TRUST HIM EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

TRUST HIM EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

THE WISDOM OF SURRENDER

Key Scripture

📖 Isaiah 55:8–9 (NKJV)
"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the Lord. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'"

📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

Introduction

There is a moment in every believer's journey when God does something that makes no sense. It may be a prayer that goes unanswered. It may be a door that closes when you were certain it would open. It may be a loss that feels senseless. It may be a delay that seems pointless. It may be a path that leads through suffering when you expected blessing. It may be a season of silence when you desperately needed to hear from Him. And in that moment, you are faced with a choice. You can demand to understand. You can shake your fist at heaven. You can become bitter, angry, and disillusioned. Or you can trust. You can trust Him even when you don't understand. You can trust Him even when His ways seem confusing, His timing seems delayed, and His decisions seem inexplicable. You can trust Him even when you cannot trace His hand.

The prophet Isaiah declared, "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the Lord. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'" The Hebrew word for "thoughts" is machashabah, which means plans, purposes, or designs. The word for "ways" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner. God's plans are not our plans. His purposes are not our purposes. His ways are not our ways. The distance between His wisdom and ours is as vast as the distance between the heavens and the earth. It is immeasurable. It is incomprehensible. And this is not a reason for frustration; it is a reason for trust. We can trust Him precisely because He knows more than we do.

Solomon echoed this truth in Proverbs 3:5–6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. The word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. The word for "understanding" is binah, which means insight, discernment, or comprehension. Solomon is telling us, "Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not rely on your own insight. Do not rest on your own comprehension. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. And He will direct your paths."

This teaching is for everyone who has ever struggled to understand what God is doing. It is for the one who has been confused by His ways. It is for the one who has questioned His wisdom. It is for the one who has demanded answers that God has not given. It is for the one who needs to learn to trust even when they do not understand. It is time to embrace the mystery of God. It is time to trust Him even when you don't understand.

Biblical Truth

Isaiah 55:8–9 and Proverbs 3:5–6 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the relationship between trust and understanding. They reveal that God's ways are infinitely higher than ours, and that we are called to trust Him rather than lean on our own understanding.

Isaiah 55:8–9 is set in the context of God's invitation to the thirsty and the hungry: "Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters" (Isaiah 55:1). God is calling His people to return to Him, to seek Him while He may be found. He promises forgiveness and restoration. But He also reminds them that His ways are not their ways. The Hebrew word for "thoughts" is machashabah, which means plans, purposes, or designs. The word for "ways" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner. God does not operate the way we do. His logic is not our logic. His methods are not our methods. His timing is not our timing.

The comparison is cosmic: "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." The distance between the heavens and the earth is immeasurable. It is infinite. That is the distance between God's wisdom and ours. This is not a reason for despair; it is a reason for worship. If God's ways were the same as ours, He would not be God. If we could fully comprehend Him, He would be too small. His transcendence is what makes Him worthy of our trust. We can trust Him precisely because He knows more than we do.

The context of Isaiah 55 is grace. God is inviting His people to receive His mercy. He says, "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon" (Isaiah 55:7). Then He explains why His forgiveness is so complete, so full, and so free: because His thoughts and ways are higher than ours. We might be tempted to limit God's forgiveness. We might think, "Surely God cannot forgive me for that." But God's forgiveness is higher than our forgiveness. His grace is greater than our guilt. His mercy is deeper than our sin. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts.

Proverbs 3:5–6 is a prescription for peace in the midst of uncertainty. The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. The command is to trust with "all your heart." The heart, in Hebrew thought, is not just the seat of emotion but the centre of the whole person—mind, will, and emotions. Trusting with all your heart means holding nothing back. It means surrendering every fear, every doubt, every question, and every anxiety to God.

The phrase "lean not on your own understanding" is the negative counterpart to trust. The Hebrew word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. The word for "understanding" is binah, which means insight, discernment, or comprehension. When we are facing uncertainty, we naturally lean on our own understanding. We analyse, we rationalize, we try to figure out the "why" and the "how." But Solomon warns that this is a dangerous posture. Human understanding is limited, fallen, and easily deceived. Our understanding, especially in moments of confusion, is not a reliable foundation.

The positive action is to "acknowledge" God in all your ways. The Hebrew word is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You."

The promise is that God "shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide. When we trust, refuse to lean on our own understanding, and acknowledge Him, God takes the responsibility for our direction. He straightens the crooked paths. He opens doors that no man can shut and shuts doors that no man can open. He makes a way where there seems to be no way.

The principle of trusting God without understanding is woven throughout Scripture. Abraham was told to sacrifice Isaac—a command that made no sense, that contradicted the promise, that seemed cruel and irrational. But Abraham trusted God. He obeyed. He raised the knife. And God provided a ram. Abraham did not understand, but he trusted. And it was accounted to him as righteousness.

Job lost everything—his children, his wealth, his health. He did not understand why. He cried out to God. He questioned. He lamented. But he did not curse God. He said, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" (Job 13:15). He did not understand, but he trusted. And in the end, God restored him and blessed him more than before.

Mary was told she would conceive a child by the Holy Spirit. It made no sense. It was biologically impossible. It was socially scandalous. But she said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38). She did not understand, but she trusted. And she became the mother of the Savior.

Jesus, in the garden of Gethsemane, faced the cross. He did not want to drink the cup of suffering. He prayed, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). He did not understand the full mystery of the atonement, but He trusted the Father. He submitted. He obeyed. And through His obedience, He secured our salvation.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus trusted the Father completely. He did not demand to understand the plan. He did not question the Father's wisdom. He did not lean on His own understanding. He trusted. He surrendered. He obeyed. And because He trusted, He fulfilled the purpose of God.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we demand to understand everything. We want God to explain Himself. We want Him to justify His decisions. We want Him to make sense to us. We treat God as if He were accountable to our logic, as if He needed our approval. But God is not accountable to us. He is not obligated to explain Himself. He is God. His ways are higher than our ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. We must learn to trust Him even when we do not understand.

Second, we judge God's wisdom by human standards. We evaluate His decisions based on our limited perspective. We say, "If I were God, I would do it differently. I would have answered that prayer. I would have prevented that tragedy. I would have chosen a different path." But we are not God. We do not see the end from the beginning. We do not know all the factors. We do not understand all the implications. Our wisdom is finite. His is infinite. We must not judge His wisdom by our standards.

Third, we become angry at God when His ways are not our ways. We feel betrayed. We feel abandoned. We feel that God has let us down. We shake our fists at heaven and demand answers. But this is arrogance. It is the creature demanding answers from the Creator. It is the clay questioning the potter. Isaiah 45:9 says, "Woe to him who strives with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth! Shall the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?'" We must humble ourselves before God. We must submit to His wisdom. We must trust that He knows what He is doing.

Fourth, we lean on our own understanding. We rely on our own wisdom, our own reasoning, our own analysis. We make decisions based on what we can see, what we can calculate, and what we can control. But our understanding is limited. Our perspective is finite. Our vision is blurry. We cannot see the whole picture. Only God can. When we lean on our own understanding, we cut ourselves off from His wisdom. We stumble in the dark when we could be walking in the light.

Fifth, we try to figure everything out before we obey. We say, "I will trust God when I understand what He is doing." But this is not faith. Faith is trusting God when we do not understand. Faith is obeying God when we cannot see the way. Faith is stepping out into the unknown, trusting that God is already there. If we wait until we understand everything, we will never obey. We will never step out. We will never experience the fullness of God's blessings.

Sixth, we give up when we do not understand. We become discouraged. We become disillusioned. We walk away from God. We say, "If this is how God treats His children, I want nothing to do with Him." But this is a tragic mistake. The fact that we do not understand does not mean that God is not good. It does not mean that He is not faithful. It does not mean that He has abandoned us. It means that His ways are higher than our ways. It means that He is God and we are not. It means that we must trust Him even when we do not understand.

Seventh, we forget that God's ways are always for our good. Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." The "good" that God is working toward is not necessarily our comfort, our prosperity, or our happiness. The "good" is conformity to the image of Christ (Romans 8:29). God's ways are always for our good, even when they are painful. He is shaping us, refining us, and preparing us for something greater.

God's Perspective

God views your understanding as limited and finite. He knows that you cannot see the whole picture. He knows that you do not know the end from the beginning. He knows that your perspective is flawed and your vision is blurry. He does not expect you to understand everything. He does not demand that you comprehend all His ways. He simply asks you to trust Him. He asks you to trust His heart even when you cannot see His hand.

God's perspective is that His ways are higher than yours. He is not a bigger version of you. He is not a smarter version of you. He is entirely other. His knowledge is complete. His understanding is perfect. His insight is flawless. He sees all things, knows all things, and understands all things. There is no gap in His knowledge. There is no flaw in His logic. There is no error in His judgment. He is God, and He is infinitely wise.

God sees your questions as an opportunity for humility. When you do not understand, you have a choice. You can demand answers and become bitter. Or you can humble yourself and trust. God wants you to humble yourself. He wants you to acknowledge that His wisdom is beyond yours. He wants you to submit to His sovereign will. He wants you to say, with Job, "The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord" (Job 1:21). And with Job, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" (Job 13:15).

God's perspective is that He is not hiding from you; He is inviting you to trust Him. He is not playing a cosmic game of "Guess My Will." He is not trying to confuse you. He is not withholding answers to torment you. He is inviting you into a deeper relationship with Him. He wants you to know Him, not just know about Him. He wants you to trust Him, not just understand Him. He wants you to walk with Him by faith, not by sight.

God sees your inability to understand as an opportunity for awe. When you cannot comprehend God's ways, you have two options. You can become frustrated, or you can be filled with awe. The psalmist wrote, "Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; who is so great a God as our God?" (Psalm 77:13). The prophet Nahum wrote, "The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knows those who trust in Him" (Nahum 1:7). When we cannot understand, we can worship. When we cannot comprehend, we can adore. When we cannot see, we can trust.

God's perspective is that His wisdom is your safe place. You do not have to figure everything out. You do not have to understand every decision. You do not have to comprehend every plan. You are safe because you are in His hands. You are secure because His wisdom is infinite. You are protected because His understanding is perfect. You can rest in the knowledge that the One who knows everything is your Father, and He loves you.

Practical Application

Acknowledge Your Limitations: Admit that you do not understand everything. Admit that your perspective is limited. Admit that your wisdom is finite. Humble yourself before God. Say, "Lord, I do not understand, but I trust You. Your ways are higher than my ways. Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts."

Choose to Trust: Trust is a choice. It is not a feeling. It is a decision. Make the decision to trust God, even when you do not understand. Say, "I choose to trust You, Lord. I choose to believe that You are good. I choose to believe that You are faithful. I choose to believe that Your ways are higher than my ways."

Stop Leaning on Your Own Understanding: Stop trying to figure everything out. Stop analyzing. Stop rationalizing. Stop demanding answers. Release your need to understand. Say, "Lord, I give up my right to understand everything. I release my demand for answers. I lay down my need to control. I trust You."

Acknowledge God in All Your Ways: Bring God into every decision, every thought, and every step. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Say, "Lord, I acknowledge You in this situation. I acknowledge You in this decision. I acknowledge You in this trial. I trust You to direct my paths."

Worship in the Mystery: When you cannot understand, worship. When you are confused, praise. When you do not have answers, bow. Let worship be your response to the incomprehensible wisdom of God. Sing hymns. Read the Psalms. Lift your hands. Declare His goodness. Worship is the antidote to confusion. It shifts your focus from your unanswered questions to His unchanging character.

Anchor Your Soul in God's Character: When God's ways are confusing, anchor your soul in His character. He is good. He is loving. He is faithful. He is wise. He is sovereign. He is just. He is merciful. He is holy. He is true. These are not just attributes; they are your anchor. When everything else is shifting, His character is unshakable.

Remember His Past Faithfulness: When you are confused about His present ways, remember His past faithfulness. Think about the times He has come through for you in the past. Think about the prayers He has answered. Think about the provisions He has given. Think about the times He has rescued you. If He was faithful then, He will be faithful now.

Ask Yourself

Am I demanding to understand everything God is doing?

Am I judging God's wisdom by my limited perspective?

Have I become angry at God when His ways are not my ways?

Am I leaning on my own understanding, or am I trusting God?

Am I waiting until I understand before I obey?

Have I given up when I did not understand?

Do I believe that God's ways are always for my good?

Am I trusting God even when I do not understand?

Reflection

Trust Him even when you don't understand. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. You will not always understand what God is doing. You will not always comprehend His ways. You will not always see the logic in His decisions. You will not always trace His hand. But you can trust His heart. You can trust His character. You can trust His goodness. You can trust His love. You can trust Him even when you do not understand.

His thoughts are not your thoughts. His ways are not your ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are His ways higher than your ways, and His thoughts than your thoughts. You may not understand what He is doing. You may not see the logic. You may not comprehend the plan. But His ways are higher. His wisdom is greater. His vision is clearer. Trust Him. He knows what He is doing. He is in control.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to rest. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.

So do not demand to understand. Do not become angry. Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not give up. Trust Him. Trust Him with all your heart. Trust Him even when you do not understand. And you will discover that His ways are always better than your ways. His thoughts are always higher than your thoughts. His plans are always greater than your plans. Trust Him. He is worthy of your trust.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have demanded to understand. I have questioned Your wisdom. I have judged Your decisions. I have been angry when Your ways were not my ways. I have leaned on my own understanding. Forgive me for my arrogance. Forgive me for my unbelief. Forgive me for my pride. Today, I humble myself before You. I acknowledge that Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts and Your ways are higher than my ways. I accept that I will not understand everything in this life. I embrace the mystery. I trust Your heart, even when I cannot see Your hand. I choose to trust You with all my heart. I choose to lean not on my own understanding. I choose to acknowledge You in all my ways. Direct my paths. Lead me on the right path. Guide me to the right destination. I trust You. I trust Your wisdom. I trust Your timing. I trust Your plan. Help me to trust You even when I do not understand. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I will trust God even when I do not understand. His thoughts are not my thoughts. His ways are not my ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are His ways higher than my ways, and His thoughts than my thoughts. I will not demand to understand. I will not question His wisdom. I will not judge His decisions. I will not be angry when His ways are not my ways. I will not lean on my own understanding. I will trust in the Lord with all my heart. I will acknowledge Him in all my ways. And He will direct my paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will lead me on the right path. He will guide me to the right destination. I trust His heart even when I cannot see His hand. I trust His character even when I do not understand His ways. I trust His goodness even when I do not see His goodness. I trust Him. I trust Him. I trust Him. Even when I do not understand, I will trust Him.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

A Final Word

Trust Him even when you don't understand. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. You will not always understand what God is doing. You will not always comprehend His ways. You will not always see the logic in His decisions. You will not always trace His hand. But you can trust His heart. You can trust His character. You can trust His goodness. You can trust His love. You can trust Him even when you do not understand.

His thoughts are not your thoughts. His ways are not your ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are His ways higher than your ways, and His thoughts than your thoughts. You may not understand what He is doing. You may not see the logic. You may not comprehend the plan. But His ways are higher. His wisdom is greater. His vision is clearer. Trust Him. He knows what He is doing. He is in control.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to rest. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.

So do not demand to understand. Do not become angry. Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not give up. Trust Him. Trust Him with all your heart. Trust Him even when you do not understand. And you will discover that His ways are always better than your ways. His thoughts are always higher than your thoughts. His plans are always greater than your plans. Trust Him. He is worthy of your trust.

Comments