SO YOU ARE A KING?: THE DISCIPLES' LACK OF VIOLENCE

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. So You Are A King?

a) Jesus was brought before Pilate, and Pilate asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” After Jesus replied, Pilate asked again, “So you are a king, are you?” This put Jesus on the spot: he is a king, but his kingdom is not of this world.

b) This interview between Pilate and Jesus is recorded in John 18:28-38. What Jesus said to Pilate reveals three serious lacks. One is regrettable, another is deplorable, and the third is commendable.

John 18:36-37
36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.” 37 Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”

2. The Disciples’ Lack Of Violence

a) Let's look at the lack in Christ’s servants. Jesus said to Pilate, "If my kingdom were of this world, then my servants would be fighting" (John 18:36). But his disciples were not harming anyone.

b) Through the ages, some who claimed to be Christians have fought so-called “holy wars” of carnage and massacre. But these wars were most unholy, for Jesus as King is the "Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6).

c) Citizens of Christ’s kingdom are at war, but we fight a spiritual battle against the powers of darkness. We don a spiritual armor and take up "the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God" (Ephesians 6:10-17).


The End ...

Comments