The Awakening Conscience

The Awakening Conscience

What Does It Mean?

This teaching examines the powerful example of Joseph's brothers and how their conscience eventually awakened after years of suppression. The instruction begins by establishing the role of the conscience: it controls our reaction to thoughts, imaginations, words, and actions. It is like a baseball umpire, located in the "spiritual heart," letting us know when we have violated our inner moral code and prompting us to make corrections. When we respond, peace returns to our mind. The conscience also warns us when we have a problem.

The teaching then presents the story of Joseph's brothers. When they saw Joseph coming, they recognized him in the distance and made plans to kill him. They called him "the dreamer" and plotted to throw him into a cistern. Reuben intervened, planning to rescue Joseph later. The brothers stripped Joseph of his beautiful robe and threw him into the empty cistern. The teaching notes: "They had no conscience." They wanted to get rid of "the dreamer."

But things changed later. Years afterward, when the brothers were in Egypt facing a crisis, their conscience finally kicked in. Speaking among themselves, they said, "Clearly we are being punished because of what we did to Joseph long ago. We saw his anguish when he pleaded for his life, but we wouldn't listen. That's why we're in this trouble." Reuben reminded them, "Didn't I tell you not to sin against the boy? But you wouldn't listen. And now we have to answer for his blood!"

The teaching reveals that the brothers had suppressed their conscience for years, but it had not died. When circumstances brought their sin to mind, their conscience awakened, and they experienced the guilt and remorse they had avoided for so long.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the delayed awakening of the brothers' conscience. They had committed a terrible sin—selling their brother into slavery—and seemed to have no remorse for years. But when they faced a crisis in Egypt, their conscience finally kicked in. The guilt had been buried but not eradicated. This shows that a conscience can be suppressed, but it cannot be permanently silenced.

Another surprising insight is the role of circumstances in awakening the conscience. The brothers did not suddenly remember their sin out of nowhere. They were in a crisis—accused of being spies, imprisoned, and facing the loss of Benjamin. It was in the midst of their distress that they connected their current suffering to their past sin. Sometimes God uses trials to awaken our conscience and bring us to repentance.

The teaching also reveals that the brothers acknowledged their guilt together. They spoke among themselves, confessing that they were being punished. This collective acknowledgment is significant. Sin often isolates us, but confession can bring us together and lead to healing.

Perhaps most challenging is the reminder that our sin will eventually catch up with us. The brothers thought they had gotten away with their sin. They had moved on with their lives. But their sin found them out. What is done in secret will eventually be brought to light.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Examine My Conscience

The brothers suppressed their conscience for years. I need to examine my conscience and see if there are areas of sin I have buried and ignored.

I can apply this by:

Asking God to search my heart

Not burying guilt but bringing it to the surface

Being honest about my past sins

Confessing what I have hidden

Recognize the Warning Signs

The conscience is like an umpire, warning us when we have a problem. I need to pay attention to the warning signs and not ignore them.

I can do this by:

Listening to feelings of guilt and shame

Not rationalizing or excusing sin

Responding to conviction promptly

Making corrections when my conscience alerts me

Understand That Sin Will Be Found Out

The brothers thought they had gotten away with their sin, but it caught up with them. I need to understand that what is done in secret will eventually be brought to light.

I can apply this by:

Not thinking I can hide my sin from God

Confessing sin before it catches up with me

Living with integrity

Being honest in all my dealings

Let Trials Awaken My Conscience

God can use trials to awaken my conscience and bring me to repentance. I need to be open to what God is showing me in difficult times.

I can do this by:

Asking what God is teaching me through trials

Not being defensive in times of crisis

Connecting my suffering to areas of unconfessed sin

Using trials as opportunities for growth

Confess Sin Collectively

The brothers confessed their sin to one another. I need to confess my sins to God and, where appropriate, to those I have wronged.

I can apply this by:

Not hiding my sin from others

Seeking accountability

Confessing to those I have hurt

Experiencing the healing that comes from confession

Embrace Repentance

When the conscience awakens, the solution is repentance. I need to respond to guilt with repentance, not with rationalization or denial.

I can do this by:

Turning away from sin

Seeking forgiveness from God and others

Making amends where possible

Changing my behavior

Be Grateful for a Functioning Conscience

A functioning conscience is a gift from God. I should be grateful when my conscience alerts me to sin, because it is leading me toward repentance and restoration.

I can do this by:

Thanking God for convicting me

Not resenting guilt but embracing it as a guide

Recognizing that guilt is a sign of spiritual life

Using it as a catalyst for change

Final Reflections

This teaching on the awakening conscience presents a powerful and sobering example of how sin can be suppressed but not eradicated. Joseph's brothers committed a terrible sin and seemed to have no remorse for years. They had moved on with their lives, but their sin was still buried in their hearts.

The awakening of their conscience came when they were in a crisis. Accused of being spies, imprisoned, and facing the loss of Benjamin, they suddenly connected their current suffering to their past sin. The guilt they had buried for years came flooding back.

This story reveals several important truths. First, a conscience can be suppressed, but it cannot be permanently silenced. The guilt of sin will eventually resurface. Second, God can use trials to awaken our conscience and bring us to repentance. Third, confession is essential for healing. The brothers confessed their sin to one another, and their collective acknowledgment was a step toward restoration.

The teaching challenges me to examine my own conscience. Are there areas of sin I have buried? Have I suppressed guilt and moved on without repentance? If so, I need to bring those sins to light, confess them, and receive forgiveness.

Ultimately, a functioning conscience is a gift from God. It is His warning system, designed to protect me from sin and lead me to repentance. When my conscience alerts me, I should respond with gratitude, confession, and change.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that desires to have a clear and sensitive conscience. I confess that I have sometimes suppressed my conscience, burying guilt and moving on without repentance. Forgive me for my neglect and for the times I have rationalized my sin.

Lord, I thank You that You do not leave me in my sin. You use trials and circumstances to awaken my conscience and bring me to repentance. Help me to respond to Your warnings and to confess my sins openly.

Search my heart, O God, and reveal any areas of buried guilt or unconfessed sin. Bring to light what I have hidden in darkness. Help me to be honest with You and with others, and to experience the healing that comes from confession.

I pray for those who are suppressing their conscience today. Awaken them to their sin and bring them to repentance. Help them to confess and receive forgiveness.

Lord, I choose this day to walk in the light. Help me to have a clear conscience, to confess my sins, and to live in integrity before You.

In Jesus' name, who is the Light of the World,

Amen.

Comments