Strength Girded, Lamp Undimmed
Strength Girded, Lamp Undimmed
Key Bible Texts
Proverbs 31:17–18 (KJV): "She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night."
What does it mean?
To gird the loins was the ancient equivalent of rolling up one's sleeves or putting on a work belt—it meant tucking the long robes between the legs to prepare for vigorous activity, travel, or battle. This woman does not wait for strength to come to her; she actively girds herself with it, as though strength were a garment she deliberately puts on each morning. Then she strengthens her arms, building her capacity through repeated use and disciplined effort. Her strength is not passive or accidental; it is cultivated, intentional, and renewed daily.
The next verse reveals the fruit of such preparation: she perceives that her merchandise is good. The Hebrew word here implies careful inspection and discernment—she evaluates her own work with honest eyes and finds it profitable, not out of pride but out of faithful stewardship. She knows the quality of what she produces because she has invested her best into it. And her candle does not go out by night, which speaks both to her tireless industry—she works late when necessary—and to her unwavering vigilance. Her light is not a flicker that dies when the sun goes down; it is a steady flame that continues through the darkness.
The Twist
The first twist is that she "girds herself with strength"—she does not ask for strength to be given to her as a passive gift, but she takes it, wraps it around herself, and makes it her own. This suggests that much of what we call weakness is actually a refusal to put on what God has already made available. The second twist is the link between her strengthened arms and her ability to perceive the good in her merchandise. Physical diligence and spiritual discernment are connected: lazy hands produce blurred vision, while busy hands sharpen the eye to recognise quality. The most surprising element, however, is that her lamp does not go out by night. This is not merely a compliment about her work ethic; it is a picture of hope that burns even in the darkest hours. She does not fear the night, because she carries her own light into it—light that she has fed and tended and refused to let die.
What can I learn?
I learn that strength is not a feeling but a discipline. I do not need to wait until I feel capable; I can gird myself with strength by choosing to act, to rise, and to trust God for the energy I lack. I also learn that self‑evaluation is an act of wisdom. This woman does not blindly assume her work is good; she perceives it, examines it, and confirms its quality. I should pause and ask: is the work of my hands truly profitable for the kingdom, or am I merely busy? Moreover, I learn that my lamp must be kept burning through the night—the long seasons of waiting, the sleepless hours of worry, the dark times when no one sees my labour. Faithfulness in obscurity is what keeps the flame alive until morning.
How does it apply to me?
Begin your day by literally or symbolically girding your loins: pray for strength before you check your phone, and choose one physical or spiritual action that builds your capacity—whether it is a few minutes of exercise, memorising a verse, or tackling the task you have been dreading. Then, at the end of your day, practice the discipline of perception: look back at what you have done and honestly assess whether it was good, not to condemn yourself but to learn and improve. For those who are weary in the night seasons—the sleepless nights, the long caregiving shifts, the lonely evenings—remember that your lamp does not have to go out. Even a small, steady flame is enough to dispel the darkness. Keep tending it with prayer, with Scripture, and with the quiet hope that morning will come.
Final Reflections
The virtuous woman is not a figure of effortless perfection; she is a figure of persistent preparation and unyielding light. She knows that strength must be strapped on anew each morning, and she knows that the lamp must be trimmed and refilled each evening. Her arms grow strong because she uses them; her discernment grows clear because she exercises it; and her lamp burns bright because she refuses to let it die. You are invited into the same pattern—not to earn God's love, but to live out of the strength He gives and to shine with the light He has placed within you. The night will come, as it always does, but your candle can go on.
Prayer
Lord God, I thank You for Your truth, that a virtuous wife girds herself with strength, and makes her arms strong for the task. I thank You that she perceives that her merchandise is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. Father, I ask You to clothe me this day with Your own strength. Where I feel weak, help me to act in faith; where I feel tired, renew my arms for the work ahead. Grant me the discernment to perceive what is truly good and profitable in my labours, and save me from wasting my days on what does not matter. And when the night falls—whether literal darkness or the shadows of difficulty and doubt—keep my lamp burning. Let Your Spirit be the oil that fuels my hope, so that I may shine steadily until the dawn breaks. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment