WHAT SHALL I DO, LORD?: THE OBEDIENT RESPONSE

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. What Shall I Do, Lord?

a) Paul was travelling to Damascus to persecute Christians. Jesus confronted him. Paul yielded and asked, 'What shall I do Lord?' Paul switched to a personal commitment, an obedient response, and a loyal subjection.

Acts 22:6-10
6 “But it happened that as I was on my way, approaching Damascus about noontime, a very bright light suddenly flashed from heaven all around me, 7 and I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ 8 And I answered, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.’ 9 And those who were with me saw the light, to be sure, but did not understand the voice of the One who was speaking to me. 10 And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.’"

2. The Obedient Response

a) Paul didn't ask, “What shall I think, Lord?” He asked the right question, “What shall I do, Lord?” Of course Paul had to change his thinking. But he knew he had also to change his works. He had to stop doing what he was doing, and find out what he must do instead.

b) The popular “gospel” today is that people are “saved by faith only” and faith is given them by “grace alone”. That was clearly not so in Paul’s experience. He asked what he should do and Jesus accepted and answered Paul’s question just as it stood.

c) Jesus did not say to Paul,“You've been a Pharisee too long. You think there must be some sort of works that you can do towards making things right. But I don't require you to do anything. My Holy Spirit will give you faith by grace alone, and that will justify you.”

d) Rather, Jesus said, "Arise, and go into Damascus; there you will be told everything appointed for you to do." (Acts 22:10). Now someone will say, “Yes but Jesus was talking about the ministry to which he was appointing Paul — not about Paul’s salvation.”

e) That objection is seen to be false, for among the things Christ’s messenger Ananias said to Paul in Damascus was, "And now why do you wait? Rise and be immersed and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord." (Acts 22:16).

f) Paul had his sins washed away when he obeyed that command which required him to do two things: be baptized upon confessing the name of the Lord. Paul had asked, “What shall I do?” The command from Ananias was part of the answer and it concerned Paul’s salvation.


The End ...

Comments