The Foundation of Submission
The Foundation of Submission
What Does It Mean?
This teaching establishes the foundational principle that learning to submit to parental authority is the beginning of all wisdom and the pathway to honor and blessing. The instruction begins with Proverbs 15:5, which declares that only a fool despises a parent's discipline, while the wise person learns from correction. It then asks a fundamental question: "Where does it all start from?"
The answer is clear: it starts with learning to be in subjection to our parents. The authority of parents is the authority of God. This is not a human invention but a divine institution. Subjection to parents is the law of nature—the natural order that God has established. The instruction also makes a striking observation: children never have to learn how to say "no." They need to be brought under the authority of the parents, and it is the responsibility of the parents to make this happen.
The teaching then identifies what must break before children can submit to their parents: pride. Pride must be broken down and the child "clothed" with humility. Humility is described as the gentle willingness to be taught. The instruction quotes 1 Peter 5:5, which commands younger believers to accept the authority of elders and all believers to clothe themselves with humility. The reason is clear: God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
The conclusion is powerful: only with humility can we see that others know more and know what is better than ourselves. This is the pathway to honor and blessing. Submission, humility, and teachability are not weaknesses but the keys to receiving God's grace and blessing.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the assertion that "children never have to learn how to say 'no.'" This is a profound observation about human nature. We are born with a natural inclination to resist authority and assert our own will. Saying "no" comes naturally. What must be learned is submission, obedience, and the willingness to be guided. This challenges the common assumption that children are naturally good and only need to be allowed to express themselves. Instead, the teaching reveals that children need to be brought under authority, and this is the parents' responsibility.
Another surprising insight is the connection between humility and the ability to learn. Humility is not just about being modest but about the "gentle willingness to be taught." This means that humility is fundamentally about teachability. A proud person cannot learn because they think they already know. A humble person is open to correction and instruction because they recognize that others may know more.
The teaching also reveals that the pathway to honor and blessing is not through self-assertion but through submission. This is the opposite of the world's message. The world tells us to assert ourselves, to be independent, and to resist authority. But Scripture says that the pathway to honor is through humility and submission.
Perhaps most challenging is the idea that parental authority is God's authority. This means that when I resist my parents, I am resisting God. When I submit to my parents, I am submitting to God. This elevates the parent-child relationship to a spiritual level and gives it eternal significance.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Recognize Parental Authority as Divine Authority
The teaching declares that the authority of parents is the authority of God. I need to recognize that my relationship with my parents has spiritual significance. Honoring them is not just a social expectation but a divine command.
I can apply this by:
Seeing my parents as God's representatives in my life
Honoring them as an act of worship to God
Not separating my relationship with my parents from my relationship with God
Submitting to them as unto the Lord
Accept the Responsibility of Parents
The teaching states that it is the responsibility of parents to bring children under authority. If I am a parent, I need to take this responsibility seriously. Training children in obedience is not optional but essential.
I can do this by:
Being consistent in discipline
Not letting rebellion go unchecked
Teaching obedience as a spiritual discipline
Modeling humility and submission
Break Down Pride
Pride must be broken before submission is possible. I need to identify and address pride in my own heart, recognizing that it is the primary obstacle to submission and teachability.
I can apply this by:
Asking God to reveal hidden pride
Confessing pride when I see it
Not being defensive when I am corrected
Seeking to be humble in all my relationships
Clothe Myself with Humility
Humility is described as a garment to be worn. I need to actively "clothe" myself with humility, making it a conscious choice in my daily life. This is not just a feeling but a deliberate posture.
I can do this by:
Choosing to be humble even when I don't feel like it
Putting others before myself
Being willing to learn from anyone
Not insisting on my own way
Be Teachable
Humility is the gentle willingness to be taught. I need to cultivate a teachable spirit, being open to correction and instruction from those who are wiser.
I can apply this by:
Seeking counsel from others
Not thinking I know everything
Being eager to learn and grow
Responding to correction with gratitude
Pursue Honor Through Submission
The pathway to honor and blessing is through humility and submission. I need to embrace this counter-cultural truth, trusting that submission leads to honor, not dishonor.
I can do this by:
Not seeking honor through self-assertion
Trusting that God honors the humble
Being content to serve rather than to lead
Believing that submission is the path to blessing
Final Reflections
This teaching on the foundation of submission presents a profound truth: the ability to submit to parents is the foundation of all wisdom and the pathway to honor and blessing. The authority of parents is the authority of God, and learning to submit to that authority prepares us to submit to God.
The observation that children never have to learn how to say "no" is a powerful insight into human nature. We are born with a natural inclination to resist authority. What must be learned is submission, and this learning is the responsibility of parents. This challenges the modern assumption that children are naturally good and only need to be allowed to express themselves. Instead, children need to be trained in obedience and brought under authority.
The role of pride and humility is central. Pride must be broken before submission is possible. Humility—the gentle willingness to be taught—is the key to receiving instruction and growing in wisdom. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. This is not just a principle but a promise.
The pathway to honor and blessing is not through self-assertion but through submission. This is the opposite of the world's message. The world tells us to assert ourselves and resist authority, but Scripture says that humility and submission are the paths to honor. This is a truth that must be embraced by faith, even when it seems counter-intuitive.
This teaching calls me to examine my own heart for pride and rebellion. It challenges me to submit to the authority of my parents and to cultivate a humble, teachable spirit. It promises that this is the pathway to honor and blessing—not just in this life but in the life to come.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that desires to submit to Your authority and to the authority of those You have placed over me. I confess that I have sometimes been proud and rebellious, resisting the instruction of my parents and refusing to be taught. Forgive me for my pride and for the times I have insisted on my own way.
Lord, I thank You for the truth that the authority of parents is Your authority. Help me to honor my parents as an act of worship to You. Teach me to submit to their instruction and to receive correction with humility.
Break down the pride in my heart. Help me to clothe myself with humility, to be gentle and teachable. Show me where I have been stubborn and unwilling to learn. Give me a humble spirit that is open to correction.
I pray for parents, that they would be faithful in their responsibility to bring children under authority. Give them wisdom, patience, and consistency. Help them to discipline with love and to model humility.
Lord, I choose this day to pursue honor through submission. Help me to trust that humility is the pathway to blessing and that Your grace is given to the humble. Let my life be a testimony to the power of submission and the beauty of humility.
In Jesus' name, who humbled Himself and became obedient,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment