The Source of Abilities

The Source of Abilities

What Does It Mean?

This teaching addresses the fundamental question of where our abilities, gifts, and talents come from. The instruction defines abilities broadly as the power or capacity to act physically, mentally, legally, morally, or financially; competence based on natural skill or training; and special gifts or aptitudes.

The teaching then turns to the source of these abilities. The passage from Exodus 31 introduces Bezalel, a man whom God specifically chose and filled with His Spirit. God gave him wisdom, understanding, knowledge, and all kinds of skills—to make artistic designs, work in gold, silver, and bronze, cut and set stones, work in wood, and engage in all kinds of crafts. This is remarkable because it shows that God is interested in and involved in every area of human endeavor, including practical and artistic skills.

The instruction highlights four things Bezalel received from God: he was filled with the Spirit of God, given great wisdom, given gifts and talents, and given skills. This reveals that all abilities—whether spiritual, intellectual, practical, or creative—come from God. There are no "self-made" men or women. God gives us gifts and talents to accomplish our responsibilities, pursue our bent in life, and provide for our needs.

The teaching concludes with a sobering reminder: we are stewards of the talents we have received and will be judged for what we do with them. This places a significant responsibility on us. Our abilities are not our own; they are entrusted to us by God, and we will give an account of how we have used them.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is that God fills people with His Spirit specifically for practical and artistic work. We often associate the Holy Spirit's filling with spiritual activities—preaching, teaching, worship, or ministry. But here, the Spirit is given for craftsmanship, artistic design, and working with materials like gold, silver, and wood. This reveals that God values and empowers all kinds of work, not just explicitly "spiritual" work.

Another surprising insight is that wisdom, understanding, and knowledge are gifts of the Spirit as much as more obviously supernatural gifts. We tend to think of wisdom and knowledge as things we acquire through study and experience, but this passage shows that they are given by God. Every insight, every creative idea, every practical solution is ultimately a gift from God.

The teaching also reveals that there are no "self-made" people. Our culture celebrates self-made individuals—those who have achieved success through their own effort. But this instruction insists that all abilities come from God. Even the effort and discipline we exercise are themselves gifts from God. We cannot take credit for any ability we have.

Perhaps most challenging is the reminder that we will be judged for what we do with our abilities. This means that our talents are not just for our benefit or enjoyment; they are entrusted to us for a purpose. We are accountable to God for how we use what He has given us.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Acknowledge God as the Source

The teaching emphasizes that all abilities come from God. I need to acknowledge this in my daily life, recognizing that every gift and talent I have is a gift from Him.

I can apply this by:

Thanking God for my abilities regularly

Not taking credit for what God has given me

Recognizing that my talents are not my own but entrusted to me

Giving God glory for my successes

Embrace All Kinds of Work as Spiritual

The example of Bezalel shows that practical and artistic work is spiritual. I should not compartmentalize my life into "spiritual" and "secular" activities. All work done for God's glory is spiritual.

I can do this by:

Seeing my daily work as service to God

Doing my work with excellence as an act of worship

Recognizing that God is interested in all areas of my life

Not relegating practical work to a lower spiritual status

Receive Wisdom and Understanding as Gifts

Wisdom, understanding, and knowledge are gifts from God, not just human achievements. I should be humble about my insights and seek God's wisdom in all things.

I can apply this by:

Asking God for wisdom daily

Not being proud of my knowledge or understanding

Recognizing that all truth comes from God

Being teachable and humble

Use Abilities for God's Purposes

My abilities are not just for my own benefit. They are entrusted to me by God to serve Him and others. I need to use them for His purposes.

I can do this by:

Asking how I can use my gifts to serve God and others

Being a good steward of what I have been given

Not wasting or neglecting my talents

Seeking to honor God in all I do

Prepare to Give an Account

The teaching reminds me that I will be judged for what I do with my abilities. This should motivate me to be faithful and responsible.

I can apply this by:

Regularly examining how I am using my gifts

Being intentional about stewarding my abilities

Not using my talents selfishly

Living with accountability to God

Reject the "Self-Made" Myth

There are no self-made people. Everything I have is a gift from God. I need to reject the pride that comes from thinking I have achieved anything on my own.

I can do this by:

Being humble about my achievements

Acknowledging the help and support I have received

Giving credit to God and others

Not boasting in myself

Final Reflections

This teaching on the source of abilities establishes a foundational truth: every gift, talent, and ability we have comes from God. The example of Bezalel reveals that God fills people with His Spirit for all kinds of work, including practical and artistic endeavors. There is no divide between sacred and secular when it comes to our abilities.

The instruction that there are no "self-made" men or women is humbling. In a culture that celebrates individual achievement, this teaching reminds us that every ability is a gift from God. Our successes are not our own accomplishments but the result of God's grace working through us. This should produce gratitude, humility, and dependence on God.

The reminder that we are stewards of our abilities is sobering. We will be judged for what we do with what we have been given. This does not mean we must live in fear but that we must live with responsibility. Our abilities are not ours to squander or use selfishly; they are entrusted to us for God's purposes.

As I reflect on this teaching, I am challenged to examine how I view my abilities. Do I take credit for what God has given me? Do I use my gifts for my own benefit or for God's purposes? Am I a faithful steward of what I have been entrusted with? These are questions that require honest answers.

Ultimately, this teaching calls me to a life of gratitude, humility, and stewardship. I must thank God for my abilities, acknowledge my dependence on Him, and use my gifts for His glory. In doing so, I honor the Giver and fulfill the purpose for which I was created.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that is grateful for the abilities, gifts, and talents You have given me. I acknowledge that every good gift comes from You, and that I have nothing that I have not received. Forgive me for the times I have taken credit for what You have done and for the times I have used my gifts selfishly.

Lord, I thank You for the example of Bezalel, who was filled with Your Spirit for practical and artistic work. Help me to see all my work as spiritual and to do everything for Your glory. Let me not compartmentalize my life but serve You in all areas.

Give me wisdom, understanding, and knowledge in every task I undertake. Help me to recognize that these are gifts from You and to use them for Your purposes. Let me not be proud of my abilities but humble and dependent on You.

I acknowledge that I am a steward of the talents You have entrusted to me. Help me to be faithful and responsible. Let me not waste or neglect my gifts but use them to serve You and others. I want to give a good account when I stand before You.

Help me to reject the "self-made" myth and to remember that everything I have is from You. Keep me humble, grateful, and dependent on Your grace.

I pray for those who have not recognized the source of their abilities. Open their eyes to see that every gift comes from You. Draw them to Yourself and help them to use their talents for Your glory.

Lord, I choose this day to be a faithful steward of all You have given me. May my life be a testimony to Your goodness and grace.

In Jesus' name, who is the giver of every good gift,

Amen.

Comments