The Wisdom of Restraining Anger

The Wisdom of Restraining Anger

What Does It Mean?

This teaching addresses the powerful emotion of anger and provides practical, biblical guidance for handling it wisely. The instruction begins by defining anger as a strong feeling of displeasure aroused by a wrong, which can rise to levels of wrath, rage, irritation, and violent frustration.

The teaching then warns against making friends with hot-tempered people, citing Proverbs 22:24-25, which cautions that associating with those easily angered can lead us to learn their ways and become ensnared. However, the instruction clarifies that being calm does not mean we must never express anger by tone or volume. Such anger is not necessarily wrong—it depends on how we express it. We must not speak to hurt, get even, or antagonize. Instead, we should stay calm enough to say what is helpful, especially when the other person loses control.

The core of the teaching is practical guidance for working to solve the problem that caused the anger. We must avoid attacking the person and instead attack the problem. This involves separating the act of anger from the person, seeking to destroy the sin problem while helping the angry person, and not investing emotional energy in issues that are not worth the response.

The instruction provides a comprehensive list of steps for handling anger and conflict: isolating fact from fiction, determining what actions are reasonable, not holding grudges, going to talk to the person involved, dealing with issues quickly before they fester, saying only what is necessary to solve the problem, being willing to listen and admit being wrong, attending to our own sin, and being quick to apologize.

The teaching concludes with a crucial reminder: there is no "righteous anger" for us to participate in. Only the Righteous Judge has the credentials. God is not angry to be mean or selfish, and we do not qualify. Instead, our assignment is to get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, and slander, and to be kind, compassionate, and forgiving, just as Christ forgave us.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the bold assertion that there is no "righteous anger" for us to participate in. This challenges a common Christian teaching that sometimes justifies anger as "righteous indignation." The instruction states that only the Righteous Judge has the credentials. God is not angry to be mean or selfish, and we do not qualify. This reframes the entire discussion—we are not called to be judges but to be reconcilers.

Another surprising insight is the emphasis on attacking the problem, not the person. This is a simple but profound shift in perspective. When we are angry, we naturally want to attack the person who has wronged us. But wisdom calls us to separate the act from the person, to destroy the sin while helping the sinner.

The teaching also reveals that anger is not always wrong. Being calm does not mean we must never express anger. There are times when expressing anger in a controlled, measured way is appropriate. The key is not the expression of emotion but the purpose behind it—we must not speak to hurt, get even, or antagonize, but to say what is helpful.

Perhaps most challenging is the call to deal with anger quickly. "Do not let the sun go down on your wrath" is not just a suggestion but a spiritual discipline. Unresolved anger festers and becomes bitterness, which is destructive to our relationships and our souls.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Restrain My Anger

The wise person restrains anger and overlooks insults. I need to practice restraint, not allowing my emotions to control my words and actions.

I can apply this by:

Pausing before responding in anger

Not letting my tone or volume escalate

Speaking only what is helpful

Refusing to speak to hurt or get even

Attack the Problem, Not the Person

When I am angry, I need to separate the issue from the person. The goal is to solve the problem, not to destroy the person.

I can do this by:

Focusing on the issue at hand

Not making personal attacks

Seeking to understand the root cause

Working toward a resolution

Evaluate the Significance of the Issue

Not every issue is worth an emotional response. I need to evaluate whether the issue is truly significant or whether it is not worth my emotional investment.

I can apply this by:

Asking whether the issue matters in the long run

Not sweating the small stuff

Letting go of imaginary or unreasonable concerns

Isolating fact from fiction

Deal with Anger Quickly

Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. I need to address anger promptly, not letting it fester and grow.

I can do this by:

Not avoiding difficult conversations

Addressing issues as soon as possible

Not letting bitterness take root

Seeking reconciliation quickly

Be Willing to Listen and Admit Wrong

I may be wrong, misunderstand, or have incomplete information. I need to be willing to listen and admit when I am wrong.

I can apply this by:

Being open to correction

Not jumping to conclusions

Apologizing when I am wrong

Seeking to understand before being understood

Attend to My Own Sin

I need to focus on my own sin, not on the sins of others. Before I confront someone else, I should examine my own heart.

I can do this by:

Confessing my own sins first

Not being judgmental

Being humble in my approach

Dealing with my own issues

Be Quick to Apologize

The words "I was wrong. I am sorry. Please forgive me" are powerful and healing. I need to be quick to apologize when I have hurt someone.

I can apply this by:

Not letting pride prevent me from apologizing

Being sincere in my apology

Seeking forgiveness from those I have wronged

Making things right

Forgive as Christ Forgave Me

My assignment is to be kind, compassionate, and forgiving. I need to forgive others just as Christ forgave me.

I can do this by:

Remembering how much I have been forgiven

Extending grace to others

Not holding grudges

Choosing forgiveness over bitterness

Final Reflections

This teaching on anger provides comprehensive, practical guidance for one of life's most challenging emotions. Anger is not inherently wrong, but how we handle it makes all the difference. The instruction warns against making friends with hot-tempered people, not because we should never be around them, but because their patterns can become ours.

The core of the teaching is the shift from attacking the person to attacking the problem. This is a fundamental change in perspective that can transform how we handle conflict. When we focus on solving the problem rather than winning the argument, we open the door to reconciliation.

The list of practical steps is invaluable. From isolating fact from fiction to being willing to listen and admit wrong, each step moves us toward resolution rather than escalation. The call to deal with anger quickly is crucial—unresolved anger does not disappear; it grows into bitterness.

The most challenging part of the teaching is the assertion that there is no "righteous anger" for us to participate in. This strips away the justification for our anger and calls us to a higher standard. We are not called to be judges but to be reconcilers. Our role is not to execute judgment but to extend grace.

The assignment for the rest of our lives is clear: get rid of bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, and slander, and instead be kind, compassionate, and forgiving. This is not just good advice but a command that reflects the character of Christ.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that acknowledges the power of anger. I confess that I have sometimes let my anger get the best of me, speaking words that hurt and acting in ways that I regret. Forgive me for my lack of self-control and for the times I have attacked people instead of problems.

Lord, I thank You for the practical wisdom of this teaching. Help me to restrain my anger, to speak only what is helpful, and to attack problems rather than people. Give me the wisdom to know when to speak and when to be silent.

Help me to deal with anger quickly, not letting it fester and grow into bitterness. Give me the courage to go to those I have wronged and to apologize sincerely. Help me to be willing to listen and to admit when I am wrong.

I confess that I have sometimes justified my anger as righteous. But You are the only Righteous Judge. Help me to leave judgment to You and to focus on extending grace and forgiveness. Help me to be kind, compassionate, and forgiving, just as Christ forgave me.

I pray for those who are trapped in anger and bitterness. Bring healing to their hearts and reconciliation to their relationships. Help them to find freedom through forgiveness and to experience the peace that comes from letting go.

Lord, I choose this day to get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger. Help me to be kind and compassionate to those around me. Let my words be healing, not hurtful. Let my actions reflect Your love.

In Jesus' name, who is the Prince of Peace,

Amen.

Comments