YOU DO NOT NEED EVERYONE'S APPROVAL

YOU DO NOT NEED EVERYONE'S APPROVAL

BREAKING FREE FROM THE SNARE OF PEOPLE-PLEASING

Key Scripture

📖 Galatians 1:10 (NKJV)
"For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."

📖 John 12:43 (NKJV)
"For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God."

Introduction

There is a snare that has captured more believers than almost any other. It is subtle. It is deceptive. It is dangerous. And it is the snare of seeking everyone's approval. It is the addiction to human praise. It is the craving for validation. It is the desperate need to be liked, accepted, and affirmed by others. It is the fear of rejection, the fear of criticism, and the fear of being misunderstood. It is the tendency to shape your life, your words, and your actions around what other people think rather than what God thinks. And it is a prison that keeps countless believers from walking in the freedom and the purpose that God has for them.

The Apostle Paul confronted this issue head-on. He wrote to the Galatians, "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ." The Greek word for "persuade" is peithō, which means to persuade, to convince, or to win over. The word for "please" is areskō, which means to please, to satisfy, or to accommodate. The word for "bondservant" is doulos, which means a slave, a servant, or one who is owned by another. Paul is saying, "Am I trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Am I trying to please men, or God? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

The context of this verse is crucial. Paul was defending his apostleship against the Judaizers who had infiltrated the Galatian churches. They were saying that Paul was not a true apostle, that he was a people-pleaser, that he watered down the gospel to make it more palatable. Paul responded with this powerful declaration. He was not a people-pleaser. He was not seeking the approval of men. He was seeking the approval of God. And if seeking the approval of men meant compromising the gospel, he would not do it. He would rather be a bondservant of Christ than a people-pleaser.

John gives us another insight into this snare. He wrote, "For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God." The Greek word for "loved" is agapaō, which means to love, to cherish, or to prize. The word for "praise" is doxa, which means glory, honor, or praise. The word for "men" is anthrōpos, which means man, human being, or people. The word for "God" is theos, which means God, the Creator, or the Almighty. John is saying that they loved the glory that comes from men more than the glory that comes from God. They preferred human praise over divine praise. They valued the approval of people more than the approval of God.

This is a tragic exchange. It is trading the eternal for the temporary. It is trading the infinite for the finite. It is trading the approval of the Creator for the approval of the creature. It is trading the praise of God for the praise of men. And it is a snare that has captured countless believers.

This teaching is for everyone who has ever struggled with people-pleasing. It is for the one who has been paralyzed by the fear of rejection. It is for the one who has been controlled by the opinions of others. It is for the one who has compromised their convictions to fit in. It is for the one who needs to break free from the snare of seeking everyone's approval. It is time to understand that you do not need everyone's approval. You only need God's.

Biblical Truth

Galatians 1:10 and John 12:43 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the freedom that comes from seeking God's approval alone. They reveal that people-pleasing is incompatible with being a servant of Christ, and that loving the praise of men more than the praise of God is a tragic exchange.

Galatians 1:10 is Paul's declaration of independence from human approval. He writes, "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."

The Greek word for "persuade" is peithō, which means to persuade, to convince, or to win over. Paul is asking, "Am I trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Am I trying to convince people that I am right, or am I trying to be faithful to God? Am I trying to win the applause of the crowd, or am I trying to hear the applause of heaven?"

The Greek word for "please" is areskō, which means to please, to satisfy, or to accommodate. Paul is asking, "Am I trying to please men, or God? Am I trying to satisfy the expectations of people, or am I trying to satisfy the will of God? Am I trying to accommodate the preferences of the culture, or am I trying to obey the commands of Christ?"

The Greek word for "bondservant" is doulos, which means a slave, a servant, or one who is owned by another. It is the same word used in Philippians 2:7, where Paul says that Jesus "made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant." Paul is saying that being a bondservant of Christ means being owned by Christ. It means having Christ as your Master. It means having Christ as your Lord. It means having Christ as your Owner. And if you are a bondservant of Christ, you cannot be a people-pleaser. You cannot serve two masters. You cannot be owned by both Christ and the crowd.

Paul's conclusion is clear: "For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ." If you are still seeking to please men, if you are still seeking to win their approval, if you are still seeking to be accepted by them, then you are not truly a servant of Christ. Because the moment you become a servant of Christ, your allegiance shifts. Your loyalty changes. Your focus moves from the horizontal to the vertical. You no longer care what people think as much as you care what God thinks.

John 12:43 gives us the reason why many people do not confess Christ. John writes, "For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God." The context is critical. John is describing the aftermath of Jesus' triumphal entry and His public ministry. Many of the rulers believed in Jesus, but they did not confess Him because they were afraid of the Pharisees. They were afraid of being put out of the synagogue. They were afraid of losing their position. They were afraid of losing their status. They were afraid of the consequences of identifying with Christ. And John tells us the reason: "For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God."

The Greek word for "loved" is agapaō, which means to love, to cherish, or to prize. It is the highest form of love in Greek. It is the same word used for God's love for the world (John 3:16). It is the same word used for our love for God (Matthew 22:37). The word for "praise" is doxa, which means glory, honor, or praise. The word for "men" is anthrōpos, which means man, human being, or people. The word for "God" is theos, which means God, the Creator, or the Almighty.

John is saying that they loved the glory that comes from men more than the glory that comes from God. They preferred human praise over divine praise. They valued the approval of people more than the approval of God. They were willing to compromise their faith, to hide their convictions, to deny their Lord, in order to maintain their status, their position, and their approval. They loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

This is a tragic exchange. It is trading the eternal for the temporary. It is trading the infinite for the finite. It is trading the approval of the Creator for the approval of the creature. It is trading the praise of God for the praise of men. And it is a snare that has captured countless believers.

The principle of seeking God's approval alone is woven throughout Scripture. When God called Abraham, Abraham did not seek the approval of his family or his neighbors. He obeyed God. When God called Moses, Moses did not seek the approval of Pharaoh or the Egyptians. He obeyed God. When God called David, David did not seek the approval of King Saul or the people. He obeyed God. When God called Elijah, Elijah did not seek the approval of King Ahab or the prophets of Baal. He obeyed God. When God called Daniel, Daniel did not seek the approval of King Nebuchadnezzar or the Babylonians. He obeyed God. When God called Esther, Esther did not seek the approval of King Ahasuerus or the Persians. She obeyed God. When God called Peter and John, they did not seek the approval of the Sanhedrin. They obeyed God. When God called Paul, Paul did not seek the approval of the Judaizers or the Corinthians. He obeyed God. The pattern is clear: the people of God seek God's approval alone. They do not need everyone's approval. They only need God's.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus did not seek the approval of men. He did not care what the Pharisees thought. He did not care what the crowds thought. He did not care what the political leaders thought. He did not care what His own family thought. He sought only the approval of the Father. He said, "I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). He said, "I always do those things that please Him" (John 8:29). He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). Jesus did not need everyone's approval. He needed only the Father's approval. And He calls us to do the same.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe we need everyone's approval. We think that we need to be liked by everyone. We think that we need to be accepted by everyone. We think that we need to be approved by everyone. We think that we need to be understood by everyone. We think that we need to be praised by everyone. But this is a lie. You do not need everyone's approval. You only need God's approval. You cannot please everyone. You cannot be liked by everyone. You cannot be accepted by everyone. And if you try, you will exhaust yourself, compromise your convictions, and lose your identity.

Second, we fear the rejection of others. We are afraid of being rejected. We are afraid of being criticized. We are afraid of being misunderstood. We are afraid of being mocked. We are afraid of being excluded. We are afraid of being abandoned. So we do everything we can to avoid rejection. We change our behavior. We change our words. We change our convictions. We change our identity. We become chameleons, changing our colors to match whatever environment we are in. But the fear of rejection is a snare. It keeps us from being who God created us to be. It keeps us from doing what God called us to do.

Third, we compromise our convictions to fit in. We water down the truth to avoid offending people. We soften the gospel to make it more palatable. We stay silent when we should speak. We go along with the crowd when we should stand alone. We compromise our convictions to fit in. But compromise is a slippery slope. It leads to further compromise. It leads to moral decay. It leads to spiritual destruction. We must not compromise our convictions. We must stand on the truth. We must stand on God's Word. We must stand on righteousness. Even if it costs us the approval of others.

Fourth, we measure our worth by the opinions of others. We let other people's opinions determine our value. We let other people's words determine our identity. We let other people's approval determine our worth. But our worth is not determined by the opinions of others. Our worth is determined by God. He created us. He loves us. He sent His Son to die for us. He adopted us into His family. He has a purpose for our lives. Our worth is not in the applause of the crowd. Our worth is in the arms of the Father.

Fifth, we become paralyzed by the fear of what others will think. We are so afraid of what others will think that we do nothing. We do not step out in faith. We do not pursue our calling. We do not use our gifts. We do not take risks. We do not follow God's leading. We are paralyzed by the fear of man. But the fear of man is a snare (Proverbs 29:25). It keeps us from walking in the freedom and the purpose that God has for us. We must break free from the fear of man. We must fear God alone.

Sixth, we believe that people-pleasing is the same as being kind. We think that if we are people-pleasers, we are just being kind. We think that if we are always accommodating, we are just being loving. But people-pleasing is not the same as kindness. Kindness is motivated by love. People-pleasing is motivated by fear. Kindness serves others for their good. People-pleasing serves others for our own approval. Kindness is rooted in security. People-pleasing is rooted in insecurity. We must not confuse the two.

Seventh, we forget that we cannot please everyone. No matter what you do, someone will be unhappy. No matter what you say, someone will be offended. No matter what you decide, someone will disagree. You cannot please everyone. It is impossible. So stop trying. Stop exhausting yourself trying to win the approval of everyone. Seek God's approval alone. And let the chips fall where they may.

God's Perspective

God views your need for approval as a misplaced dependency. He does not want you to depend on the approval of people. He does not want you to depend on the applause of the crowd. He does not want you to depend on the opinions of others. He wants you to depend on Him. He wants you to find your approval in Him. He wants you to find your identity in Him. He wants you to find your worth in Him. He is the only one whose approval truly matters.

God's perspective is that He is the only one who knows you completely. People only see the outside. They only see what you show them. They only see the highlight reel. But God sees the heart. He knows your thoughts. He knows your motives. He knows your struggles. He knows your fears. He knows your dreams. He knows everything about you. And He loves you completely. His approval is the only approval that matters. His acceptance is the only acceptance that matters. His love is the only love that matters.

God sees your fear of man as a form of idolatry. When you fear people more than you fear God, you are putting them above God. When you seek their approval more than you seek God's approval, you are worshipping them. When you let their opinions determine your actions, you are letting them be your lord. God will not share His glory with another (Isaiah 42:8). He will not tolerate idols in your life. He calls you to fear Him alone. He calls you to seek His approval alone.

God's perspective is that He has already approved you in Christ. The moment you put your faith in Jesus, God the Father approved you. He accepted you. He adopted you. He declared you righteous. He declared you holy. He declared you blameless. He declared you His child. You do not have to earn His approval. You already have it. You do not have to work for His acceptance. You already have it. You do not have to perform for His love. You already have it. You are approved in Christ.

God sees your people-pleasing as a sign of insecurity. When you are secure in God's love, you do not need the approval of others. When you are secure in God's acceptance, you do not need the applause of the crowd. When you are secure in God's approval, you do not need the validation of people. People-pleasing comes from insecurity. It comes from not knowing who you are in Christ. It comes from not believing that you are loved and accepted by God. When you truly know who you are in Christ, you will be free from the need for everyone's approval.

God's perspective is that He is the one you should be pleasing. Not people. Not the crowd. Not the culture. Not the world. God. He is the one who created you. He is the one who saved you. He is the one who called you. He is the one who will judge you. He is the one who will reward you. He is the one you should be pleasing. Make it your aim to please Him. Make it your goal to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." That is the only approval that ultimately matters.

Practical Application

Identify Your People-Pleasing Patterns: Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any people-pleasing patterns in your life. Ask Him to show you where you have compromised your convictions to fit in. Ask Him to show you where you have been afraid of what others will think. Ask Him to show you where you have sought the approval of people more than the approval of God. Confess these patterns. Repent of them. Ask God to free you from them.

Find Your Identity in Christ: The antidote to people-pleasing is finding your identity in Christ. You are not who people say you are. You are not who the world says you are. You are not who your feelings say you are. You are who God says you are. You are a child of God. You are loved. You are accepted. You are forgiven. You are redeemed. You are chosen. You are called. You are His. When you know who you are in Christ, you will be free from the need for everyone's approval.

Seek God's Approval Alone: Make it your aim to please God. Make it your goal to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." Seek His approval alone. Do not worry about what people think. Do not worry about what they say. Do not worry about their opinions. Seek God's approval. And let everything else fade into the background.

Be Willing to Stand Alone: Sometimes standing for truth means standing alone. Sometimes obeying God means being rejected by the crowd. Sometimes doing what is right means being mocked, criticized, or persecuted. Be willing to stand alone. Be willing to be different. Be willing to pay the price. God is with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Speak the Truth in Love: When you speak the truth, do it in love. Do not be arrogant. Do not be harsh. Do not be self-righteous. Speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). Let your words be gracious, seasoned with salt (Colossians 4:6). Let your life be a testimony of God's grace. Let your love be a witness to the world.

Surround Yourself with People Who Love God: The people you surround yourself with will influence what you value. Surround yourself with people who love God, who seek His approval, who are secure in their identity in Christ. They will encourage you. They will inspire you. They will help you keep your focus on the right things.

Pray for Freedom from the Fear of Man: Ask God to free you from the fear of man. Ask Him to break the snare of people-pleasing in your life. Ask Him to give you the courage to stand alone, to speak the truth, and to seek His approval alone. He will answer. He will set you free. He will make you a bondservant of Christ, not a people-pleaser.

Ask Yourself

Do I need everyone's approval?

Am I a people-pleaser?

Do I fear the rejection of others?

Do I compromise my convictions to fit in?

Do I measure my worth by the opinions of others?

Am I paralyzed by the fear of what others will think?

Who am I trying to please—people or God?

Do I love the praise of men more than the praise of God?

Reflection

You do not need everyone's approval. This is the truth. This is the freedom. This is the invitation. You do not need to be liked by everyone. You do not need to be accepted by everyone. You do not need to be approved by everyone. You do not need to be understood by everyone. You do not need to be praised by everyone. You only need God's approval. You only need God's acceptance. You only need God's love. And you already have it in Christ.

If you are still seeking to please men, you are not a bondservant of Christ. You cannot serve two masters. You cannot be owned by both Christ and the crowd. You must choose. You must decide. You must pick one. Will you be a people-pleaser, or will you be a bondservant of Christ? The choice is yours. Choose wisely. Choose Christ. Make Him your Master. Make Him your Lord. Make Him your Owner. And seek His approval alone.

Do not love the praise of men more than the praise of God. The praise of men is temporary. It fades. It passes away. It is here today and gone tomorrow. The praise of God is eternal. It lasts forever. It is stored up for you in heaven. It is the reward of those who seek His approval alone. So seek His approval. Seek His praise. Seek His glory. And let the applause of men fade into the background.

So break free from the snare of people-pleasing. Find your identity in Christ. Seek God's approval alone. Be willing to stand alone. Speak the truth in love. Surround yourself with people who love God. Pray for freedom from the fear of man. And you will discover the freedom, the joy, and the purpose that comes from being a bondservant of Christ. You do not need everyone's approval. You only need God's. And you already have it.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have been a people-pleaser. I have sought the approval of men more than Your approval. I have feared the rejection of others more than I have feared You. I have compromised my convictions to fit in. I have measured my worth by the opinions of others. I have been paralyzed by the fear of what others will think. Forgive me. Today, I choose to break free from the snare of people-pleasing. I choose to seek Your approval alone. I choose to find my identity in Christ. I choose to be willing to stand alone. I choose to speak the truth in love. I choose to surround myself with people who love You. I choose to fear You alone. Help me to be a bondservant of Christ, not a people-pleaser. Help me to love Your praise more than the praise of men. Help me to seek Your approval alone. I do not need everyone's approval. I only need Yours. And I have it in Christ. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I do not need everyone's approval. I only need God's approval. I will not be a people-pleaser. I will be a bondservant of Christ. I will not seek the approval of men. I will seek the approval of God. I will not fear the rejection of others. I will fear God alone. I will not compromise my convictions to fit in. I will stand on the truth. I will not measure my worth by the opinions of others. I will find my worth in Christ. I will not be paralyzed by the fear of what others will think. I will step out in faith. I will seek God's approval alone. I will love His praise more than the praise of men. I am approved in Christ. I am accepted in Christ. I am loved in Christ. I am secure in Christ. I do not need everyone's approval. I only need God's. And I have it. I have it. I have it.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Galatians 1:10 (NKJV)
"For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."

A Final Word

You do not need everyone's approval. This is the truth. This is the freedom. This is the invitation. You do not need to be liked by everyone. You do not need to be accepted by everyone. You do not need to be approved by everyone. You do not need to be understood by everyone. You do not need to be praised by everyone. You only need God's approval. You only need God's acceptance. You only need God's love. And you already have it in Christ.

If you are still seeking to please men, you are not a bondservant of Christ. You cannot serve two masters. You cannot be owned by both Christ and the crowd. You must choose. You must decide. You must pick one. Will you be a people-pleaser, or will you be a bondservant of Christ? The choice is yours. Choose wisely. Choose Christ. Make Him your Master. Make Him your Lord. Make Him your Owner. And seek His approval alone.

Do not love the praise of men more than the praise of God. The praise of men is temporary. It fades. It passes away. It is here today and gone tomorrow. The praise of God is eternal. It lasts forever. It is stored up for you in heaven. It is the reward of those who seek His approval alone. So seek His approval. Seek His praise. Seek His glory. And let the applause of men fade into the background.

So break free from the snare of people-pleasing. Find your identity in Christ. Seek God's approval alone. Be willing to stand alone. Speak the truth in love. Surround yourself with people who love God. Pray for freedom from the fear of man. And you will discover the freedom, the joy, and the purpose that comes from being a bondservant of Christ. You do not need everyone's approval. You only need God's. And you already have it.

Comments