The Middle Way, The Silent Tongue

The Middle Way, The Silent Tongue

Key Bible Texts

Proverbs 30:8–9 (KJV): "Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."

Proverbs 30:10 (KJV): "Accuse not a servant unto his master, lest he curse thee, and thou be found guilty."

What does it mean?

The first of these passages is one of the most humble and honest prayers in all of Scripture. Agur, the author, asks God to remove vanity and lies far from him—not just distance them but banish them entirely from his presence. Then he makes a remarkable request: he asks for neither poverty nor riches, but only the food that is convenient or fitting for him. This is a prayer for the middle way, for daily bread without the dangers of excess or deprivation. He explains his reasoning with striking candour: if he is full and prosperous, he might become self‑sufficient and deny God, arrogantly asking, "Who is the Lord?" But if he is poor and desperate, he might be tempted to steal and thereby dishonour God's name by taking it in vain. His request is born of a deep awareness of his own spiritual frailty and a desire to remain dependent on God.

The second verse offers a short but sharp warning: do not accuse a servant to his master, lest the servant curse you and you be found guilty. This is a prohibition against meddling in the affairs of another household, spreading gossip, or making accusations without proper cause. It also warns against the abuse of power and the danger of unjustly speaking against someone who is vulnerable. The one who falsely accuses may find that the very curses they have invited fall back upon their own head.

The Twist

The surprising connection between these two verses is the theme of contentment and restraint. Agur prays for just enough—not too little, not too much—because he knows that both extremes carry spiritual dangers. This is a rare and countercultural prayer in a world that constantly urges us to pursue more. The twist is that contentment is not merely a virtue but a safeguard against sin. The same humility that asks for neither poverty nor riches also refrains from accusing others. Another profound turn is that Agur includes both wealth and poverty as dangers to his soul—he does not romanticise poverty as more spiritual, nor does he covet riches as a sign of blessing. He simply wants to walk close to God, and he knows that either extreme can pull him away. And the warning about accusing a servant reminds us that our words have power to harm others, and that unjust speech can rebound upon us in ways we never anticipated.

What can I learn?

I learn that the most dangerous prayer is often the one I do not pray—the prayer for just enough. I am tempted to ask for more or to resign myself to less, but Agur teaches me to ask for what is fitting for my walk with God. I also learn that my spiritual condition is intimately connected to my material circumstances. Prosperity can breed forgetfulness of God, and poverty can breed desperation that leads to sin. I must be watchful in both seasons. Furthermore, I discover that I am not to meddle in the affairs of others, especially when it involves accusations. I should be slow to speak against anyone, particularly those who are in vulnerable positions. Finally, I am reminded that true wisdom includes knowing my own weaknesses and praying for protection against them.

How does it apply to me?

Consider your own prayer life. Do you pray for just enough, or do you constantly ask for more? Take time today to thank God for exactly what He has given you, and ask Him to keep you from the dangers of both excess and lack. Examine your heart toward those who serve you—whether employees, household help, or those in subordinate positions. Are you quick to accuse or speak against them? If so, repent and choose the path of restraint and kindness. For everyone, examine your words: do you spread gossip or make accusations without full knowledge? Practice the discipline of silence when you do not know the whole story. And finally, ask yourself: do I know my own spiritual vulnerabilities well enough to pray against them? Like Agur, be honest with God about the temptations that most threaten your walk with Him.

Final Reflections

Agur's prayer is a model of spiritual honesty. He does not pretend to be stronger than he is; he admits that wealth could make him forget God and poverty could drive him to sin. He asks for exactly what he needs—no more, no less—and he trusts God to provide it. This is the prayer of a man who knows that his greatest treasure is not what he has but who he knows. And his warning about accusing a servant reminds us that our words have consequences. When we speak against others unjustly, we risk bringing curses upon ourselves. The way of wisdom is the middle way: content with what we have, silent when we should be silent, and always aware of our dependence on the Lord.

Prayer

Lord God, I thank You for Your truth, that vanity and lies should be something we strive to not have around us. I thank You that both poverty and riches should be something we strive to not be given. I thank You that poverty should be avoided, as it can lead to stealing, and a dishonoring of Your character. I thank You that wealth should be avoided, as it can cause me not to know You. Lord God, I thank You for Your instruction, that it is best to not meddle with another person's servants. I thank You for Your truth, to not accuse another man's servant unjustly. I thank You for Your truth, that those who unjustly accuse another man's servant, may get cursed, and may have God's wrath fall on them. Father, remove far from me vanity and lies. Give me neither poverty nor riches, but feed me with the food that is fitting for me. Keep my heart from the pride of abundance and the desperation of lack. Help me to trust You for my daily bread and to be content with what You provide. Guard my tongue from unjust accusations and my spirit from meddling in the affairs of others. Let my words be few and my judgments fair. Keep me from the curses that come from careless speech, and let me walk in humility and peace all the days of my life. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments