REPENTANCE & PRAYER (1)

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. Repentance

a) At the heart of the message of Jesus is the fact that we are hopelessly lost and need a Savior to make things right between God and us. All of mankind is lost and since Adam, had been born with a sin nature that needs fixing. Our natural instinct is to sin…to do the wrong thing time after time (see Paul’s thoughts in Romans 7-8) even when our motives are good. Fortunately, God has made the provision and perfect sacrifice for us in sending Jesus to come to this earth and to be crucified on a cross. This is the greatest story ever told. Jesus made the way for us in dying for our sins but we need to accept His free gift and acceptance of the gift of salvation involves repentance.

b) A simple definition of repentance is turning from the way we are going and to go the other way. It is like doing a 180 degree turn in our lives. It is an acknowledgement that we are sinners and that we need a Savior. One of the clearest pictures of this message came in the person of John the Baptist, the cousin of Jesus and forerunner of the Messiah. His message was simply, “Repent and be baptized.” He simply told people that they were lost and in need of repentance. This message has not changed since that time. We still need repentance because as the book of Romans says, “There is none righteous, no not one.” 

2. Prayer

2 Chronicles 7:14 
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Psalms 32:5 
I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

Psalms 41:4  
As for me, I said, “O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you!”

Psalms 69:5 
O God, you know my folly; the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you. 


The End ...

Comments