TRUST GOD IN EVERY SEASON

TRUST GOD IN EVERY SEASON

SCRIPTURE FOUNDATION

Proverbs 3:5–6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

Psalm 37:5

"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this."

1. THE SERMON

There is a peculiar anxiety that comes with not knowing what is next. We stand at the threshold of a new season—a diagnosis, a graduation, an empty nest, a relocation, a layoff—and we want the map before we take the step. We want God to show us the entire path, lit and labeled, before we agree to walk it. And when He doesn't, we confuse His silence with absence. We mistake the unmarked trail for abandonment.

But the Bible doesn't say, "Trust in the Lord when you have all the answers." It says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart." The heart, not the head. God isn't asking you to understand the season; He is asking you to surrender to the One who ordained it.

Proverbs 3:5–6 was written by a father to a son, a man who had seen kingdoms rise and fall, who had buried friends and outlasted enemies. He knew that understanding is a gift, but trust is a posture. And Psalm 37:5 uses a word we often gloss over: commit. In the Hebrew, it is gol al, which literally means "to roll onto." Imagine rolling a heavy stone off your own shoulders and onto the back of someone stronger. That is what God is asking you to do with your future. Roll it onto Him.

Every season has a voice. Winter whispers, "I am barren." Spring teases, "I am uncertain." Summer shouts, "I am busy." Autumn mourns, "I am ending." But God speaks over all of them: "I am."

2. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

To understand these verses, we have to dismantle our cultural addiction to control. We live in an age of GPS, five-year plans, and predictive algorithms. We have been trained to believe that if we gather enough information, we can eliminate risk. But faith is not the elimination of risk; it is the redirection of reliance.

"Lean not on your own understanding" is not an insult to your intelligence. God gave you a mind; He expects you to use it. But He knows the difference between a mind that consults Him and a mind that substitutes for Him. Your understanding is a flashlight in a canyon—useful, but limited. His understanding is the sun.

"In all your ways submit to him" means there is no compartment of your life that is off-limits to God's lordship. Your calendar. Your bank account. Your dating life. Your parenting style. Your career ambitions. "All your ways" is comprehensive, not convenient. And the promise attached is astonishing: "He will make your paths straight." Not easy. Not short. Straight. He will remove the detours caused by your own wandering. He will align your trajectory with His purpose.

Psalm 37:5 adds another layer: "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this." David, a man who spent years in caves and palaces, who knew the sting of betrayal and the weight of a crown, says that the outcome is not your responsibility. He will do this. Not you. Your job is the rolling; His job is the carrying.

REFLECT: What season of life are you in right now? When you read "lean not on your own understanding," what part of your life immediately resists that command? Why?

3. THE TWIST

Here is where we get it backwards. Most of us read these verses and think: "If I trust God enough, He will give me the outcome I want."

But the twist is this: Trusting God in every season doesn't guarantee a change of season; it guarantees the presence of God in the season.

We treat these verses like a transaction: I give God my trust, and He gives me my desired future. But that is not the promise. The promise is that He will make your paths straight—not that He will remove the path entirely. The promise is that He will act—not that He will act according to your timetable.

Look at Joseph. He committed his way to the Lord, and he was thrown into a pit, sold into slavery, falsely accused, and imprisoned. For thirteen years, the season did not change. The path was anything but straight by human standards. But every step was a straight line toward the throne God had prepared for him. The pit was part of the path. The prison was part of the plan.

Or consider Jesus in Gethsemane. "Not my will, but yours be done." He committed His way to the Father completely. And the Father's will led Him to a cross. The straightest path in history ran through the darkest valley. The twist is that "He will make your paths straight" does not mean "He will make your paths painless." It means He will make them purposeful.

Sometimes the most loving thing God can do is keep you in a hard season until the work He is doing in you is complete. Trust is not a ticket out; it is a tether that holds you close while the storm rages.

REFLECT: Can you identify a "pit" or "prison" season in your past that, looking back, was actually a straight path to where God wanted you? How does Joseph's story reshape your view of your current waiting?

4. HOW DOES IT APPLY TO ME?

Let's get practical. You are in a season right now. Maybe it is:

A season of waiting for a breakthrough that refuses to come.

A season of grief that feels like it has no expiration date.

A season of abundance that is distracting you from dependence.

A season of transition where every foundation feels unstable.

The application is two-fold:

FIRST, NAME THE SEASON.

You cannot surrender what you will not acknowledge. Stop pretending you are fine. Stop spiritualizing your anxiety with phrases like "I'm just trusting God" when you are actually white-knuckling control. Be honest with Him. "Lord, I am in a winter season, and I feel dead inside." "Lord, I am in a season of abundance, and I am terrified of losing it." Naming the season is not doubt; it is the first act of trust.

SECOND, ROLL IT.

Psalm 37:5 says "commit"—gol al—roll it onto the Lord. This is not a one-time prayer; it is a daily practice. Every morning, roll your anxiety onto Him. Every evening, roll your disappointment onto Him. When the thought of the future hijacks your peace, roll it again. And again. And again. Trust is not a feeling you manufacture; it is a decision you repeat.

This means you plan without panic. You prepare without presumption. You pray without demanding. You walk without needing to see ten steps ahead. The light for the next step is enough because the One holding the light is enough.

REFLECT: What are you currently trying to carry that God is asking you to roll onto Him? What would it look like for you to "plan without panic" in your specific situation?

5. ONE TRUTH TO CARRY

Trust is not the absence of questions; it is the presence of surrender in the midst of them.

6. FINAL REFLECTIONS

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart" is good news. It means you don't have to be the hero of your own story. You don't have to have it all figured out. You don't have to white-knuckle your way through uncertainty, pretending you see a map that doesn't exist.

Maybe you are in a season that feels like it is breaking you. That is okay. Bring it to Jesus. He is not asking you to trust Him because the season is easy; He is asking you to trust Him because He is with you in it. He is the God who walks through valleys, not just around them. He is the God who makes crooked things straight, even when the straightening hurts.

Every season is temporary. But the One who sustains you through them is eternal. Hold onto Him.

7. PRAYER

Father, I confess that I lean on my own understanding far more than I realize. I plan, I predict, I panic—and I call it wisdom. Today, I acknowledge the season I am in, and I stop pretending I can carry it alone. I roll my anxiety onto You. I roll my future onto You. I roll my family, my finances, my health, and my dreams onto You. I do not trust You because I understand Your plan; I trust You because I know Your character. Help me to submit in all my ways, not just the convenient ones. Straighten my path, even if the straightening leads through valleys. Give me the grace to trust You in this season and in every season to come. In Jesus' name, Amen.

PERSONAL APPLICATION PROMPTS

NAME YOUR SEASON: Write down what season you believe you are in right now. Be specific and honest. God can handle your real feelings.

IDENTIFY YOUR "LEAN": What are you currently leaning on for security instead of God? A paycheck? A relationship? A plan? Name it, and confess it.

PRACTICE THE ROLL: Choose one worry that recurs daily. Each time it surfaces this week, pray: "Lord, I roll this onto You. You will do this."

SURRENDER ONE WAY: Pick one area of your life where you have kept God at arm's length. Invite Him into it fully this week.

REMEMBER HIS FAITHFULNESS: Write down one time God carried you through a hard season in the past. Read it when doubt rises.

Comments