The Progression of Backsliding
The Progression of Backsliding
What Does It Mean?
This teaching provides the foundational understanding of what backsliding truly is and how it develops in the life of a believer. The instruction defines a backslider as "a person who has given up ground once taken for GOD." This is not someone who never knew God but someone who had made progress in their spiritual walk and then retreated.
The key insight is that backsliding begins in the heart before it becomes visible in actions. The verse emphasizes "the backslider in heart," drawing attention to the inward nature of this condition. The problems do not start with outward behavior but with contamination in the thought-life, imagination, and conscience. There is a time delay between the internal drift and the external manifestation, allowing the backslider to appear fine for a while even as their heart is wandering.
The teaching uses two powerful examples. Peter denied Christ three times, yet the breakdown was not in that moment but in the thoughts that preceded it. Peter's heart struggled, his confidence in himself overshadowed his dependence on God, and his denial was the inevitable fruit of an internal condition. The Prodigal Son represents a more dramatic departure, but his journey also reveals the same pattern: a heart that desired something other than the father's presence led him to a distant country, wild living, and eventual ruin.
The progression is clear. When believers give up in their thought-life and allow contamination, the truth loses its hold on their thinking. Self-judgment fails to activate—they stop examining themselves honestly and correcting their course. The result is predictable: a drift into sin, often without even realizing how far they have strayed.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the revelation that backsliding is primarily a condition of the heart and mind before it becomes evident in behavior. This means a person can look like a faithful believer on the outside while their heart has already drifted significantly. They may continue attending church, participating in religious activities, and even performing acts of service, all while their thought-life has been compromised and their conscience has become dull.
Another surprising insight is the time gap between internal departure and external manifestation. A backslider can give up ground in their heart long before anyone notices. They can allow their imagination and conscience to become contaminated without any visible change in their behavior. This creates a dangerous illusion that everything is fine when, in reality, the foundation is eroding.
The examples of Peter and the Prodigal Son illustrate different types of backsliding but share the same root cause. Peter did not intentionally plan to deny Christ. His backsliding was more subtle—a gradual shift in confidence from God to himself, a failure to watch and pray, a reliance on his own strength. The Prodigal Son's departure was more conscious and deliberate, but both experienced the same result: a separation from the source of life and a journey toward ruin.
The most challenging aspect is the loss of self-awareness. When the truth loses its hold on the thought-life and self-judgment does not kick in, the backslider becomes increasingly blind to their condition. They may not realize how far they have drifted until circumstances force them to confront the reality of their situation. This is why the Prodigal Son "came to his senses" only when he was starving and alone—the external consequences finally woke him to his internal condition.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Guard My Heart and Mind
The instruction emphasizes that backsliding begins in the thought-life before it becomes visible. This challenges me to pay attention to what is happening internally, not just externally. Am I allowing my imagination to wander into unhealthy places? Am I entertaining thoughts that I know are contrary to God's will? Am I becoming careless about what I allow into my mind?
I can guard my heart by:
Regularly examining my thought-life
Not allowing small compromises to go unchecked
Being honest about what I am thinking and desiring
Recognizing that what I permit in my mind will eventually affect my actions
Maintain Self-Judgment
The teaching notes that when self-judgment does not kick in, the result is predictable. Self-judgment is the practice of honestly examining myself, acknowledging sin, and correcting my course before I drift too far. When I stop doing this, I become vulnerable to slow decay.
I can practice self-judgment by:
Asking the Holy Spirit to reveal hidden sins
Responding promptly to conviction
Confessing sins quickly rather than rationalizing them
Seeking accountability from others who will speak truth
Stay Anchored in Truth
The truth must have a hold on my thought-life. When I allow the truth to slip, I lose the anchor that keeps me stable. This means I need to be regularly in Scripture, actively meditating on God's word, and allowing it to shape my thinking.
I can stay anchored by:
Reading and studying Scripture consistently
Memorizing verses that address my areas of weakness
Allowing biblical truth to correct my thinking
Surrounding myself with teaching that reinforces truth
Recognize the Progression of Drift
Backsliding does not happen overnight. It is a progression—a slow drift that can be almost imperceptible until it is too late. I need to be aware of this progression and catch it early.
I can recognize drift by:
Noticing when my desire for prayer and Scripture diminishes
Paying attention to my appetite for spiritual things
Being honest about whether I am growing or stagnating
Listening when others express concern about my spiritual life
Learn from Peter and the Prodigal Son
Both examples offer lessons. From Peter, I learn that backsliding can happen to the most devoted believers, especially when they rely on their own strength rather than depending on God. From the Prodigal Son, I learn that even deliberate departure is not beyond the reach of the Father's love.
I can apply these lessons by:
Acknowledging my vulnerability to spiritual drift
Not being overconfident in my own strength
Remembering that the Father is always ready to welcome me back
Responding to conviction before it becomes consequence
Come to My Senses
The Prodigal Son "came to his senses" when he was in desperate circumstances. I do not have to wait for ruin to realize my condition. I can come to my senses now, examining my heart and returning to God before I have to hit bottom.
I can do this by:
Responding to the Holy Spirit's promptings
Being willing to face uncomfortable truths
Choosing repentance over rationalization
Returning to the Father while He is still calling
Final Reflections
This teaching on the progression of backsliding is both a warning and an invitation. The warning is clear: backsliding begins in the heart and mind long before it becomes visible in behavior. The drift is gradual, often unnoticed, until the consequences become undeniable. I cannot afford to be careless about my thought-life or complacent about my spiritual condition.
Yet the invitation is equally clear. The Father of the Prodigal Son is always watching, always ready to run to His returning child. Even when we have squandered everything, even when we have wandered far, the Father's heart remains full of compassion. He does not wait for us to clean ourselves up or earn our way back. He runs to us, embraces us, and restores us.
The examples of Peter and the Prodigal Son both end in restoration. Peter, despite his denial, was restored by the risen Christ and became a pillar of the early church. The Prodigal Son, despite his rebellion, was welcomed home and celebrated. Their stories testify that backsliding is not the end of the story. The Father's love is greater than our failure.
But I do not want to learn this lesson through painful experience. I want to heed the warning, guard my heart, and stay close to the source of life. I want to maintain self-judgment, stay anchored in truth, and recognize the progression of drift before it carries me far from God.
Ultimately, this teaching points me to the grace and mercy of God. He is not waiting to punish me when I stumble. He is watching, waiting, and ready to welcome me back. The question is whether I will stay close to Him or wander away. The choice is mine, but the grace is His.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that longs to stay close to You. I confess that I have allowed my thoughts to wander, my imagination to be contaminated, and my conscience to become dull. I have given up ground in my heart before I even realized it.
Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. Show me where I have drifted, where I have compromised, and where I have allowed the truth to lose its hold on my thinking.
Lord, I thank You for the warning of this teaching. Help me not to be complacent about my spiritual condition. Give me the wisdom to recognize the progression of drift and the courage to respond to conviction promptly. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me with Your willing Spirit.
I remember Peter and his denial. I pray that I would not rely on my own strength but on Your grace. Keep me from overconfidence and self-reliance. Help me to watch and pray, to stay vigilant, and to depend on You completely.
I remember the Prodigal Son and his return. Thank You that You are always watching, always ready to welcome me home. When I wander, draw me back. When I am lost, find me. When I am dead in my sin, raise me to life.
Lord, I want to be a good man, satisfied from the fountain of Your Spirit. I do not want to be filled with my own ways, trapped in my own misery. Fill me with Your presence and power. Let Your truth hold my thoughts, Your Spirit guide my heart, and Your love shape my actions.
I pray for those who are backsliding right now, perhaps without even realizing it. Open their eyes to see their condition. Soften their hearts to repent. Draw them back to Yourself with cords of love.
I choose this day to stay close to You. I choose to guard my heart, examine my thoughts, and walk in Your ways. Keep me from the slow drift of backsliding and anchor me in the truth of Your word.
In Jesus' name, who is the way, the truth, and the life,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment