CONTENTMENT 10: PHILIPPIANS 4:11-13

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. Contentment

a) Content is defined as satisfied with what one is or has. This is a feeling that is propagated by an attitude. You only have 2 possible choices when situations arise. You can be reactive and let the situation dictate your response, or you can be proactive and choose your actions based on discipline.

b) Being content is a proactive choice in everything. It is a choice that you can make in every single situation. Contention doesn't mean you are happy in the bad times. It means you are satisfied with life because you know that God has things in control. 

2. Bible Verses

Philippians 4:11-13
“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

a) Paul really drives home the main point of contentment in these three verses.  “I am to be content” means that there is a predetermined attitude for all situations.  It is planned and through self-discipline it can be achieved.  “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” must be engraved in our hearts and minds.  When we focus on the Word, we can respond appropriately in all circumstances.  Christ is our Savior; He won’t let us down.  He will strengthen us to be content.


The End ...

Comments