Get Up Again

Get Up Again

An Elaborate Devotion for Busy People

Opening Stillness (1 Minute)

You are on the ground.

Not metaphorically—you know the feeling. The wind knocked out of you. The taste of dust in your mouth. The shame of having fallen in front of people, or worse, in the quiet where no one saw but you know. The heaviness of your own body saying, "Stay here. It's easier. The floor is solid. The air is still. If you don't get up, you can't fall again."

And maybe you have been down for a while. A day. A month. A year. You have made the floor familiar. You have named it realism, or self-care, or just "this is who I am now."

Before you read on, do not get up yet. Just lie there for one minute more. Not in surrender to despair, but in honesty. Let God meet you on the floor. He is not standing over you with impatience. He is kneeling beside you.

Breathe. The fall is not the end of the story. But neither is the floor your home.

The Anchor Scripture

Proverbs 24:16 & Micah 7:8 (NIV)

"For though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes."

"Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light."

Part 1: The Right to Stay Down

(2–3 Minutes)

There is a strange comfort in staying down.

After you have fallen hard enough, the ground becomes a kind of shelter. You do not have to perform from down here. You do not have to smile, explain, fix, or improve. You do not have to face the people who saw you fall, or the mirror that reminds you how you got here. The floor asks nothing of you. And after a season of giving everything, nothing can feel like grace.

So you tell yourself you are just resting. Just processing. Just waiting for the strength to return. And maybe you are. But maybe you have also started to believe that rising is impossible. That the energy it would take to stand is more than you possess. That the risk of falling again is greater than the reward of being upright.

The Bible does not shame you for falling. It does not rush you to your feet. Even Jesus, after the crucifixion, lay in the tomb for three days. The fall was real. The death was real. The stillness was real. Resurrection did not erase the crucifixion. It came after it.

You have permission to acknowledge how hard the ground is. You have permission to admit that getting up feels impossible. You have permission to be exactly where you are, exactly as broken as you are, for exactly as long as you need—without pretending.

But you do not have permission to believe that the floor is your final address.

Reflect: What has made the ground feel safe to you? Are you resting, or are you hiding? Can you be honest about how long you have been down without judging yourself for it?

Part 2: The Righteous Fall Seven Times

(3–4 Minutes)

Proverbs 24:16 contains a shocking equation:

"For though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again."

Notice who falls. The righteous. Not the careless. Not the uncommitted. Not the backslidden or the lukewarm. The righteous. The ones who are trying. The ones who love God. The ones who get up early to pray, who serve when no one is watching, who fight for their marriage, who battle their addiction, who parent with patience they do not feel.

The righteous fall. It is expected. It is normal. It is built into the architecture of a life that is actually moving forward. If you are not falling, it may be because you are not walking.

And notice the number: seven. In Hebrew thought, seven is the number of completion, of totality. The proverb is saying that the righteous may fall completely, repeatedly, comprehensively—and still rise. The falling is not the variable that determines the outcome. The rising is.

The wicked, by contrast, "stumble when calamity strikes." They have no resilience. No foundation. No reason to rise beyond their own strength, and their own strength eventually fails.

But you have a reason. You have a foundation. You have a God who specializes in raising the fallen. Your seven falls do not get to outnumber His one grace.

Reflect: Have you believed that falling disqualifies you from being righteous? Can you accept that falling is part of the journey, not evidence that you were never on the path?

Part 3: When Getting Up Feels Impossible

(3–4 Minutes)

Sometimes the body simply will not obey.

You tell yourself to get up. You make the plan. You set the alarm. You promise yourself, "Tomorrow will be different." And tomorrow comes, and the weight is still there, and the floor is still comfortable, and the thought of standing makes your chest tighten.

This is not laziness. This is not a character flaw. This is the reality of profound exhaustion, grief, trauma, or depression. It is the body and soul saying, "We do not have the resources for this."

And here is where the gospel meets you differently than every self-help book in the world. The world says: "Get up. Pull yourself up. You have the strength inside you." The gospel says: "You do not have the strength. But I do. And I will lift you."

Psalm 37:23–24 says: "The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand."

Notice: the Lord upholds. You do not uphold yourself. When your legs give way, His hand is what keeps you from the final collapse. And when you are already down, His hand is what lifts you.

Getting up again is not a solo act. It is a duet. You do what you can, and He does what you cannot. You reach. He pulls. You lean. He supports. You try. He empowers. The rising is shared, or it does not happen at all.

Reflect: Have you been trying to get up alone? Have you been ashamed to need help—human or divine? Can you let yourself be lifted today instead of demanding that you lift yourself?

Part 4: The Enemy Gloats, But God Lights the Dark

(3–4 Minutes)

Micah 7:8 is a declaration shouted from the floor:

"Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light."

There is an enemy who loves your fall. Not because he caused it—though he may have. But because he wants to keep you there. He whispers in your ear while you are on the ground: "Look at you. You said you would never be here again. You promised God. You promised yourself. And here you are. You might as well stay down. You are done."

That voice is not your friend. That voice is not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit convicts you of sin to restore you. The enemy condemns you to destroy you. Learn the difference.

The enemy gloats. But God lights the dark. The enemy wants you to believe that the darkness of your fallen state is permanent. But God promises to be your light while you are still sitting in darkness. Not after you clean yourself up. Not after you prove you are serious. Right now. In the dark.

Isaiah 42:16 says: "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth."

He leads from the darkness. He does not wait for you to find your own way out. He becomes the light that makes rising possible.

Reflect: Whose voice have you been listening to while you are down—the accuser or the Advocate? Can you declare Micah 7:8 over your own life, even if you do not yet feel the strength to rise?

Part 5: What Rising Actually Looks Like

(3–4 Minutes)

We think getting up again is a dramatic moment.

The music swells. The hero stands. The crowd cheers. And suddenly everything is different. But real rising is rarely cinematic. It is usually quiet. Slow. Imperceptible to everyone except the one doing it.

Getting up again might look like:

Brushing your teeth when depression told you to stay in bed.

Sending the email you have been avoiding for a week.

Saying "I'm sorry" when shame told you to hide.

Going to the meeting when anxiety told you to quit.

Eating a meal when grief took away your hunger.

Praying five words when you used to pray five hundred.

Showing up to church when you feel like a fraud.

Making the appointment. Taking the walk. Washing the dish. Texting the friend.

These are not small things. They are resurrections in miniature. Every time you do the thing that the fall told you that you could not do, you are rising. Every time you choose forward over backward, you are defying gravity. Every time you get up after a fall—especially the seventh one—you are living out the proverb.

Paul wrote: "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13–14).

Forgetting what is behind does not mean pretending the fall did not happen. It means refusing to let it define your direction. You fell. You are not falling now. You are rising. That is the only direction that matters.

Reflect: What would "getting up again" look like for you today? Not the dramatic version. The small, quiet, stubborn version. What is one thing you could do that would be an act of rising?

Part 6: Practical Ways to Rise Today

(3–4 Minutes)

You do not need a five-year plan. You need a next step.

The Micro-Movement. Do one thing today that your fallen self said you could not do. Make the bed. Take the shower. Step outside. One micro-movement is proof to your own soul that rising is possible.

The Spoken Declaration. Say out loud: "Though I have fallen, I will rise." Say it until your heart believes it. The enemy wants your fall to be a secret. Speaking your rising makes it real.

The Helping Hand. Tell one person you trust that you have been down and you are trying to get up. Do not make them your savior. Just let them know. Let their presence be the hand that steadies you.

The Grace of a New Morning. Lamentations 3:22–23 says His mercies are new every morning. Treat each morning as a reset. Yesterday's fall does not dictate today's standing. Receive the mercy that is already waiting.

The Forward Glance. Spend two minutes imagining yourself one year from now, looking back at this season. What do you want to say about how you rose? Let that future self call you forward.

Part 7: A Prayer for Rising

(2–3 Minutes)

Read this prayer from the floor. Let it be the first movement of getting up.

Lord, I have fallen. And I have stayed down.

I have made the ground familiar. I have told myself it is safer here. I have believed the lie that rising is too hard, too risky, too late. I have let the enemy gloat while I sat in the dark.

But You are my light. Even in the darkness. Even on the floor. Even now.

I am righteous—not because I have never fallen, but because I am Yours. And Your Word says the righteous fall seven times and rise again. So I choose to rise. Not because I feel strong, but because You are. Not because the path is clear, but because You are my light. Not because I deserve another chance, but because Your mercies are new this morning.

I cannot get up alone. I have tried. My legs are shaky. My will is thin. My strength is gone. So I reach for Your hand. Lift me. Uphold me. Let Your power be made perfect in my weakness.

I declare over myself: Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light. Though I stumbled, I will not stay down. Though the enemy gloats, he will not have the last word.

Give me the grace for one small step today. One micro-movement. One act of rising. Let it be enough. Let it be the beginning. Let it be the proof that my story is not over.

I get up again. Because You are my God. Because the tomb is empty. Because the floor is not my home.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Closing Blessing

(1 Minute)

Go now, not because you feel ready, but because He is with you. The fall was real. The bruises are real. But the rising has already begun.

May the Lord be the hand that upholds you when your own strength fails.

May His light reach you even in the darkest place you have fallen.

May you rise seven times, seventy times, seven thousand times—each time stronger in grace.

And may you know that the floor is a place you visit, not a place you live.

Get up again. Not perfectly. Not dramatically. Just stubbornly, grace-fully, faithfully. One step at a time.

Return to this devotion whenever the ground feels like home. The hand that lifted others is reaching for you. And the rising is already written in your story.

Comments