The Choice of Knowledge
What Does It Mean?
This teaching establishes a foundational principle about the nature of knowledge and the source of true understanding. The instruction begins with Proverbs 15:14, which contrasts the wise person—who is hungry for knowledge—with the fool—who feeds on trash. This is not merely about intellectual curiosity but about the kind of information we consume and the effect it has on our character and decisions.
The teaching emphasizes that knowledge is power, but it can be used for either good or evil. The key is where we get our knowledge and what we trust as reliable information. Every day, we are called upon to make decisions, and our ability to discern between good and evil is essential.
The instruction draws a clear parallel between physical feeding and mental/spiritual feeding. We become like that on which we feed. If we spend our time on trivial or corrupting content, that will shape our cravings and our character. The fool is fully satisfied with his own way of living and his view of the world; he sees no need for godly information and is self-sufficient in his ignorance. He feeds on trash, which makes him more foolish and empty of any value system.
In contrast, the person of understanding is always ready to learn, always hungry for more of God's information. One of the key goals in life is the ability to discern both good and evil, as described in Hebrews 5:14. This maturity comes through training and practice, and the only way to truly tell the difference is by feeding on God's Word.
The teaching is a call to examine our diet—not just what we eat physically, but what we consume mentally and spiritually. The wise person is intentional about feeding on God's truth, while the fool is content with anything that comes along.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the emphasis on the mimetic nature of knowledge—we become what we consume. This is not just about information but about identity. The fool doesn't just choose wrong information; the wrong information makes him foolish. The wise person doesn't just gather facts; the facts make them wise. Our information diet shapes who we are at the deepest level.
Another surprising insight is the connection between discernment and maturity. Discernment is not a gift given automatically; it is a skill that comes "through training" (Hebrews 5:14). This means discernment must be practiced and developed. It is not a one-time acquisition but a lifelong discipline. The implication is that we cannot simply pray for discernment without also engaging in the hard work of studying Scripture, testing ideas, and learning from experience.
The teaching also reveals that the fool is not someone who lacks intelligence but someone who is satisfied with their own ignorance. The fool "sees no further need to explore healthy or godly information." This is a volitional state, not a cognitive deficit. The fool is self-sufficient and closed-minded, unwilling to learn because he already considers himself sufficient. This challenges me to examine whether I have areas where I've stopped learning or become closed to new understanding.
Perhaps most challenging is the assertion that the only way to tell the difference between good and evil is to feed on the Word of God. This is not to say that non-believers cannot have moral insight, but that the ultimate standard and the clearest discernment come from Scripture. Without God's Word, our judgment is unreliable, subject to the whims of culture and personal preference.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Examine My Information Diet
The teaching asks: "Are we feeding on trash and foolishness?" This is a direct question to me. I need to evaluate what I watch, read, listen to, and spend time on. Am I consuming content that builds my character, or content that rots my mind?
I can apply this by:
Taking an honest inventory of my media consumption
Asking whether my daily choices are drawing me closer to God or pulling me away
Setting boundaries on mindless entertainment
Deliberately choosing quality, godly content
Cultivate Hunger for God's Knowledge
The wise person is always hungry for knowledge. I need to cultivate this appetite, making Scripture and godly teaching a priority. This means I should not be satisfied with surface-level engagement but should dig deeper.
I can do this by:
Setting a consistent time for Bible reading and study
Listening to solid teaching and sermons
Being curious about God's truth and asking questions
Not neglecting my spiritual growth
Develop Discernment Through Training
Discernment is not automatic but comes through training. I need to actively practice discerning good and evil, testing everything against Scripture and learning from experience.
I can apply this by:
Regularly examining my decisions and their outcomes
Asking for wisdom from mature believers
Not making snap judgments but carefully evaluating
Learning from past mistakes
Guard Against Self-Satisfaction
The fool is satisfied with his own way of living and sees no need to learn. I need to guard against this attitude, remaining humble and teachable. I should never think I have arrived or have nothing more to learn.
I can do this by:
Seeking feedback from others
Admitting when I don't know something
Not being defensive about my opinions
Continually asking God to show me where I need to grow
Recognize the Consequences of Trash
Feeding on trash makes us more foolish and empty of value systems. I need to recognize that what I consume has real effects on my character, decisions, and life direction.
I can apply this by:
Paying attention to how certain content makes me feel or think
Not minimizing the impact of "small" or "harmless" indulgences
Choosing content that aligns with Philippians 4:8 (true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable)
Protecting my mind from corruption
Pursue Maturity in Christ
The goal is maturity, which includes the ability to discern good and evil. I should strive for this, not as a trophy but as a practical necessity for living a life pleasing to God.
I can do this by:
Being intentional about growing in spiritual maturity
Engaging in practices that train my discernment (prayer, study, obedience)
Seeking to apply Scripture to every area of life
Not being content with spiritual infancy
Final Reflections
This teaching on understanding confronts me with a fundamental choice: what kind of knowledge will I feed on? The wise person hungers for godly knowledge, while the fool is content with trash. This choice is not passive but active; I decide what enters my mind and shapes my heart.
The concept of becoming like what we consume is powerful. If I spend my time on trivial, corrupting, or mindless content, I will become shallow and foolish. If I invest in God's Word and truth, I will grow in wisdom and discernment. My information diet determines my character.
The call to discernment is not just intellectual but practical. I am called to distinguish good from evil in my daily decisions. This is not automatic; it requires training and practice. I must be intentional about developing this skill through study, prayer, and obedience.
The warning against self-satisfaction is crucial. The fool thinks he has enough knowledge and does not need to learn. Pride closes the door to wisdom. Humility opens it. I must remain teachable, always hungry for more of God's truth.
Ultimately, the only reliable source of discernment is God's Word. Without it, I am adrift in a sea of opinions and relative values. With it, I have a solid foundation for recognizing right from wrong. This is not about legalism but about living in the light of God's truth.
The teaching invites me to examine my life honestly, to repent of feeding on trash, and to commit to a diet of God's wisdom. It is a call to hunger, to growth, and to maturity. In responding, I find the understanding that leads to life.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that desires wisdom and understanding. I confess that I have often fed on trash—mindless entertainment, unedifying content, and foolish ideas. Forgive me for the times I have been content with my own ignorance and have not hungered for Your truth.
Lord, I thank You that You offer wisdom to all who seek it. Help me to cultivate a hunger for Your knowledge that surpasses any other appetite. Give me a deep desire for Your Word and a thirst for Your truth.
Teach me to discern between good and evil, to recognize what is wise and what is foolish. Train my senses through practice in righteousness. Help me to be mature, not infantile in my thinking.
Guard me from self-satisfaction. Keep me humble and teachable. Let me never think I have arrived or have no more need to learn. Open my eyes to see where I need to grow.
I pray for those who are feeding on trash without realizing its effect. Open their eyes to see the damage they are doing to themselves. Draw them to Your truth and give them a hunger for righteousness.
Lord, I choose this day to feed on Your Word. I commit to making Scripture my daily bread, my source of wisdom, and my guide for living. Let my life be transformed by the knowledge of You.
In Jesus' name, who is the Word made flesh,
Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment