The Wisdom of Teachability

The Wisdom of Teachability

What Does It Mean?

This teaching examines the connection between wisdom and teachability, particularly the willingness to receive correction and instruction from parents and spiritual mentors. The instruction begins with Proverbs 15:5, which declares that only a fool despises a parent's discipline, while whoever learns from correction is wise. This establishes a fundamental principle: wisdom is rooted in humility and a willingness to be taught.

The teaching then turns to Solomon as a positive example. Solomon's wisdom is linked to his obedience and willingness to learn from his father, David. The passages from 1 Chronicles record David's final instructions to his son. David encouraged Solomon to be strong and courageous, to follow God's directions in building the Temple, and to obey the Law of the Lord. He urged Solomon to "learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately" and to worship and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind. David reminded his son that the Lord sees every heart and knows every plan and thought, and that if Solomon sought God, he would find Him.

David's charge to Solomon is filled with encouragement and promises. He assured his son that God would be with him, would not fail him, and would see to it that the work was finished correctly. Solomon received this instruction and obeyed, and his wisdom and success followed.

The teaching concludes with a powerful principle from Jesus: becoming like a little child is the key to entering the Kingdom of Heaven. Childlike humility—teachability, trust, and dependence—is the path to greatness in God's Kingdom. Receiving correction in humility results in honor.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the connection between Solomon's wisdom and his willingness to receive instruction from his father. We often think of Solomon's wisdom as a direct gift from God, which it was. But this teaching reveals that his wisdom was also connected to his teachability. Solomon did not just receive wisdom from God; he received instruction from his father and heeded it. His willingness to learn from David prepared him to receive wisdom from God.

Another surprising insight is the emphasis on David's role as a father. David was not just a king but a father who gave his son godly instruction. He did not leave Solomon's spiritual formation to chance but actively taught him, encouraged him, and charged him with the work of building the Temple. This shows the importance of parental instruction in the development of wisdom.

The teaching also reveals that the instruction was not just about practical matters but about knowing God intimately. David urged Solomon to "learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately." This is the heart of wisdom—a personal, intimate knowledge of God. Solomon's wisdom was not just about good judgment but about a relationship with God.

Perhaps most challenging is the call to childlike humility. Jesus declared that unless we become like little children, we cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven. This is not about being childish but about being childlike—teachable, trusting, and dependent. This is the attitude that receives correction and grows in wisdom.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Cultivate a Teachable Spirit

The fool despises discipline, but the wise person learns from correction. I need to cultivate a teachable spirit, being open to instruction and willing to learn from those who are wiser than me.

I can apply this by:

Being humble about what I do not know

Seeking counsel from those who are older and wiser

Not being defensive when I am corrected

Asking questions and being eager to learn

Honor Parental Instruction

Solomon honored his father's instruction, and it led to his wisdom. I need to honor the instruction I have received from my parents and spiritual mentors, even when it is difficult.

I can do this by:

Thanking my parents and mentors for their guidance

Not dismissing their wisdom

Applying what I have learned from them

Seeking to pass on their instruction to others

Know God Intimately

David urged Solomon to know God intimately. I need to pursue an intimate knowledge of God, not just knowledge about Him. This is the foundation of all wisdom.

I can apply this by:

Spending time in prayer and Scripture

Seeking to know God's character and ways

Not being satisfied with surface-level knowledge

Desiring a deeper relationship with Him

Serve with a Whole Heart

David told Solomon to worship and serve God with a whole heart and a willing mind. I need to serve God with wholehearted devotion, not with divided loyalties or half-hearted effort.

I can do this by:

Offering my best to God

Not holding back in my service

Being willing and eager to serve

Giving God my whole heart, not just part of it

Be Strong and Courageous

David repeatedly encouraged Solomon to be strong and courageous. I need to face the challenges of life with courage, trusting that God is with me and will not fail me.

I can apply this by:

Not being afraid of challenges

Trusting in God's presence and power

Acting with boldness and confidence

Not letting fear hold me back

Become Like a Child

Jesus called His followers to become like little children—humble, teachable, trusting, and dependent. I need to cultivate these childlike qualities in my walk with God.

I can do this by:

Approaching God with humility

Trusting Him without reservation

Being dependent on Him for everything

Not relying on my own strength or wisdom

Embrace Correction

Receiving correction in humility results in honor. I need to embrace correction when it comes, seeing it as an opportunity to grow rather than a personal attack.

I can apply this by:

Listening to feedback

Not being defensive or proud

Responding to correction with gratitude

Learning from mistakes

Final Reflections

This teaching on the wisdom of teachability presents a powerful contrast between the fool and the wise. The fool despises discipline and correction, refusing to learn from others. The wise person, like Solomon, receives instruction with humility and grows in wisdom as a result.

Solomon's example is instructive. He was the son of a great king, but he did not rely on his position or his father's reputation. He listened to David's instructions, obeyed his commands, and sought God with his whole heart. His wisdom was not just a gift from God but the fruit of his teachability.

David's role as a father is also significant. He did not just give Solomon advice but charged him with a specific mission—building the Temple—and encouraged him with promises of God's presence and faithfulness. This shows that instruction is not just about principles but about purpose and encouragement. The wise parent or mentor not only teaches but also inspires and empowers.

The call to childlike humility is perhaps the most challenging part of this teaching. In a world that values independence, self-reliance, and assertiveness, Jesus calls us to become like little children. This is not weakness but strength—the strength to trust, to be teachable, and to depend on God.

This teaching challenges me to examine my own attitude toward correction. Am I humble and teachable, or do I despise discipline? Am I willing to learn from others, or do I think I know enough? The answer to these questions determines whether I am walking in wisdom or foolishness.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that desires to be teachable and wise. I confess that I have sometimes despised correction and been unwilling to learn from others. Forgive me for my pride and for the times I have thought I knew better than those who were trying to guide me.

Lord, I thank You for the example of Solomon, who received instruction from his father and grew in wisdom. Help me to honor the instruction I have received from my parents and spiritual mentors. Give me a teachable spirit that is open to correction and eager to learn.

I pray for parents and mentors, that they would be faithful in giving godly instruction. Help them to speak truth, to encourage, and to inspire. Let their words bear fruit in the lives of those they teach.

Help me to know You intimately, not just to know about You. Give me a whole heart and a willing mind to serve You. Fill me with courage and strength to do the work You have called me to do.

Lord, I want to become like a little child—humble, trusting, and dependent on You. Help me to receive correction with humility and to grow in wisdom through every lesson You teach me.

I pray for those who are foolish in their pride. Open their eyes to see their need for correction. Draw them to humility and teachability. Help them to find wisdom through receiving instruction.

Lord, I choose this day to be teachable. Help me to learn from correction, to honor instruction, and to grow in wisdom. Let my life be a testimony to the power of humility and teachability.

In Jesus' name, who is the Wisdom of God,

Amen.

Comments