DON'T LET YESTERDAY CONTROL TOMORROW

DON'T LET YESTERDAY CONTROL TOMORROW

BREAKING THE CHAINS OF THE PAST

Key Scripture

📖 Philippians 3:13–14 (NKJV)
"Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

📖 Isaiah 43:18–19 (NKJV)
"Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."

Introduction

There is a prisoner that walks among us. They are not behind bars. They are not in chains. They are not in a cell. But they are in prison nonetheless. It is the prison of yesterday. It is the prison of the past. It is the prison of what was—the failures, the mistakes, the regrets, the wounds, the betrayals, the losses, the disappointments. And the most tragic part is that many of these prisoners do not even realize they are in bondage. They have become so accustomed to the darkness of yesterday that they cannot see the light of tomorrow. They have become so defined by their past that they cannot envision a future. They have become so controlled by what happened that they cannot walk in what God is about to do.

The enemy of your soul wants nothing more than to keep you imprisoned in yesterday. He wants you to replay your failures over and over in your mind. He wants you to rehearse your regrets until they become your identity. He wants you to dwell on your wounds until they become your prison. He wants you to be so focused on what was that you cannot see what is. He wants yesterday to control tomorrow. But God has a different plan. God has a different future. God has a different word for you. He says, "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing."

The Apostle Paul understood this. He had a past. He had persecuted the church. He had approved of the murder of Stephen. He had blasphemed the name of Christ. He had a lot to look back on. But he also had a lot to look forward to. And he made a choice. He chose to forget what was behind and press forward to what was ahead. He wrote, "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

The Greek word for "forgetting" is epilanthanomai, which means to forget, to neglect, or to put out of mind. It does not mean a literal erasure of memory. Paul did not forget that he had persecuted the church. He recounted it in his letters (1 Corinthians 15:9; 1 Timothy 1:13-15). But he did not let it define him. He did not let it control him. He did not let it keep him from his destiny. He made a deliberate choice to release the past. He let go of his failures. He let go of his regrets. He let go of his achievements. He let go of his wounds. He let go of everything that would hold him back.

This teaching is for everyone who has been imprisoned by yesterday. It is for the one who has been defined by their failures. It is for the one who has been haunted by their mistakes. It is for the one who has been wounded by their hurts. It is for the one who has been longing for what was. It is for the one who needs to break free from the chains of the past. It is time to stop letting yesterday control tomorrow.

Biblical Truth

Philippians 3:13–14 and Isaiah 43:18–19 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding how to break free from the control of yesterday. They reveal that we are to forget what lies behind and press forward to what lies ahead, and that God is doing a new thing that requires us to stop dwelling on the old.

Philippians 3:13–14 is Paul's personal testimony of pressing forward. He writes, "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Paul begins with humility: "I do not count myself to have apprehended." The Greek word for "apprehended" is katalambanō, which means to lay hold of, to grasp, or to attain. Paul is saying, "I have not yet arrived. I am not perfect. I am still on the journey." This is a crucial starting point. If we think we have arrived, we will stop growing. If we think we have it all figured out, we will stop learning. Paul knew that he was a work in progress.

Then he gives his focus: "But one thing I do." The Greek word for "one thing" is hen, which emphasizes singularity and focus. Paul was not distracted by many things. He had one thing on his mind. He had one goal. He had one priority. He was single-minded.

The one thing he does is twofold. First, "forgetting those things which are behind." The Greek word for "forgetting" is epilanthanomai, which means to forget, to neglect, or to put out of mind. It does not mean a literal erasure of memory. Paul did not forget that he had persecuted the church. But he did not let it define him. He did not let it control him. He did not let it keep him from his destiny. He made a deliberate choice to release the past. He let go of his failures. He let go of his regrets. He let go of his achievements. He let go of his wounds. He let go of everything that would hold him back.

Second, "reaching forward to those things which are ahead." The Greek word for "reaching forward" is epekteinomai, which means to stretch out, to extend, or to reach toward. It is the picture of a runner who is straining toward the finish line. The runner does not look back. The runner does not slow down. The runner does not get distracted. The runner is focused, determined, and intentional. Paul is saying, "I am stretching forward. I am pressing on. I am not looking back. I am looking ahead."

Then he gives his goal: "I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." The Greek word for "press" is diōkō, which means to pursue, to chase, or to run after. It is an intense, aggressive pursuit. The word for "goal" is skopos, which means a mark, a target, or a destination. The word for "prize" is brabeion, which means a reward, a prize, or a trophy. Paul is saying, "I am running toward the finish line. I am pursuing the prize. I am chasing the goal. I am not stopping until I reach it."

Isaiah 43:18–19 is God's word to a people who were stuck in the past. The Israelites had been taken captive to Babylon. They had lost their homeland, their temple, and their freedom. They were discouraged, confused, and hopeless. They looked back at their past—the glory of Solomon's temple, the victories of David, the miracles of the Exodus—and they mourned what they had lost. They were stuck in the past, unable to see what God was doing in the present or what He would do in the future.

But God spoke through Isaiah and said, "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old." The Hebrew word for "remember" is zakar, which means to call to mind, to recall, or to pay attention to. The word for "consider" is bin, which means to understand, to perceive, or to ponder. God is telling them, "Stop dwelling on the past. Stop replaying the old memories. Stop longing for what was. Do not let the past define your present or your future."

Then God gives the reason: "Behold, I will do a new thing." The Hebrew word for "new" is chadash, which means fresh, new, or recent. It is something that has not existed before. It is not a repeat of the old. It is not a slightly improved version of the past. It is brand new. And God says, "Now it shall spring forth." The Hebrew word for "spring forth" is tsamach, which means to sprout, to spring up, or to grow. It is the picture of a seed that has been planted in the ground, and suddenly, unexpectedly, it bursts forth with new life. The new thing is already happening. It is already beginning to sprout. It is already emerging.

Then God asks, "Shall you not know it?" The implication is that God is doing something, and we need to open our eyes to see it. We need to be attentive. We need to be aware. The new thing is happening, but we might miss it if we are too focused on the past. We might miss it if we are too comfortable in the old. We might miss it if we are not paying attention.

Then God describes the new thing: "I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." The Hebrew word for "wilderness" is midbar, which means a desert, a wasteland, or an uninhabited place. The word for "desert" is yeshimon, which means a desolate place, a barren land. God is saying, "I will make a way where there seems to be no way. I will bring life where there is only death. I will create a path where there is only trackless waste. I will cause rivers to flow where there is only dry ground." The new thing God is doing is not just a change of circumstances; it is a miraculous transformation. He is creating something out of nothing. He is bringing life out of death. He is making a way where there is no way.

The principle of releasing the past is woven throughout Scripture. Abraham left his homeland and his father's house to go to a land God would show him (Genesis 12:1). He did not let his past keep him from his destiny. Moses left Egypt and the palace of Pharaoh to identify with his people (Hebrews 11:24-26). He did not let his past define his future. Ruth left Moab and her gods to follow Naomi and the God of Israel (Ruth 1:16). She did not let her past disqualify her from God's blessing. Peter left his fishing nets to follow Jesus (Matthew 4:20). He did not let his past career keep him from his calling. Matthew left his tax booth to become a disciple (Matthew 9:9). He did not let his past profession keep him from his purpose. Paul left his life as a Pharisee to become an apostle to the Gentiles (Philippians 3:7-8). He did not let his past achievements or his past failures keep him from his destiny. The pattern is clear: the people of God release the past. They let go of yesterday. They press forward to tomorrow.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus did not live in the past. He did not dwell on His rejection in Nazareth. He did not dwell on the unbelief of the crowds. He did not dwell on the betrayal of Judas. He did not dwell on the denial of Peter. He pressed forward. He set His face like a flint toward Jerusalem. He endured the cross. He despised the shame. He sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2). He learned from His suffering, but He did not live in it. And because He did, He fulfilled His purpose and secured our salvation.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we live in yesterday. We dwell on our failures. We replay our mistakes. We rehearse our hurts. We relive our traumas. We are defined by what happened to us or what we did. We cannot move forward because we are constantly looking backward. We are stuck in a prison of our own making. We have learned nothing from the past because we are too busy living in it.

Second, we believe that yesterday defines tomorrow. We think that because of what happened, our future is ruined. We think that because of our failures, we are disqualified. We think that because of our wounds, we are broken beyond repair. But this is a lie from the enemy. The blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7). His grace is sufficient for every failure (2 Corinthians 12:9). His mercy is new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23). We can move on. We can be healed. We can be restored. We can be made new.

Third, we confuse learning with living. We think that because we have learned from the past, we must keep the past alive. We think that because we have been wounded, we must keep the wound open. We think that because we have failed, we must keep punishing ourselves. But this is not learning; it is living in the past. Learning from the past means extracting the lesson and moving on. Living in the past means being stuck in the pain. We must learn from it, but we must not live in it.

Fourth, we let the past define our identity. We say, "I am a victim. I am a failure. I am broken. I am worthless." But this is not who you are. You are a child of God (John 1:12). You are redeemed (Ephesians 1:7). You are forgiven (Ephesians 4:32). You are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17). You are loved (Jeremiah 31:3). Your past does not define you. Your identity is in Christ.

Fifth, we allow the past to steal our present. We spend so much time regretting yesterday that we miss the opportunities of today. We spend so much time mourning what we have lost that we neglect what we still have. We spend so much time replaying old hurts that we miss new joys. The past is gone. We cannot change it. We cannot recover it. We must not let it steal our present.

Sixth, we become nostalgic for the "good old days" . We romanticize the past. We remember the good times and forget the bad. We long for what was instead of looking forward to what will be. But God says, "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing." The best days are not behind us. They are ahead of us. God is doing something new. We must look forward, not backward.

Seventh, we believe that the past is the final chapter. We think that because something happened, the story is over. We think that because we failed, we are finished. We think that because we were hurt, we are done. But the past is not the final chapter. It is just a chapter. The story is still being written. God is still at work. He is not finished with you yet. He who began a good work in you will complete it (Philippians 1:6).

God's Perspective

God views your past as forgiven. When you confess your sins, He is faithful and just to forgive you and cleanse you from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). He casts your sins into the depths of the sea (Micah 7:19). He removes them as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12). He remembers them no more (Hebrews 8:12). Your past is under the blood. It is gone. It is forgiven. You can let it go.

God's perspective is that He is doing a new thing. He is not stuck in the past. He is not confined to what He did before. He is always creating. He is always redeeming. He is always transforming. He is making a road in the wilderness. He is causing rivers to flow in the desert. He is bringing life out of death. He is bringing beauty out of ashes. He is doing something new in your life right now. Open your eyes to see it.

God sees your failures as opportunities for grace. He does not hold your failures against you. He does not reject you because of your mistakes. He extends grace. He offers mercy. He provides forgiveness. He takes your failures and weaves them into a tapestry of grace. He uses your weaknesses to display His strength. He uses your brokenness to reveal His healing. He uses your mess to create a message.

God's perspective is that He has a future for you. He has plans for you—plans of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11). His plans are good. His purposes are good. His will for you is good. The future He has for you is bright. It is hopeful. It is full of purpose. Do not let the past rob you of the future. Do not let yesterday define tomorrow.

God sees your story as not yet finished. He is still writing. He is still working. He is still redeeming. He is still restoring. He is still preparing. The best is yet to come. The final chapter has not been written. There is still hope. There is still purpose. There is still destiny. Do not give up. Do not lose heart. Do not live in the past. Press forward. Reach ahead. The prize awaits.

God's perspective is that you are a new creation. If you are in Christ, you are a new creation. Old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new (2 Corinthians 5:17). Your past does not define you. Your old identity is gone. Your old nature is gone. Your old patterns are gone. You are new. You are fresh. You are alive. You are a child of God. You are a co-heir with Christ. You are a saint. You are beloved. You are chosen. You are called. You are His.

Practical Application

Confess and Receive Forgiveness: If there is sin in your past that you have not confessed, confess it now. If you have confessed it, receive God's forgiveness. Do not keep punishing yourself for something God has already forgiven. Do not keep bringing up what God has already buried. Accept His grace. Accept His mercy. Accept His cleansing. Let it go.

Forgive Those Who Hurt You: Unforgiveness is a chain that binds you to the past. It keeps the wound open. It keeps the pain alive. Forgive those who have hurt you. Release them to God. Do not let them keep you imprisoned in the past. Forgiveness is not excusing what they did. It is releasing yourself from the burden of bitterness.

Renew Your Mind: Your past has shaped your thinking. It has planted lies in your mind. Lies about who you are, what you deserve, and what you can become. Renew your mind with the Word of God. Replace the lies with truth. Declare what God says about you. You are loved. You are forgiven. You are redeemed. You are new. You are chosen. You are called. You are His.

Focus on the Present: Do not let the past steal your present. Focus on what God is doing right now. Focus on the opportunities He has placed before you today. Focus on the people He has placed in your life right now. Focus on the purpose He has for you today. Live in the present. Enjoy the present. Redeem the present.

Look Forward to the Future: God has a future for you. It is a good future. It is a hopeful future. It is a purposeful future. Look forward to it. Anticipate it. Prepare for it. Do not let the past rob you of the future. The best is yet to come. The prize awaits. The finish line is ahead. Press toward it.

Help Others Move On: Once you have learned to let go of the past, help others do the same. Share your story. Share your healing. Share your freedom. Encourage those who are stuck in their past. Show them the way forward. Be a light in their darkness. Be a guide in their confusion. Help them learn from their past without living in it.

Press Toward the Goal: Make it your aim to press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Keep your focus on the finish line. Keep running your race with endurance. Do not look back. Do not slow down. Do not get distracted. Press forward. The prize awaits.

Ask Yourself

Am I living in yesterday, or am I learning from it?

What is the lesson God wants me to learn from my past?

Have I truly confessed my past sins and received God's forgiveness?

Have I forgiven those who have hurt me?

Am I allowing my past to define my identity?

Am I focused on the present and the future, or am I stuck in the past?

Do I believe that God is doing a new thing in my life?

Am I letting yesterday control tomorrow?

Reflection

Don't let yesterday control tomorrow. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. Yesterday is gone. It cannot be changed. It cannot be recovered. It cannot be relived. But it can be released. It can be forgiven. It can be redeemed. The question is not what happened yesterday. The question is what you will do today. Will you let yesterday define you? Will you let yesterday control you? Will you let yesterday imprison you? Or will you release it? Will you forgive it? Will you let it go?

Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. God is doing a new thing. He is making a road in the wilderness. He is causing rivers to flow in the desert. He is bringing life out of death. He is bringing beauty out of ashes. He is doing something new in your life right now. Open your eyes to see it. Open your heart to receive it. Open your hands to embrace it.

Forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. This is the confession. This is the pursuit. This is the path. Forget what lies behind. Reach forward to what lies ahead. Press toward the goal. Pursue the prize. Leave the past behind. Embrace the future. Run your race. Finish your course. Keep the faith. And receive the crown.

So don't let yesterday control tomorrow. Confess and receive forgiveness. Forgive those who hurt you. Renew your mind. Focus on the present. Look forward to the future. Help others move on. Press toward the goal. And you will discover that when you release the past, when you let go of yesterday, when you press forward to what God has ahead, you will walk in freedom. You will walk in joy. You will walk in purpose. You will fulfill the destiny God has for you. Don't let yesterday control tomorrow. Let God control tomorrow. He is doing a new thing. Trust Him.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have been living in yesterday. I have been dwelling on my failures. I have been haunted by my mistakes. I have been wounded by my hurts. I have been longing for what was. I have been stuck in a prison of my own making. Forgive me. Today, I choose to let go of the past. I choose to receive Your forgiveness. I choose to forgive those who have hurt me. I choose to renew my mind with Your truth. I choose to focus on the present and look forward to the future. I choose to press toward the goal. I believe that You are doing a new thing in my life. I believe that You are making a road in my wilderness and rivers in my desert. I believe that You have a future and a hope for me. Help me to let go of the past. Help me to embrace the new thing You are doing. Help me to press forward toward the prize. I will not let yesterday control tomorrow. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I will not let yesterday control tomorrow. I release the past. I forgive those who have hurt me. I receive God's forgiveness. I am a new creation in Christ. Old things have passed away. All things have become new. I do not remember the former things. I do not consider the things of old. Behold, God is doing a new thing in my life. It is springing forth right now. I see it. I receive it. I embrace it. I forget those things which are behind. I reach forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. My past is gone. My future is bright. My present is a gift. I will live in it. I will learn from the past. I will release the past. I will press forward. Yesterday will not control tomorrow. God controls tomorrow. And He is doing a new thing. I will not let yesterday control tomorrow. I will not let yesterday control tomorrow. I will not let yesterday control tomorrow.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Isaiah 43:18–19 (NKJV)
"Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."

Comments