WHAT SHALL I DO, LORD?: THE LOYAL SUBJECTION

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. What Shall I Do, Lord?

a) Paul was travelling to Damascus to persecute Christians. Jesus confronted him. Paul yielded and asked, 'What shall I do Lord?' Paul switched to a personal commitment, an obedient response, and a loyal subjection.

Acts 22:6-10
6 “But it happened that as I was on my way, approaching Damascus about noontime, a very bright light suddenly flashed from heaven all around me, 7 and I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ 8 And I answered, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.’ 9 And those who were with me saw the light, to be sure, but did not understand the voice of the One who was speaking to me. 10 And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.’"

2. The Loyal Subjection

a) We now turn to the last word in Paul’s question, “What shall I do, Lord?” Paul had already first asked the question "Who are you, Lord?" and the answer came, "I am Jesus..." (Acts 22:8), In the second question, Paul knew whom he was calling “Lord”.

b) By calling Jesus “Lord”, Paul was acknowledging the need to subject himself totally to Jesus. He did not ask “What shall I do, friend?” or even “What shall I do, Rabbi?” He called Jesus his Lord, his Sovereign.

c) Of course, Paul did become Jesus’s friend and disciple. However when he asked, “What shall I do, Lord?” Paul was the enemy of Jesus. But Jesus was nevertheless Paul’s Lord. Jesus is everyone’s Lord, and to his name, sooner or later, "every knee shall bow" (Philippians 2:10).

d) Do you think it is wise to be the enemy of your Lord? No, rather be reconciled to him. Become his loyal friend. He has made that possible by the sacrifice he himself made for you.

e) Paul took this message to the world and it has been passed down to you: "God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself... we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God" (2 Corinthians 5:19-20).

f) If you, like Paul, believe Jesus is Lord and have had a change of heart, what should you do? Do what Paul did. "Arise, and be immersed, calling on the name of the Lord." (Acts 22:1).

g) If and when you have done that, be dedicated and faithful to Jesus your Lord. Be loyal to him through all the journey of your life. And in that endeavor, may our Lord be your companion, strengthen you, and give you the victory.


The End ...

Comments