KNOW WHO YOU ARE IN CHRIST
THE ATTACK ON IDENTITY
Key Scripture
đ Matthew 4:3–6 (NKJV)
"Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, 'If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.' But He answered and said, 'It is written, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."' Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, 'If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: "He shall give His angels charge over you," and, "In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone."'"
đ 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."
Introduction
There is a battle that is being fought in the mind of every believer. It is not a battle over territory. It is not a battle over resources. It is not a battle over power. It is a battle over identity. It is the battle over who you are. The enemy knows that if he can control your identity, he can control your destiny. He knows that if he can make you doubt who you are, he can make you doubt what you can do. He knows that if he can make you forget whose you are, he can make you forget where you are going. And so his primary attack is not on your circumstances. It is not on your finances. It is not on your health. His primary attack is on your identity.
This is exactly what he did with Jesus. When Jesus was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit to be tempted by the devil, the first thing the enemy attacked was His identity. He said, "If You are the Son of God..." He did not say, "If You are a good man." He did not say, "If You are a wise teacher." He did not say, "If You are a righteous prophet." He attacked the very core of who Jesus was. He attacked His identity as the Son of God. He knew that if he could get Jesus to doubt His identity, he could get Him to misuse His power, to act outside of the Father's will, and to derail His mission. He knew that identity precedes activity. He knew that what you believe about who you are determines what you do.
But Jesus did not fall for it. He did not need to prove His identity. He did not need to perform a miracle to confirm who He was. He knew who He was. He was secure in His identity as the Son of God. He did not have to prove it to the devil. He did not have to prove it to anyone. He knew who He was, and because He knew who He was, He was able to resist the temptation. He was able to stand firm. He was able to walk in His purpose.
The same is true for us. The enemy attacks our identity because he knows that if he can make us doubt who we are in Christ, he can make us doubt everything else. He whispers, "You are not really saved. You are not really forgiven. You are not really loved. You are not really a child of God. You are not really new. You are still the same old person you used to be. You are still a failure. You are still a sinner. You are still broken. You are still worthless." And if we believe his lies, we will live as if they are true. We will live as orphans instead of sons. We will live as paupers instead of kings. We will live as slaves instead of free men. We will live as failures instead of overcomers.
But the Word of God declares a radically different truth. The Apostle Paul wrote, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." The Greek word for "new creation" is kainos ktisis. The word kainos means new in quality, fresh, or unprecedented. It is not just new in time; it is new in nature. It is something that has never existed before. The word ktisis means creation, creature, or thing created. Paul is saying that when you come to Christ, you are not just forgiven; you are recreated. You are not just cleaned up; you are made new. You are not just improved; you are transformed. You are a new creation. Old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.
This teaching is for everyone who has ever doubted their identity in Christ. It is for the one who has believed the lies of the enemy. It is for the one who has been defined by their past. It is for the one who has been told they are not enough. It is for the one who needs to know the truth about who they are in Christ. It is time to silence the wrong voices. It is time to believe what God says about you. It is time to know who you are in Christ.
Biblical Truth
Matthew 4:3–6 and 2 Corinthians 5:17 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the importance of knowing who you are in Christ. They reveal that the enemy attacks our identity, and that in Christ we are new creations with a new identity, a new nature, and a new destiny.
Matthew 4:3–6 is the account of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness. The context is critical. Jesus had just been baptized by John the Baptist. The Holy Spirit descended upon Him like a dove. And a voice from heaven said, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (Matthew 3:17). The Father had just declared Jesus' identity. He had just affirmed Him. He had just confirmed who He was. And then, immediately, the Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil (Matthew 4:1).
The first temptation was an attack on His identity. The tempter came to Him and said, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread." The Greek word for "tempter" is peirazĹ, which means to tempt, to test, or to try. It is the same word used in Matthew 4:1, where Jesus was led into the wilderness to be tempted. The word for "if" is ei, which means if, whether, or that. It can be translated as "since" or "if indeed." The devil was not asking a genuine question. He was not seeking information. He was planting a seed of doubt. He was challenging Jesus' identity. He was saying, "If You are really the Son of God, prove it. If You are really who You say You are, demonstrate it. If You are really the Son of God, use Your power to satisfy Your hunger."
But Jesus did not fall for it. He answered, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'" Jesus did not need to prove His identity. He did not need to perform a miracle to confirm who He was. He knew who He was. He was secure in His identity as the Son of God. He did not have to prove it to the devil. He did not have to prove it to anyone. He knew who He was, and because He knew who He was, He was able to resist the temptation.
The second temptation was also an attack on His identity. The devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: 'He shall give His angels charge over you,' and, 'In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.'" The devil was quoting Scripture. He was twisting it. He was using it to tempt Jesus to act presumptuously. He was saying, "If You are really the Son of God, prove it by throwing Yourself down. If You are really who You say You are, force the Father to rescue You. If You are really the Son of God, put God to the test."
But Jesus did not fall for it. He answered, "It is written again, 'You shall not tempt the Lord your God'" (Matthew 4:7). Jesus did not need to prove His identity. He did not need to test the Father. He did not need to force a miracle. He knew who He was. He was secure in His identity. He trusted the Father. He did not need to prove anything to anyone. He knew who He was.
2 Corinthians 5:17 expands on this truth. Paul writes, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."
The phrase "in Christ" is the key. It refers to your position in Him. It refers to your union with Him. It refers to your relationship with Him. If you are in Christ, you are a new creation. It is not a possibility; it is a reality. It is not a future hope; it is a present truth. It is not something you have to become; it is something you already are.
The Greek word for "new creation" is kainos ktisis. The word kainos means new in quality, fresh, or unprecedented. It is not just new in time; it is new in nature. It is something that has never existed before. The word ktisis means creation, creature, or thing created. Paul is saying that when you come to Christ, you are not just forgiven; you are recreated. You are not just cleaned up; you are made new. You are not just improved; you are transformed.
The phrase "old things have passed away" is crucial. The Greek word for "passed away" is parerchomai, which means to pass by, to go away, or to disappear. The old has gone. It is no longer here. It is no longer the defining reality of your life. Your old identity, your old nature, your old patterns of sin, your old shame—all of it has passed away. It is gone. And "behold, all things have become new." The word "behold" is idou, which is an exclamation of wonder. Look! See! Pay attention! All things are new. Not some things. Not a few things. All things. Your identity is new. Your purpose is new. Your destiny is new. Your heart is new. Your mind is new. Everything is new.
The principle of identity is woven throughout Scripture. When God created Adam, He created him in His own image (Genesis 1:27). When God called Abraham, He changed his name from Abram to Abraham, meaning "father of many nations" (Genesis 17:5). When God called Peter, He changed his name from Simon to Peter, meaning "rock" (John 1:42). When God called Paul, He changed his name from Saul to Paul, and his identity from persecutor to apostle (Acts 9:1-19). The pattern is clear: God changes identity. He renames. He redefines. He recreates. And when He changes your identity, He changes your destiny.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus knew who He was. He knew He was the Son of God. He knew He was the Messiah. He knew He was the Savior of the world. He knew His identity. And because He knew His identity, He was not swayed by the opinions of others. He was not moved by the accusations of the Pharisees. He was not shaken by the rejection of the crowds. He was not tempted by the devil's lies. He knew who He was. And He lived out of that identity. He walked in His purpose. He fulfilled His mission. He glorified the Father. And He calls us to do the same.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we believe the lies of the enemy. The enemy is the father of lies (John 8:44). He whispers to us, "You are worthless. You are unlovable. You are a failure. You are beyond redemption. You are not enough." And we believe him. We accept his lies as truth. We define ourselves by his accusations. But we must not believe the lies. We must reject them. We must replace them with the truth of God's Word.
Second, we define ourselves by our past. We say, "I am a divorcee. I am an addict. I am a failure. I am a victim." We let our past define our present. We let our mistakes determine our identity. But our past does not define us. Our past is forgiven. Our past is under the blood. Our past is gone. We are new creations in Christ. Old things have passed away. All things have become new.
Third, we define ourselves by our performance. We say, "I am a good person because I do good things. I am a Christian because I go to church. I am righteous because I obey the rules." We base our identity on what we do rather than on who we are in Christ. But our identity is not based on our performance. It is based on Christ's performance. It is based on His finished work on the cross. We are not accepted because of what we do; we are accepted because of what He did.
Fourth, we define ourselves by the opinions of others. We say, "I am what people say I am. I am what my parents said I am. I am what my boss said I am. I am what my friends say I am." We let other people's opinions define us. But the only opinion that matters is God's opinion. He says you are chosen. He says you are royal. He says you are holy. He says you are special. He says you are His workmanship. His opinion is the only one that matters.
Fifth, we define ourselves by our feelings. We say, "I feel worthless, so I must be worthless. I feel unloved, so I must be unloved. I feel like a failure, so I must be a failure." We let our feelings dictate our identity. But feelings are not facts. They are not reliable indicators of reality. The truth is not determined by how we feel; it is determined by what God has said. And God has said you are chosen, royal, holy, and special.
Sixth, we compare ourselves to others. We look at others who seem more successful, more beautiful, more talented, or more spiritual and we feel inadequate. We look at others who seem less successful, less beautiful, less talented, or less spiritual and we feel superior. But comparison is a trap. It steals our joy. It distorts our perspective. It makes us focus on what we are not instead of on who we are in Christ. God has made you unique. There is no one else like you. You are His masterpiece.
Seventh, we forget who we are. We forget that we are chosen. We forget that we are royal. We forget that we are holy. We forget that we are special. We forget that we are God's workmanship. We forget our identity. And when we forget our identity, we live below our privilege. We live as orphans instead of sons. We live as paupers instead of kings. We live as slaves instead of free men. We must remember who we are.
God's Perspective
God views you as His chosen child. He chose you before the foundation of the world. He chose you to be holy and blameless before Him. He chose you to be His child. He chose you to be part of His family. You are not an accident. You are not a mistake. You are not an afterthought. You are chosen. You are loved. You are His.
God's perspective is that you are royalty. You are a royal priest. You are a king and a priest. You have direct access to God. You represent God to the world. You have been given authority in Christ. You have been given power through the Holy Spirit. You are not a pauper. You are not a beggar. You are not a slave. You are a king. You are a priest. You are royalty.
God sees you as holy. Not because of your own righteousness, but because of Christ's righteousness imputed to you. You have been set apart. You have been consecrated. You have been dedicated to God. You are not like the world. You are different. You are distinct. You are holy. You are sanctified. You are set apart for His purposes.
God's perspective is that you are His special treasure. You are His prized possession. You are His beloved bride. You are His inheritance. You belong to Him. You are precious in His sight. You are the apple of His eye. He loves you with an everlasting love. He delights in you. He rejoices over you with singing (Zephaniah 3:17). You are His.
God sees you as a new creation. If you are in Christ, you are a new creation. Old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new. Your past does not define you. Your old identity is gone. Your old nature is gone. Your old patterns are gone. You are new. You are fresh. You are alive. You are a child of God. You are a co-heir with Christ. You are a saint. You are beloved. You are chosen. You are called. You are His.
God's perspective is that you are secure in Christ. Your identity is not based on your performance. It is not based on your feelings. It is not based on the opinions of others. It is based on what Christ has done. It is based on who you are in Him. And because it is based on Him, it is secure. Nothing can separate you from His love (Romans 8:38-39). Nothing can snatch you out of His hand (John 10:28). Nothing can change your identity in Christ. You are secure. You are safe. You are His.
Practical Application
Renew Your Mind with God's Truth: The battle for your identity is fought in your mind. You must renew your mind with the Word of God (Romans 12:2). Read the Scriptures that declare who you are in Christ. Memorize them. Meditate on them. Declare them over your life. Replace the lies of the enemy with the truth of God's Word.
Reject the Lies of the Enemy: When the enemy whispers, "You are worthless," respond with, "No, I am chosen." When he whispers, "You are unlovable," respond with, "No, I am loved with an everlasting love." When he whispers, "You are a failure," respond with, "No, I am God's workmanship." Do not accept the lies. Reject them. Replace them with the truth.
Stop Comparing Yourself to Others: Comparison is a trap. It steals your joy and distorts your perspective. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are not them. You are you. You are unique. You are one of a kind. God has made you exactly as He wanted you to be. Celebrate who you are. Embrace your uniqueness. Thank God for the way He made you.
Define Yourself by What God Says: Do not define yourself by your past. Do not define yourself by your performance. Do not define yourself by the opinions of others. Do not define yourself by your feelings. Define yourself by what God says. He says you are chosen. He says you are royal. He says you are holy. He says you are special. He says you are His workmanship. His opinion is the only one that matters.
Live Out of Your Identity: You are not just to know who you are; you are to live out of who you are. Live like a chosen child of God. Live like a royal priest. Live like a holy nation. Live like God's special treasure. Live like God's masterpiece. Let your identity in Christ shape your behavior, your decisions, your relationships, and your destiny.
Surround Yourself with People Who Affirm Your Identity: The people you surround yourself with can either reinforce the lies or affirm the truth. Surround yourself with people who love God, who know His Word, who speak truth, and who will remind you of who you are in Christ. Avoid people who tear you down, criticize you, or define you by your past.
Remember Who You Are in the Moment of Temptation: When the enemy comes to tempt you, he will attack your identity. He will say, "If you are really a Christian, prove it. If you are really a child of God, demonstrate it." Do not fall for it. You do not have to prove anything. You know who you are. You are a child of God. You are a new creation. You are secure in Christ. Stand firm in your identity. Resist the temptation. And the enemy will flee from you.
Ask Yourself
Do I know who I am in Christ?
Am I believing the lies of the enemy, or am I believing the truth of God's Word?
Am I defining myself by my past, my performance, or the opinions of others?
Am I comparing myself to others?
Do I live out of my identity in Christ, or do I live below my privilege?
Do I surround myself with people who affirm my identity?
Do I remember who I am in the moment of temptation?
Do I know who I am in Christ?
Reflection
Know who you are in Christ. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is your identity. You are not who the world says you are. You are not who the enemy says you are. You are not who your past says you are. You are not who your feelings say you are. You are not who your failures say you are. You are who God says you are.
And God says you are chosen. You are not rejected. You are chosen. God says you are royal. You are not a pauper. You are royalty. God says you are holy. You are not defiled. You are holy. God says you are special. You are not insignificant. You are His treasured possession. God says you are His workmanship. You are not a mistake. You are His masterpiece. God says you are a new creation. Old things have passed away. All things have become new.
This is your identity. This is your worth. This is your value. You are not defined by your past. You are not defined by your failures. You are not defined by your feelings. You are not defined by the opinions of others. You are defined by God. And God says you are His child. God says you are loved. God says you are forgiven. God says you are redeemed. God says you are accepted. God says you are complete in Christ.
So know who you are in Christ. Embrace it. Believe it. Live it. And when the enemy comes to attack your identity, stand firm. You do not have to prove anything. You know who you are. You are a child of God. You are a new creation. You are secure in Christ. You are chosen. You are royal. You are holy. You are special. You are His. And that is enough.
Prayer
Father, I thank You for who You say I am. I thank You that I am chosen. I thank You that I am royal. I thank You that I am holy. I thank You that I am special. I thank You that I am Your workmanship. I thank You that I am a new creation. Forgive me for the times I have believed the lies of the enemy. Forgive me for the times I have defined myself by my past, my performance, or the opinions of others. Forgive me for the times I have compared myself to others. Today, I choose to believe the truth. I choose to define myself by what You say. I am who You say I am. I am chosen. I am royal. I am holy. I am special. I am Your workmanship. I am Your masterpiece. I am a new creation. Old things have passed away. All things have become new. Help me to live out of my identity in Christ. Help me to reject the lies of the enemy. Help me to renew my mind with Your truth. Help me to live like the child of God that I am. I know who I am in Christ. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I know who I am in Christ. I am a new creation. Old things have passed away. All things have become new. I am not who the world says I am. I am not who the enemy says I am. I am not who my past says I am. I am not who my feelings say I am. I am who God says I am. I am chosen. I am royal. I am holy. I am special. I am His masterpiece. I am created for a purpose. I am loved with an everlasting love. I am forgiven. I am redeemed. I am justified. I am sanctified. I am a child of God. I am a co-heir with Christ. I am seated with Christ in heavenly places. I am complete in Christ. I am who God says I am. I will not believe the lies. I will not accept the labels. I will not live in a false identity. I will live out of my true identity in Christ. I know who I am in Christ. And I will stand firm in my identity. I will not be shaken. I will not be moved. I know who I am. I know whose I am. I am His. And that is enough.
Concluding Scripture
đ 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."
A Final Word
Know who you are in Christ. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is your identity. You are not who the world says you are. You are not who the enemy says you are. You are not who your past says you are. You are not who your feelings say you are. You are not who your failures say you are. You are who God says you are.
And God says you are chosen. You are not rejected. You are chosen. God says you are royal. You are not a pauper. You are royalty. God says you are holy. You are not defiled. You are holy. God says you are special. You are not insignificant. You are His treasured possession. God says you are His workmanship. You are not a mistake. You are His masterpiece. God says you are a new creation. Old things have passed away. All things have become new.
This is your identity. This is your worth. This is your value. You are not defined by your past. You are not defined by your failures. You are not defined by your feelings. You are not defined by the opinions of others. You are defined by God. And God says you are His child. God says you are loved. God says you are forgiven. God says you are redeemed. God says you are accepted. God says you are complete in Christ.
So know who you are in Christ. Embrace it. Believe it. Live it. And when the enemy comes to attack your identity, stand firm. You do not have to prove anything. You know who you are. You are a child of God. You are a new creation. You are secure in Christ. You are chosen. You are royal. You are holy. You are special. You are His. And that is enough.

Comments
Post a Comment