for perspective, not just information

Going to church and gathering with believers

Creating space for quiet reflection with God

Trust in God's Justice

The wicked may prosper now, but their success is temporary. I need to trust that God's justice will prevail in the end. He sees what is happening and will make all things right.

I can apply this by:

Not being envious of the wicked's temporary success

Trusting that God's judgment is sure

Focusing on eternal rewards rather than present circumstances

Resting in the knowledge that God is sovereign

Guard Against Bitterness

Asaph realized his heart was bitter and foolish. I need to guard against bitterness, which can cloud my judgment and lead me away from God.

I can do this by:

Examining my heart for bitterness regularly

Confessing and releasing resentment

Not letting envy take root

Praying for those who wrong me

Remember My Belonging to God

Asaph declared, "Yet I still belong to you." Despite his struggles, he knew he belonged to God. I need to remember my identity in Christ, which is not shaken by circumstances.

I can apply this by:

Grounding my identity in Christ, not in circumstances

Remembering that I am God's child regardless of what happens

Not letting the success of the wicked define my worth

Trusting that God holds my right hand

Make God My Shelter

Asaph declared, "I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter." I need to make God my refuge, trusting in Him even when the world seems unfair.

I can do this by:

Running to God in times of trouble

Not looking to worldly solutions for security

Trusting in God's protection and provision

Making Him my ultimate source of safety

Share Testimony with Others

Asaph concluded, "I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do." Once he gained perspective, he did not keep it to himself. I should share my testimony of God's faithfulness with others.

I can apply this by:

Sharing what God has done for me

Encouraging others who are struggling

Testifying to God's goodness despite difficulties

Not being silent about His faithfulness

Final Reflections

This teaching on understanding through Psalm 73 offers a profound and honest look at a common struggle. Asaph's journey from doubt to faith is one that many of us can relate to. We see the wicked prosper, and we wonder why we should remain faithful. We feel the pain of our own suffering while others seem to enjoy a life of ease.

Asaph's honesty is refreshing. He does not deny his feelings or pretend to have all the answers. He admits that he almost lost his footing, that he envied the proud, and that he was tempted to question the value of his faithfulness. This honesty is the first step toward genuine understanding.

The solution to his struggle was not found in intellectual arguments or philosophical reasoning. It was found in the presence of God—in the sanctuary. When Asaph entered into worship and prayer, he gained a perspective he could not find anywhere else. He saw the destiny of the wicked from God's viewpoint, and he realized that their prosperity was temporary and their destruction certain.

Asaph also recognized his own bitterness. He confessed, "I was so foolish and ignorant—I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you." This confession was essential. Before he could gain understanding, he had to admit that his own perspective was wrong. Bitterness and envy had clouded his judgment.

The conclusion of the psalm is one of renewed faith and commitment. Asaph declared that God held his right hand and guided him with counsel. He affirmed that God was the strength of his heart, even if his health failed and his spirit grew weak. He concluded, "How good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do."

This teaching calls me to bring my honest struggles to God, seek His presence for perspective, and trust in His justice. It reminds me to guard against bitterness, remember my identity in Christ, and make God my shelter. It challenges me to share my testimony with others, encouraging them with the wonderful things God has done. In doing so, I gain the understanding that only comes from the sanctuary.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that has sometimes envied the prosperity of the wicked. I confess that I have questioned Your justice when I have seen evil people succeed while the righteous suffer. Forgive me for my doubt and for the bitterness that has taken root in my heart.

Lord, I thank You for the honesty of Asaph, who brought his struggles before You and found perspective in Your presence. Help me to be honest about my own struggles and to seek Your face when I am troubled.

When I am tempted to envy the wicked, remind me of their destiny. Help me to see that their success is temporary and that they are on a slippery path to destruction. Give me eternal perspective, that I may not be shaken by present circumstances.

Guard me from bitterness, which clouds my judgment and leads me away from You. Help me to confess and release resentment, to pray for those who wrong me, and to trust in Your justice.

Remind me that I belong to You, that You hold my right hand, and that You guide me with Your counsel. Help me to make You my shelter and my strength, even when my health fails and my spirit grows weak.

I want to declare with Asaph, "How good it is to be near God!" Help me to find my satisfaction in Your presence and to share with others the wonderful things You have done.

Lord, I choose this day to trust in Your justice, to seek Your presence, and to share Your goodness with others. Let my life be a testimony to Your faithfulness.

In Jesus' name, who is the source of all understanding,

Amen. 

Comments