Stay Close to God
A 5-Minute Devotional for Busy People
Minute 1: The Hook
You’re drifting.
Not dramatically. Not with fireworks. Just slowly, like a boat untied from the dock, inching away while you’re busy rearranging the deck chairs. The prayers got shorter. The Bible got dusty. The worship songs that once wrecked you now play like background noise while you answer emails.
You tell yourself: "I’m not far from God. I’m just... busy." But busyness is the anesthesia that numbs you to distance. You haven’t left the faith. You’ve just stopped leaning in. And now your soul feels like a phone on 2% — technically on, but not functional.
The worst part? You know the fix. But getting close again feels awkward, like calling a friend after months of silence and hoping they still answer.
Minute 2: The Scripture
Read James 4:8 (ESV):
"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."
Now read John 15:4 (ESV):
"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me."
Minute 3: The Twist
Here’s the twist that will drop your shoulders:
You don’t have to close the distance. You just have to turn around.
The Greek word for draw near in James 4:8 is eggizō — it means to approach, to come close. But in the ancient world, it was used for drawing near to a king’s throne, to an altar, to a sanctuary. It implies movement toward a presence that is already there, already waiting, already leaning in your direction.
And Jesus in John 15 doesn’t say, "Climb the vine." He says, "Abide." The Greek menō means to remain, to stay put, to make your home. The branch doesn’t strive to be close to the vine. It simply stays attached. The closeness is structural, not emotional. You don’t need to feel close to be close. You just need to stay connected.
We think returning to God requires a grand re-entry: a three-day fast, a tearful confession, a dramatic recommitment. But the truth is simpler and more scandalous: He never moved. The dock is right where you left it. The rope is still trailing in the water. All you have to do is reach for it.
Your distance isn’t a rejection. It’s a drift. And drifts are corrected by one small movement back toward the center.
Minute 4: The Practice
Five minutes. Three moves. Right now.
Stop the apology tour. You don’t need to earn your way back. Whisper: "I’m here. That’s enough." God isn’t waiting for a speech. He’s waiting for you.
Attach for sixty seconds. Not an hour. Not a worship set. One minute of honest presence. One breath. One "I love You." One "I need You." The branch doesn’t bear fruit by effort. It bears fruit by staying.
Do the next thing attached. Send the email while abiding. Drive the car while remaining. Wash the dishes while connected. Proximity to God isn’t a location. It’s a posture.
Minute 5: The Prayer
Lord, I’ve drifted. Not because I stopped believing, but because I stopped abiding. I let the noise pull me away one notification at a time. But Your Word says if I draw near, You are already drawing near. I don’t need a grand return. I just need to turn around. I attach myself to You again — not because I feel close, but because You are the vine and I am the branch. Stay close to me, because I need You more than I need my next breath. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
One Sentence to Carry With You Today:
You don’t have to find God. You just have to stop drifting.
Now go. The rope is in the water. Grab it.

Comments
Post a Comment