I Will Not Be Afraid : Psalm 3:5–6
Psalm 3:5–6
Key Bible Verse — Psalm 3:5–6
"I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side."
Short Reflection
These two verses contain a declaration that defies common sense. David is surrounded by tens of thousands of enemies. His own son has stolen the hearts of the people. The news is bad, the odds are impossible, and the future is uncertain. Yet David lies down and sleeps.
This is not the sleep of denial. David has already acknowledged the threat. He has counted his foes. He has felt the sting of betrayal. But he has also looked beyond the threat to the One who sustains him. The Hebrew word for sustain carries the meaning of upholding, supporting, and providing for. It is the same word used to describe how God upholds the universe by the word of His power. David goes to sleep because he knows the same God who keeps the stars in their courses is keeping watch over his soul.
The morning brings no surprise attack. "I wake again, because the LORD sustains me." The night has passed, the enemy has schemed, and David has rested. Both the sleeping and the waking are evidence of God's faithfulness. He does not wake to a changed circumstance; he wakes to the renewed realization that his life is held in hands stronger than any army.
From this place of sustained rest comes an unshakeable confidence: "I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side." The math is against him, but the math is not his master. Fear is a natural response to overwhelming odds, but faith reorders the equation. Ten thousand enemies minus one sustaining LORD equals zero fear. David's courage is not bravado; it is the settled peace of a man who knows he is upheld by God.
What Does This Mean?
True fearlessness is not the absence of danger but the presence of a sustaining God. When the LORD upholds us, we can rest deeply and wake confidently, regardless of how overwhelming our circumstances appear.
How Does This Apply to Me?
Ask yourself:
What is keeping me awake at night — and am I bringing it to the God who sustains me?
Do I believe that God is actively upholding my life, or do I feel like I must hold everything together myself?
What would it look like for me to "lie down and sleep" in trust, even when the problems remain unsolved?
Is my fear proportional to the size of my problems, or to the size of my God?
Can I say with David, "I will not fear," not because the battle is gone, but because the LORD is near?
One Truth to Carry
When the LORD sustains you, sleep becomes an act of worship and waking becomes a testimony — and tens of thousands cannot shake the one whom God upholds.
Short Prayer
Lord, the enemies feel numerous and the pressure surrounds me on every side. But I choose to lie down in trust, knowing that You sustain me. Give me the grace to sleep in peace and wake with confidence. Replace my fear with faith, my anxiety with assurance, and my striving with rest. I will not fear, for You are the One who holds my life. Sustain me through this night and into every tomorrow. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment