THE OVERCOMER

(Message by Tanny Keng)

0. Introduction

a) What do you think is the most crucial thing God is doing right NOW? Out of everything he created, from the vast universe to the smallest particle, God concerted attention is fixed on training his children to have the same character he has.

i) 14. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. 15. Now you have not received a spirit of bondage again unto fear . . . 16. The Spirit itself bears witness conjointly with our own spirit, testifying that we are the children of God. 17. Now if we are children, we are also heirs - truly, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ . . . we may also be glorified together with Him. (Romans 8)

b) Our wonderful eternal destiny, what Jesus suffered and died to make possible, is to become God's own spiritual children.

i) 2. Beloved, now we are the children of God, and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be; but we know that when He is manifested, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him exactly as He is. (1John 3)

c) Jesus only finished PART of God's great plan by dying on the cross. The remainder of the plan involves you and me personally.

d) Yes, Christ has a work to do in us, but we must do something as well. Salvation is free, but not in the sense that we are free to do whatever OUR will is. We must be serious about overcomimg sin and self in this life. God warns us that overcoming is NOT an option if we are to receive the gift of eternal life. His warnings that overcoming MATTERS ring true loud and clear in the book of Revelation when he issues a reward challenge to those in the seven churches.

To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life
He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.
And he who overcomes . . . to him I will give power over the nations
He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments
(Revelation 2:7, 11, 26, 3:5)


1. A mystery

a) There is a mystery in the Bible - the mystery of how we are to be overcoming sin and receive salvation. In the book of Colossians the apostle Paul reveals the answer to the mystery.

i) 26. Even the mystery that has been hidden from ages and from generations, but has now been revealed to His saints; 27. To whom God did will to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; WHICH IS CHRIST IN YOU, THE HOPE OF GLORY; (Colossians 1)

2. Overcome what?

a) It is Christ IN a believer that helps he or she overcome. But WHAT are we to be overcoming? True Christians fight a constant daily battle against the never relenting pulls of their self-defeating human nature. Paul talking about this constant internal war in the book of Romans.

i) 15. Because what I am working out myself, I do not know. For what I do not desire to do, this I do; moreover, what I hate, this is what I do. 

ii) 18. Because I fully understand that there is not dwelling within me - that is, within my fleshly being - any good. For the desire to do good is present within me; but how to work out that which is good, I do not find. 

iii) 19. For the good that I desire to do, I am not doing; but the evil that I do not desire to do, this I am doing. 

iv) 21. Consequently, I find this law in my members, that when I desire to do good, evil is present with me. 23. But I see another law within my own members, warring against the law of my mind, and leading me captive . . . 24. O what a wretched man I am! Who shall save me from the body of this death? (Romans 7)

b) Does Paul find an answer to his question regarding WHO will save him from HIMSELF, who shall rescue him from an inevitable death? Yes, he does. His answer is in verse 25, "I thank God for His salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ!"

c) The only way to be victorious in overcoming is to surrender ourselves to God and let Christ direct our lives. win this battle is to have an unconditional surrender to let Christ direct our lives. As we overcome, our sinful thoughts and actions will become fewer as we grow in the grace and knowledge of God.

3. Five things to remember

a) What should we do when we are in the middle of trials and feel we have reached a point of spiritual fainting? We should pray and ask God to strengthen us. It will also greatly help to remind ourselves of the following Biblical principles.

i) If we are willing to trust God, and not our own human nature, he will direct our ways IF we also acknowledge that it is his power that makes our overcoming possible. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

ii) ALL humans are tempted by sin. The temptations that have come your way are no different from the ones that have tried humans that have lived before you. God promises to help us bear whatever comes our way. (1Corinthians 10:13)

iii) God promises that if we are willing to honestly confess our sins to him he WILL forgive us. (1John 1:9)

iv) We can do ANYTHING through the power of Christ in us. (Philippians 4:13)

v) No matter what happens, God has promised that in the end he will make it all work out for our eternal good! (Romans 8:28)


The End ...

Comments