MAKING DECISIONS IN PAIN
TRUST BEYOND UNDERSTANDING
Key Scripture
π Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."
Introduction
There is perhaps no more dangerous time to make a decision than when you are in the grip of pain. Whether it is the searing anguish of betrayal, the dull ache of grief, the desperate panic of financial collapse, or the crushing weight of rejection, pain has a way of distorting our vision. It narrows our perspective, amplifies our fears, and whispers that we must act now—that we cannot afford to wait, and that we must take matters into our own hands. In pain, we are tempted to make decisions that are reactive, impulsive, and rooted in emotion rather than faith.
The book of Proverbs offers a timeless anchor for such moments. Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, wrote these words under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. He knew that human understanding is limited, fallible, and easily swayed by circumstance. He knew that pain clouds our judgment. So, he did not command us to understand; he commanded us to trust. Not a partial trust, but a trust with "all your heart." Not a conditional trust, but a trust that refuses to lean on our own finite comprehension. This is the antidote to poor decisions in painful seasons. This teaching is for everyone who has ever made a choice in desperation and regretted it, or who is currently standing at a crossroads with a heart that is bleeding and a mind that is spinning. It is time to trade your understanding for His direction.
Biblical Truth
Proverbs 3:5–6 is one of the most quoted and yet most misunderstood passages in Scripture. It is not a formula for getting what you want; it is a prescription for walking with God in every circumstance, especially the difficult ones. The structure of these verses is a conditional promise: if you do this, then God will do that. The condition is trust, and the promise is direction.
The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. It is the same word used in Psalm 20:7: "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." Trust is not a passive feeling; it is an active choice to place your confidence in God rather than in your own resources, understanding, or strength.
The command is to trust with "all your heart." The heart, in Hebrew thought, is not just the seat of emotion but the centre of the whole person—mind, will, and emotions. Trusting with all your heart means holding nothing back. It means surrendering every fear, every doubt, every question, and every anxiety to God. It is a wholehearted reliance that leaves no room for self-sufficiency.
The phrase "lean not on your own understanding" is the negative counterpart to trust. The Hebrew word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. When we are in pain, we naturally lean on our own understanding. We analyse, we rationalize, we try to figure out the "why" and the "how." But Solomon warns that this is a dangerous posture. Human understanding is limited, fallen, and easily deceived. Jeremiah 17:9 reminds us that "the heart is deceitful above all things." Our understanding, especially in moments of pain, is not a reliable foundation.
The positive action is to "acknowledge" God in all your ways. The Hebrew word is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You." It is not a casual nod to God; it is an intimate, ongoing awareness of His presence and His character.
The promise is that God "shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide. When we trust, refuse to lean on our own understanding, and acknowledge Him, God takes the responsibility for our direction. He straightens the crooked paths. He opens doors that no man can shut and shuts doors that no man can open. He makes a way where there seems to be no way. This is not a promise of a trouble-free life; it is a promise of divine guidance through the trouble.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we make decisions based on emotions rather than faith. Pain amplifies our emotions, and emotions are notoriously unreliable. Fear can make us run when we should stand. Anger can make us speak when we should be silent. Grief can make us isolate when we need community. Desperation can make us compromise when we should hold firm. When we make decisions in the heat of emotion, we often regret them. Proverbs 29:11 says, "A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise man holds them back." Pain is not a license for impulsivity; it is a call to deeper trust.
Second, we confuse urgency with divine leading. Pain creates a sense of urgency. We feel that we must do something now—anything—to alleviate the pressure. We become like the Israelites in Exodus 14, who cried out to Moses in desperation, saying, "Because there were no graves in Egypt, have you taken us away to die in the wilderness?" (Exodus 14:11). They were in panic mode, and they wanted to return to slavery. But God's instruction was clear: "Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord" (Exodus 14:13). Urgency is often the enemy's tool to push us into premature decisions. God is never panicked, and He rarely rushes. If a decision cannot wait until you have peace, it may not be God's will.
Third, we seek relief rather than revelation. In pain, we are desperate for relief. We want the pain to stop, and we will do almost anything to make it stop. But God is often more interested in our character than in our comfort. He uses pain to reveal something about Himself, about us, or about the situation. When we rush to relief, we may miss the revelation. We must learn to say, "Lord, I want relief, but more than that, I want to know You. If this pain is the path to knowing You more, then give me the grace to endure it."
Fourth, we make decisions in isolation. Pain makes us feel alone, and the enemy exploits this by whispering that no one understands and that we must figure this out by ourselves. But this is a lie. We are part of the body of Christ. We have pastors, mentors, and mature believers who can offer wisdom and perspective. Proverbs 15:22 says, "Without counsel, plans go awry, but in the multitude of counselors they are established." When you are in pain, you need trusted voices to help you see clearly. Isolation is the enemy's playground.
Fifth, we ask the wrong questions. In pain, we often ask, "Why is this happening to me?" or "How can I get out of this?" But the better questions are, "What is God trying to teach me?" "What is He revealing about Himself?" and "What is the faithful step forward?" Our understanding fixates on the "why," but God invites us to trust the "Who." When we know the "Who," the "why" becomes secondary.
God's Perspective
God sees pain as a crucible for trust, not a punishment for sin. He allows trials to refine our faith, not to destroy us. The Apostle Peter writes, "That the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:7). God is not surprised by your pain; He is not caught off guard. He has allowed it for a purpose, and that purpose includes deepening your trust in Him. When you are in pain, God is not distant; He is near. He is the "God of all comfort" (2 Corinthians 1:3), and He comforts you so that you can comfort others.
God's perspective is that He is the source of wisdom you need. James 1:5 promises, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." God does not mock you for not knowing what to do; He invites you to ask. He is generous with wisdom. When you are in pain and do not know which way to turn, you are in the perfect position to receive divine direction. Your lack of understanding is not a weakness; it is an opportunity for God to demonstrate His wisdom.
God sees your pain as temporary, but your character as eternal. Paul writes, "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Corinthians 4:17). From the divine vantage point, your pain is a light and momentary affliction compared to the eternal glory it is producing. Decisions made in pain that honour God produce eternal fruit. Decisions made in pain that dishonour God produce regret. God wants you to make decisions that will echo into eternity.
God's perspective is that He is already at work. Even when you cannot see Him, He is working. Even when you cannot feel Him, He is present. Even when you cannot understand His plan, He is guiding. He is the Shepherd who leads you through the valley of the shadow of death (Psalm 23:4). He does not lead you into the valley and abandon you; He leads you through it. Your job is to follow, even when you cannot see the way.
Practical Application
Pause Before You Act: When you are in pain, your first instinct is to react. Resist that instinct. Create a deliberate pause. Say, "I will not make a decision right now. I will pray, I will seek counsel, and I will wait until I have peace." This pause can save you from catastrophic decisions. As the old saying goes, "Make haste slowly."
Pray the Proverb: Take Proverbs 3:5–6 and turn it into a prayer. Pray, "Lord, I trust You with all my heart, even though I do not understand this situation. I refuse to lean on my own understanding. I acknowledge You in this decision. Please direct my path." Pray it until it becomes the posture of your heart.
Seek Wise Counsel: Do not make significant decisions alone. Identify two or three mature believers who are grounded in Scripture and who care about your spiritual well-being. Share your situation with them honestly. Ask them to pray with you and to offer their perspective. Be open to their wisdom, even if it challenges what you want to do.
Evaluate Your Motives: Ask yourself, "Am I making this decision out of fear, pain, or faith?" Write down your motives. If fear or pain is driving you, pause and ask God to replace that fear with faith. If faith is driving you, move forward with confidence, even if the outcome is uncertain.
Wait for Peace: God often gives peace as confirmation of His will. Colossians 3:15 says, "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts." The word "rule" is brabeuΕ, which means to be an umpire or to act as a referee. When you are torn between options, let God's peace be the umpire. If you have no peace, wait. If you have peace that passes understanding (Philippians 4:7), move forward.
Ask Yourself
Am I making this decision out of desperation or out of faith?
Have I taken this decision to God in prayer, or am I relying on my own reasoning?
Have I sought wise counsel, or am I isolating myself?
Am I more concerned with relief than with God's will?
If I make this decision, will I regret it tomorrow, or will I be able to look back and see God's hand?
Reflection
Pain is a terrible counselor. It shouts when it should whisper, it pushes when it should pull, and it demands action when wisdom calls for patience. But you do not have to listen to pain. You have a Shepherd who speaks in stillness, who leads with gentleness, and who promises to direct your paths when you trust Him. The decisions you make in pain will shape the rest of your life. Do not let pain write your story. Trust God to write it. He is the Author of your faith, and He is not finished with you yet. Your understanding is limited, but His wisdom is infinite. Your vision is blurred, but His sight is perfect. Your heart is breaking, but He is the Healer. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in every way. And He will direct your paths. He has never failed, and He will not start with you.
Prayer
Father, I come to You with a heart that is heavy and a mind that is confused. I am in pain, and I do not know what to do. Forgive me for the times I have made decisions in my own strength, leaning on my own understanding. Today, I choose to trust You with all my heart. I release my need to understand. I release my desperate need for relief. I acknowledge You as my Lord, my Shepherd, and my Guide. I bring every decision before You—every option, every fear, every hope. I ask for Your wisdom, which You give generously to those who ask. I ask for Your peace, which passes all understanding. Show me the path I should take. Close the doors that are not from You. Open the doors that are. Give me the courage to wait when I am tempted to rush, and the faith to move when You say go. I trust You with my pain, my future, and my life. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I trust in the Lord with all my heart. I refuse to lean on my own understanding, for my understanding is limited and flawed. I acknowledge God in all my ways, and I believe that He will direct my paths. I am not driven by fear, desperation, or pain. I am led by the Spirit of God. I will not make impulsive decisions; I will wait on the Lord. I will seek wise counsel, I will pray without ceasing, and I will let the peace of God rule in my heart. My future is in God's hands, and His hands are safe. He makes a way where there is no way. He guides me through the valley. He is my Shepherd, and I shall not want. My steps are ordered by the Lord, and He will uphold me.
Concluding Scripture
π Psalm 32:8 (NKJV)
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye."

Comments
Post a Comment